Rollo62

Rx10.4 new feature blogs

Hi there,

I have seen already a few blogs talking about the new feature internals of the coming Rx10.4 release:

https://www.delphiworlds.com/2020/05/its-time-to-get-excited/

https://blog.marcocantu.com/blog/2020-may-per-control-styling.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+marcocantublog+(marcocantu.blog)

https://www.uweraabe.de/Blog/2020/05/15/delphi-10-4-leverages-vcl-styles/

https://dalijap.blogspot.com/2020/05/delphi-nullable-with-custom-managed.html

https://community.idera.com/developer-tools/b/blog/posts/new-vcl-tedgebrowser-component-coming-rad-studio-10-4

https://community.idera.com/developer-tools/b/blog/posts/adopting-the-openjdk-for-delphi-android-development

I hope this is ending the long, long favorized age of "SORRY, I can't say anything, because of RadStudio Beta NDA will kill me and eat my soul".

Hurray: That is a very good step in the right direction, open information instead of information hiding :classic_cheerleader:

I'm with it, and this gives all customers an early insight in the new features they might have been waiting for, in a more technical perspective rather marketing.

We trust our MVP's to give good advices, that also lead to make decisions about prolonging our subscriptions (so there is a little marketing inside anyway, thats fine).

Edited by Rollo62
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rollo62 said:

I hope this is ending the long, long favorized age of "SORRY, I can't say anything, because of RadStudio Beta NDA will kill me and eat my soul".

I think you will find that it is not a change in policy, but that they have been given permission to write about the coming release, which is likely to appear rather soon.

I see light in the tunnel .... this is one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind

@Rollo62, please; Inhale... count to 10. Exhale. Repeat.

1 hour ago, Bill Meyer said:

I think you will find that it is not a change in policy, but that they have been given permission to write about the coming release, which is likely to appear rather soon.

You are right about permission part.

2 hours ago, Rollo62 said:

"Sorry, I can't say anything, because of RadStudio Beta NDA will kill me and eat my soul" is still valid for everything else.

• Haha 1

No. I know. It is about our livelihoods. About years invested in code and all. Frustrating. Indeed. 

Update Subscription customers should receive an email within the next month on how to join the beta program.

Well, I never received anything. These mails probably don't go to the EDN accounts of developers, but to whoever in my company handled the billing for the annual update subscription. I am sure that a few years ago, I still received mails for RAD Studio beta programs.

Edited by Der schöne Günther

45 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

You are right about permission part.

The rest is a guess based on historic practice. Makes me just as right or wrong as any other speculator. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rollo62 said:

As Bill said, it's a "we've been given permission" thing. This is not new, however - I think it has been a "thing" for at least a couple of major releases now. Also, you missed my post:

🙂

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bill Meyer said:

That has been the case for several years now.  Near the end of each beta, some testers (not all) are granted permission to publicly blog about their experiences in the beta.  Note the disclaimers given at the top of each non-Embarcadero blog mentioned above (and others), eg:

"I have been given permission from Embarcadero to blog about some of the new features and improvements."

"Published with special permission from Embarcadero"

"I’ve specifically been given permission to show updates and new features in the product"

etc...

Edited by Remy Lebeau

14 hours ago, Dave Nottage said:

As Bill said, it's a "we've been given permission" thing. This is not new, however - I think it has been a "thing" for at least a couple of major releases now. Also, you missed my post:

🙂

Well sorry Dave, I added that too.

Regarding the special permission, and that htis was done in the past, thats all true.
But I have the gut feeling that I see more responses these days than in the last 5-6 new releases, maybe I'm wrong, never counted that

Edited by Rollo62

19 hours ago, Der schöne Günther said:

Well, I never received anything. These mails probably don't go to the EDN accounts of developers, but to whoever in my company handled the billing for the annual update subscription. I am sure that a few years ago, I still received mails for RAD Studio beta programs.

I got one (actually I got several), but you might be right about the billing address being the receiver for those emails.

The maintenance confirmation mail and the support terms say:

You are registered as Primary Contact for this agreement. In this role, you will be informed of major maintenance releases and you can assign and change Authorized Contacts. 

'Authorized Contacts' means the persons specified by Licensee who are responsible for all communication, including case submission, on behalf of the Licensee and Embarcadero in relation to the Services (as defined below).

Authorized Contacts: All reports of Incidents ('Incident Reports') must be made to Embarcadero by Authorized Contact(s). The Authorized Contact(s) must have sufficient technical expertise, training and/or experience to perform the Licensee's obligations under this Agreement and will be responsible for all communications with Embarcadero relating to this Agreement. The Licensee will promptly notify Embarcadero in writing or by e-mail of the names, e-mail addresses and direct telephone numbers of its chosen Authorized Contacts. The Licensee may substitute Authorized Contact(s) from time to time by giving Embarcadero at least one (1) week's prior notice in writing or by e-mail, including the relevant details for any new Authorized Contact. Unless Licensee has purchased Global Support, the Services shall only be provided from a single Center Support Embarcadero located in the same territory from which the associated Software was purchased.

There is a difference between the Primary Contact (the one who pays the bill) and Authorized Contacts (the developers using the product). So tell the person in charge in your company to assign you as an Authorized Contact.

Edited by Uwe Raabe

So if I am the Primary Contact (as I paid the bill myself) I still have to assign myself somewhere as an Authorized Contact? Damn, the Embarcadero's sales model does not change with years, they are targeting businesses, not developers. And don't remind me about all this reseller-only distribution and obligatory quote request for updates ☠️...

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Alexander Elagin said:

assign myself somewhere

I'm also Primary contact and there has never been another, the email hasn't changed from Godzilla, yet nada..

Not that I was interested but some bot shouldn't know that 🙂

• Like 1

My employer gets the bills, we developers get the invites - but it wasn't always like this.

We pestered our local sales rep to fix it.

• Like 1

The person who handled the billing received the last email from Embarcadero in summer 2019. Maybe because we paid for the Update Subscription for several years in advance, it's different? I don't know.

The 10.4 beta sounds promising - Is there something like an email address where I could ask what is going wrong here? I received beta invitations a few years ago. I remember XE6, and I think XE8.

1 hour ago, Der schöne Günther said:

The person who handled the billing received the last email from Embarcadero in summer 2019. Maybe because we paid for the Update Subscription for several years in advance, it's different? I don't know.

The 10.4 beta sounds promising - Is there something like an email address where I could ask what is going wrong here? I received beta invitations a few years ago. I remember XE6, and I think XE8.

This is not official advice... 

I would try contacting sales, or support https://www.embarcadero.com/support or some of Embarcadero Product Managers like  @Marco Cantu