lefjucabro

Record and process audio

Hello there,

I am trying to develop an iOS app with Rio. This app must record audio and process it in real time to display some graphs.

I am a newbie with FMX platform and iOS, there are lot of informations I don't get :classic_unsure:

There is iOSapi.AVFoundation unit which contains a lot of types (TAVAudioSession, TAVAudioRecorder) but I cannot understand how to use them.

For what I understand, I have to define an audio format (2 channels stereo, 16 bits), get the buffer size, create a recording task and then launch recording.

In a thread I read samples and fill them into a TMemoryStream for processing.

Do you think is this correct ? Do you have any idea how can I do this ?

Kind regards

Lefjucabro

Don't think to difficult, its all in FMX.

Uses
  , FMX.Media

var
    FMicrophone : TAudioCaptureDevice;

// get the microphone device
    FMicrophone := TCaptureDeviceManager.Current.DefaultAudioCaptureDevice;

FMicrophone.FileName :=  AFileName; // GetAudioFileName(AUDIO_FILENAME);

try
        if Assigned( FMicrophone )                                      and
                   ( FMicrophone.State = TCaptureDeviceState.Stopped )  then
        begin
            FMicrophone.StartCapture;
        end;

except
        on E : Exception do
            begin
                LTxt := E.Message;
            end;
    end;

And you have to provide the NSMicrophoneUsageDescription in the version info.

Edited by Rollo62

Hello Rollo62,

Thank you for your answer.

I was also thinking of using a TAudioCaptureDevice but it's impossible to access data before the end of the recording.

During recording, I have to get data each time my buffer is filled to process them.

We have developed a low-level audio input solution for Windows, MacOS and iOS. It allows us to process audio immediately when each buffer is filled and delivered to our code. I cannot share my code here, but here are some hints of the API functions we use on iOS:

AudioQueueNewInput

AudioQueueAllocateBuffer

AudioQueueEnqueueBuffer

AudioQueueStart

AudioQueueStop

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 11:06 AM, Hans♫ said:

We have developed a low-level audio input solution for Windows, MacOS and iOS. It allows us to process audio immediately when each buffer is filled and delivered to our code. I cannot share my code here, but here are some hints of the API functions we use on iOS:

AudioQueueNewInput

AudioQueueAllocateBuffer

AudioQueueEnqueueBuffer

AudioQueueStart

AudioQueueStop

Thank you It looks what I want to do. I will check these hints.

Edited by lefjucabro

On 5/22/2020 at 11:06 AM, Hans♫ said:

AudioQueueNewInput

AudioQueueAllocateBuffer

AudioQueueEnqueueBuffer

AudioQueueStart

AudioQueueStop

I didn't find these functions in iOSapi.AVFoundation or iOSapi.CoreAudio unit in Rio 10.3.3. Did you use these functions with Rio 10.3.3 ?

On 5/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, Rollo62 said:

Maybe you'looking for something like AVAudioEngine, as the blog said, this is much more tricky API, I wouldn't count that FMX can do that out-of-the-box.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/avfoundation/avaudioengine

If not in the FMX library, then have a look at FmxExpress headers.

AVAudioEngine is also missing in iOSapi.AVFoundation.pas from Rio 10.3.3. Do I install an old file ?

Edited by lefjucabro

All the AudioQueue... functions are in iOSapi.AudioToolbox. Do you know how to convert the SDK headers your self? - or else I can send you my version of the file.

Hi Hans,

Indeed I don't know how to convert SDK (I really am a beginner). If you have a link to explain it or send me your file if it is ok for you.

Regards

2 hours ago, lefjucabro said:

... (I really am a beginner). If you have a link to explain it or send me your file if it is ok for you.

If have sent a PM with the file, but you are far from done having this file. The best advice is to find code in Objective-C that does what you want, and then convert it to Delphi - which might include a few headaches. 

Thank you Hans. I did some tests and I am not able to compile with imported files:

I got iOSapi.AudioToolbox.pas.

I had to get iOSapi.AudioUnit.pas, iOSapi.CoreAudioTypes.pas and iOSapi.CoreMidi.pas which are declared in iOSapi.AudioToolbox.pas.

I also copied frameworks from iMac into "Embarcadero\Studio\SDKs\iPhoneOS13.4.sdk\System\Library\Frameworks" and have this issue when compile

"[DCC Erreur] E2597 NYI lto::archName

ld: file was built for  which is not the architecture being linked (arm64): D:\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\SDKs\iPhoneOS13.4.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/AudioToolbox.tbd for architecture arm64".

I am aware that files and frameworks are not in same versions but I don't know how to resolve it.:classic_sad:

5 hours ago, lefjucabro said:

I had to get iOSapi.AudioUnit.pas, iOSapi.CoreAudioTypes.pas and iOSapi.CoreMidi.pas which are declared in iOSapi.AudioToolbox.pas.

Sorry I didn't see that. I have sent a PM with those headers too.

However, there are a lot of details to figure out before you can achieve what you want. Having the headers is just a small part of it. With a lot of Googling, reading and persistence - eventually you will get through 😉 Keep up the spirit!

1 hour ago, Hans♫ said:

Sorry I didn't see that. I have sent a PM with those headers too.

Thanks Hans

Excuse me but I misspoke: I needed the xxx files and I could find them on the web.

The ones you sent me are more recent.

By adding your files to my project, I also added the corresponding FrameWorks from iMac in the "Embarcadero\Studio\SDKs\iPhoneOS13.4.sdk\System\Library\Frameworks" directory. I still have this issue when compiling  😭

"[DCC Erreur] E2597 NYI lto::archName

ld: file was built for  which is not the architecture being linked (arm64): D:\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\SDKs\iPhoneOS13.4.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/AudioToolbox.tbd for architecture arm64".

So I tried to build uptodate files regarding to this page but I have errors when compiling files...

1 hour ago, Hans♫ said:

However, there are a lot of details to figure out before you can achieve what you want. Having the headers is just a small part of it. With a lot of Googling, reading and persistence - eventually you will get through 😉 Keep up the spirit!

Unfortunately I know that it is far from being won 😀

6 hours ago, lefjucabro said:

So I tried to build uptodate files regarding to this page but I have errors when compiling files...

It's because the tools are not as accurate as they could be, and the resulting source files often require adjustment. For iOS/macOS, at least some knowledge of translating Objective-C to Delphi is essential.

I need some help about the same issue with lefjucabro

I am trying to build opus with this https://github.com/chrisballinger/Opus-iOS/blob/master/build-libopus.sh way.

But problem is delphi says  

ld: file was built for  which is not the architecture being linked (arm64): opus.a for architecture arm64

But in shell  archs is defined as

ARCHS="i386 x86_64 armv7 armv7s arm64"

What is the problem? Is there anything that I miss for arm64?

8 hours ago, H4k4nn said:

What is the problem? Is there anything that I miss for arm64?

My steps:

In the script:

Modify SDKVERSION to "13.6" (which is what I have), and MINIOSVERSION to "11.0" (Delphi 10.4 supports only 11.0 or higher)

Modify ARCHS to "x86_64 arm64"  (32-bit does not apply to 10.0 or higher)

Run the script (build-libopus.sh)

Run the command:

file dependencies/lib/libopus.a

Output:

dependencies/lib/libopus.a: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:current ar archive random library] [arm64]

dependencies/lib/libopus.a (for architecture x86_64): current ar archive random library

dependencies/lib/libopus.a (for architecture arm64): current ar archive random library

Thanks Dave.

with your suggestion ( with IOS.SDK 13.2 ) result was the same . 

I build another opus.framework. There is no error like before but I got error while app trying to launch.

Raised exception class 6

and debug info as in attach...

ios-error.png