Martyn Ayers

Problem downloading GExperts source

Hello.  I'm trying to download the GExperts source, including externals, using File | Open From Version Control
in Delphi Seattle.  On the checkout page, I enter

https://sourceforge.net/p/gexperts/code/HEAD/tree/trunk

as the Url of Repository.  A few moments after clicking OK I get the error message

Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://sourceforge.net/p/gexperts/code/HEAD/tree/trunk'
  XML Parsing failed: Unexpected root element 'html'

Am I doing something incorrectly or is there some other problem?

FWIW, I am trying to download the source this way because the Zip file

gexperts-code-r3140-trunk-Source.Zip

I downloaded manually does not include a number of source files which are referenced by the GX_*.Pas files it contains.

TIA

The correct url is https://svn.code.sf.net/p/gexperts/code/trunk .

And there is howto on cmpiling it here: https://blog.dummzeuch.de/gexperts-documentation/compiling-gexperts/

I guess you got the zip file from sourceforge's "generate snapshot" function. I have never used it, no idea if and how it works. I just now discovered that there is such a button. I got a snapshot of revisoin 3141 and it looks OK.

Which files are missing? Maybe I forgot to commit something.

Thomas,

Many thanks for the reply, which worked perfectly.

I haven't tried compiling the source yet, but I can see at a glance that it includes various sources which were missing from the zip file I mentioned (the SynEdit stuff, your own dzlib, etc.,

Just so you know, I was led to the url I was using

https://sourceforge.net/p/gexperts/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/Source/

via a link from a post here, and the zip file was generated by clicking the Download Snapshot link on the RHS.

Cheers, Martyn (aka MartynA on SO)

@dummzeuch, thank you for your support and further development of GExperts.

To compile the source files in Rad Studio 10.3.3, I needed to make the following changes:
1. In the source code of the GX_DbugIntf.pas unit, replace {$ I 'dbugintf.pas'} with {$ I '.. \ .. \ ExternalSource \ dbugintf.pas'}
2. Add 'VCL' to the 'Unit scope names' in project properties GExpertsPeInformation.dpr, ExpertManager.dpr, GExpertsGrep.dpr
3. Add the string '.. \ .. \ .. \ .. \ ExternalSource \ dzlib' to 'Search Path' and 'NO_TRANSLATION' to 'Conditional defines' in the GExpertsFormatter.dpr, GExpertsDebugWindow.dpr projects properties

4. To compile GExperts from a directory containing spaces, i changed the prebuild.cmd file a little (the modified file in the attachment)

Edited by Dinar

Thanks for the hints. I haven't checked this stand alone tools for some time. I'm surprised about the change to gx_dbugintf. I'll need to have a closer look.

Also thanks for the changed prebuild.cmd

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dinar said:

@dummzeuch, thank you for your support and further development of GExperts.

To compile the source files in Rad Studio 10.3.3, I needed to make the following changes:
1. In the source code of the GX_DbugIntf.pas unit, replace {$ I 'dbugintf.pas'} with {$ I '.. \ .. \ ExternalSource \ dbugintf.pas'}

This works fine for me without the change and regardless whether I do a command line build (__build_Project.cmd) or use the IDE. The GXpertsRS103 project contain the ..\..\ExternalSource directory in the search path for "All configurations - All platforms", so the change should not be necessary. Or was this for one of the stand alone projects too?

1 hour ago, dummzeuch said:

all should be fixed now in svn

I tried rebuilding projects in Rad Studio 10.4 built on the basis of revision 3176.
When trying to compile, the following errors occur:

Project GExpertsPeInformation.dproj
1. [Exec Error] exit from the command "call ..\..\..\buildtools\prebuild.cmd" D:\Downloads\Work\IDE\Delphi\Addons\13_Utilities\01_RAD Studio IDE plugins, wizards\GExperts\Trunk\Projects\StandAlone\PeInformation\GExpertsPeInformation.dproj"" with code 9009.
Changed the line number 63 in 'prebuild.cmd'
It was: % ~ dp0 \ rc "% ICONRC%"
Now:   "% ~ dp0 \ rc" "% ICONRC%"

2. [dcc32 Error] u_dzVclUtils.pas (5067): E2003 Undeclared identifier: 'TContainedAction'
    [dcc32 Error] u_dzVclUtils.pas (5075): E2250 There is no overloaded version of 'TPopupMenu_AppendMenuItem' that can be called with these arguments

TContainedAction is located in the System.Actions module, but the 'Unit aliases' project properties specify 'Actions = ActnList' and Delphi, apparently, is trying to look for the TContainedAction class in VCL.ActnList, but if we remove the string 'Actions = ActnList' from the 'Unit aliases', the project compiles with the error

3. [dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'GExpertsPeInformation_icon.res'
The error can be resolved by renaming the file 'GExpertsPeInformation.res' to 'GExpertsPeInformation_icon.res'

Project ExpertManager.dproj
1. [dcc32 Fatal Error] GExpertsDllSelection.pas (11): F2613 Unit 'Graphics' not found.
Eliminated by adding the string 'VCL' to the 'Unit scope names' in the project properties.

Project GExpertsGrep.dproj
1. [Exec Error] exit from the command "call ..\..\..\buildtools\prebuild.cmd" D:\Downloads\Work\IDE\Delphi\Addons\13_Utilities\01_RAD Studio IDE plugins, wizards\GExperts\Trunk\Projects\StandAlone\Grep\GExpertsGrep.dproj"" with code 9009.

2. [dcc32 Fatal Error] GX_StandAloneLoadDLL.pas (8): F2613 Unit 'Dialogs' not found.
Eliminated by adding the string 'VCL' to 'Unit scope names' in the project properties

Edited by Dinar

32 minutes ago, Dinar said:

Thanks, I missed that one.

As for the others I now know why I didn't see those errors: I compiled these projects with Delphi 2007 only.

Maybe I should switch to a more modern version.

• Like 1

@dummzeuch, perhaps one more improvement can be made: creating the installer for only a specific version of the application, depending on the parameters passed to MakeInstallers.cmd (the modified file in the attachment)

And then, it will be possible to create an installer, for example, only for Rad Studio 10.4 with the following command:
MakeInstallers.cmd RS104 RS10.4

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Dinar said:

@dummzeuch, perhaps one more improvement can be made: creating the installer for only a specific version of the application, depending on the parameters passed to MakeInstallers.cmd (the modified file in the attachment)

And then, it will be possible to create an installer, for example, only for Rad Studio 10.4 with the following command:
MakeInstallers.cmd RS104 RS10.4

On the other hand, if I only want to create one installer, it's easier to temporarily edit the makeinstallers.cmd, where I can simply copy one existing line rather than having to remember exactly which parameters I'd have to pass:

rem [...]

rem *** copy one line from the list below here ***
rem *** and remove two REMs ***
rem call :makeinst RS103 RS10.3
rem pause
rem goto :eof

:list
call :makeinst Delphi6 D6
call :makeinst Delphi7 D7
call :makeinst Delphi2005
call :makeinst BDS2006
call :makeinst Delphi2007