Lars Fosdal

Your RAD Studio 10.4 Sydney issues

On 5/29/2020 at 12:34 PM, Stéphane Wierzbicki said:

Waiting now for Andreas to fix this

After a couple of clicks on components the structure window no longer follows your selection.
Right about then I realized that the structure window 'Find' control comes from DDevExtensions (@AndyHTech).. 🙂

On 5/29/2020 at 12:49 PM, Scott said:

Maybe its just I missed something? On initial offline install it looks like I didn't check Help or TeeChart. To get these installed the setup requires me to uninstall the whole thing and start again 😞

No, you didn't miss anything, exact same thing happened to me. I'm absolutely certain I had Help checked during the first install, because this also happened to me during 10.3.

Worse part of it was, even though I'm absolutely sure I left the "remove registry entries" option in the "keep" position during uninstall, after the reinstall the IDE came up pristine, and left me with installing a ton of 3rd party libraries a second time. Ugh.

Hi Guys, anyone having also these

image.png.1ac5ec00db85d102afde56d9667fc5c2.png

all over the time. Mostly if i click to a function or procedures name with pressed CTRL, it should jump to the declaration or to the function but it does not, it crashes .... 

i hoped 10.4 is better but not too much ... 

6 minutes ago, microtronx said:

Mostly if i click to a function or procedures name with pressed CTRL, it should jump to the declaration or to the function but it does not, it crashes .... 

Mine doesn't crash, however I find that sometimes it will not go to the declaration, despite the fact that the application compiles OK. Still trying to work out the source of the problem...

Everytime i click to a function name with pressed CTRL the IDE starts hanging ... when i see this, i press fast ESC and that stopps the ide from crashing, most of the time but this is not normal. Possible that someone created already a report?

2 hours ago, eivindbakkestuen said:

No, you didn't miss anything, exact same thing happened to me. I'm absolutely certain I had Help checked during the first install, because this also happened to me during 10.3.

Worse part of it was, even though I'm absolutely sure I left the "remove registry entries" option in the "keep" position during uninstall, after the reinstall the IDE came up pristine, and left me with installing a ton of 3rd party libraries a second time. Ugh.

Err... that option does not exist any more. You have to use migration tool to preserve settings if you are reinstalling and updating and also for upgrading to new major version.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave Nottage said:

Mine doesn't crash, however I find that sometimes it will not go to the declaration, despite the fact that the application compiles OK. Still trying to work out the source of the problem...

Same, my gut feeling is that the current implementation is pretty much a happy flow, if it works it is amazing but seemingly simple things can throw it off. I find that the cleaner I make my project tree (only stuff a unit really uses in the uses clauses), untangling unnecessary inheritance trees, removing visual form/datamodule inheritance (which I unfortunately "inherited" from my predecessors) and so on the better code insight/error insight/navigation/inline xml documentation work.

TL;DR Put some uncle bob in your project tree, it helps in more ways than one.

I just ran the migration tool and wanted to transfer my settings from 10.3 to 10.4. Now at startup of 10.4 I get a "Index out of bounds error" with succesive "Interface not supported" errors. The Ide does not start any more. Does anybody have any ideas? Is there a way to undo the migration ?

TIA

33 minutes ago, M.Joos said:

I just ran the migration tool and wanted to transfer my settings from 10.3 to 10.4. Now at startup of 10.4 I get a "Index out of bounds error" with succesive "Interface not supported" errors. The Ide does not start any more. Does anybody have any ideas? Is there a way to undo the migration ?

TIA

You can use RegEdit to remove registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\21.0

Deleting (or renaming) that key will remove all custom settings.

If possible it would be good to determine source of your problem. Do you have any IDE plugins installed in 10.3 or other 3rd party components - packages (including your own). Maybe imported settings are trying to load something incompatible. 

I just tried to import my settings from 10.3 again in 10.4 and everything works fine for me.

3 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

You can use RegEdit to remove registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\21.0

Deleting (or renaming) that key will remove all custom settings.

If possible it would be good to determine source of your problem. Do you have any IDE plugins installed in 10.3 or other 3rd party components - packages (including your own). Maybe imported settings are trying to load something incompatible. 

I just tried to import my settings from 10.3 again in 10.4 and everything works fine for me.

Thanks Dalija,

indeed I have multiple IDE plugins installed. It is quite likely that these are the culprit. Maybe I should have a closer look at what exactly gets migrated and uncheck probably those that might be porblematic. And thanks for the trick of just deleting the registry key. I let you know how it turned out.

52 minutes ago, M.Joos said:

Is there a way to undo the migration ? 

You can try to restore the settings from the backup according to these instructions.

Backups are automatically created by the Migration Tool before the current configuration settings are overwritten in the following cases:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Perhaps something similar to this: https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-29126

The error looks very similar, although in my case the out of bound list index was 7 instead of 5. But in my case I found the culprit elsewhere - It was the Version Insight Ide Plugin from the other Uwe. Do you by any chance have a version of it that installs out of the box into 10.4 ?

4 minutes ago, M.Joos said:

Do you by any chance have a version of it that installs out of the box into 10.4 ?

Nope.

9 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Nope.

Thanks Uwe, unfortunately I forgot where I got the version for 10.3.

I already installed MMX, and that runs smoothly so far - thanks for taking care of MMX, Uwe !

2 hours ago, M.Joos said:

from the other Uwe.

Nothing much askew with the first one. But do we really need two? Redundancy is a bad pattern/idiom.

On 6/9/2020 at 7:12 PM, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Err... that option does not exist any more. You have to use migration tool to preserve settings if you are reinstalling and updating and also for upgrading to new major version.

Are you sure that option does not exist anymore? 🙂 I'm pretty sure I didn't dream this up.

image.thumb.png.30f64d3514bb4bd1fba21cd0ef1c2daa.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well I'm quickly coming to the conclusion the 10.4 is utter crap 😞

It keeps locking up and access violating.

Seems like Embarcadero need to increase their Beta testing pool because this release is a real shocker.

Back to 10.3 I go and the awesome FixPack

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

@Scott - Are you on subscription?  In that case you can actually join the Beta testing pool and help unearth these problems.

My team usually don't move to a new version until Update 1 is out.

3 hours ago, eivindbakkestuen said:

Are you sure that option does not exist anymore? 🙂 I'm pretty sure I didn't dream this up.

image.thumb.png.30f64d3514bb4bd1fba21cd0ef1c2daa.png

LOL... I missed that. I guess I am accustomed to uninstalling first, then cleaning up left overs before installing, so I haven't seen that dialog for a long time.

It is quite possible that this option somehow got broken, after introduction of Migration Tool and unifying installers (Web and ISO) in the 10.4. Please, file bug report. Otherwise it will stay broken forever.