Lars Fosdal

Your RAD Studio 10.4 Sydney issues

4 hours ago, Kazantsev Alexey said:

Codegen bug

Um... Aren't you responsible for initializing the record yourself if you have declared an initializer for the record?

7 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

Um... Aren't you responsible for initializing the record yourself if you have declared an initializer for the record? 

The error is not in the implementation of the custom initializer. A custom initializer is available for the “TRec” type, but an initialization error is in the “TData” type, which does not have a custom initializer, but has a field of a managed type. In the code example, you can replace the custom initializer with any other custom management operator (finalizer, assign), and you will get the same error.

Edited by Kazantsev Alexey
misprint
  • Thanks 3

Important IDE specific rsp's are so much, i hope we get fixes very soon ... at the moment 10.4 is not usable ... crashes all over the time

1 hour ago, microtronx said:

i hope we get fixes very soon

Same here, however...

at the moment 10.4 is not usable

..this may be the case for you, however it is extremely usable for me. Making generalisations like this may discourage others from using it where it may well be quite usable for them.

1 minute ago, Dave Nottage said:

Same here, however...

..this may be the case for you, however it is extremely usable for me. Making generalisations like this may discourage others from using it where it may well be quite usable for them.

You are right, it may be usable for others but on our side with big projects it crashes too often. I think new users and new projects could work fine ... 😉

On 6/16/2020 at 8:07 PM, Bernard said:

Hi All,

Just got a  chance to install Delphi 10.4 on my windows 7 Laptop and loaded up a sample.

I ran it and when I change the VCL style to Windows10Blue or Windows10Dark it displays incorrectly

Anyone else got this.

By the way thanks everyone for the great info on this site

Windows 7 is no longer supported, nor should it be. Why support anything even the original manufacturer only supports grudgingly and for a price? As a consequence applications will run, but eye candy will not be as sweet as intended. That seems to be a good compromise to me.

• Like 1

on our side with big projects it crashes too often

For what it is worth: I understand your pain (having had similar issues in the past), and hope that it will be resolved soon

On 6/18/2020 at 8:51 AM, Sherlock said:

Windows 7 is no longer supported, nor should it be. Why support anything even the original manufacturer only supports grudgingly and for a price? As a consequence applications will run, but eye candy will not be as sweet as intended. That seems to be a good compromise to me.

I have a customer base that run windows 7 PCs with machine control software on them.  These machines require periodic software updates.  Some of these guys who have the machines are not technical at all.  They know how to turn machuines on and off and use the machine software.  Some of them have no internet so updates are sent on USB.  That is why Win 7 support is a requirement.

11 minutes ago, Bernard said:

I have a customer base that run windows 7 PCs with machine control software on them.  These machines require periodic software updates.  Some of these guys who have the machines are not technical at all.  They know how to turn machuines on and off and use the machine software.  Some of them have no internet so updates are sent on USB.  That is why Win 7 support is a requirement.

You can write apps for Win 7 if you take care, but the Delphi IDE itself does NOT support Windows 7.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 9:51 AM, Sherlock said:

Windows 7 is no longer supported, nor should it be.

Pfft. That is up to the customer to decide. [edit: before I start a sh*t storm let me rephrase that] It should be up to the customer to decide. Not you, not Embarcadero and not Microsoft.

If the customer wants to run on Windows 7, which I perfectly understand in many cases, then I will support it. They are paying for that privilege. We are here to serve their needs, not the other way around.

Windows 7 has a market share around 20%. Slightly higher than OS X...

18 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

the Delphi IDE itself does NOT support Windows 7

Works for me. It complained to install but I haven't encountered any issues that I can pin on Windows 7.

Edited by Anders Melander
i calmed down
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 7:07 PM, Bernard said:

Hi All,

Just got a  chance to install Delphi 10.4 on my windows 7 Laptop and loaded up a sample.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\21.0\Samples\Object Pascal\VCL\ToggleSwitch

I ran it and when I change the VCL style to Windows10Blue or Windows10Dark it displays incorrectly

Anyone else got this.

By the way thanks everyone for the great info on this site

Blue.png

Dark.png

Just installed Delphi 10.4 on my main Windows 10 development machine and I still see the same issues. Has anyone else ran the sample in Windows 10 and found the same issues.

21 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

I haven't encountered any issues that I can pin on Windows 7

@Anders Melander

Yup, certainly no issues not already reported except maybe that the History list box is all black and can't be used.. since I haven't seen this reported I'm not sure if its W7 or RDP..
All in all RDP'ing is better out of the box in 10.4, 10.3 was useless without a fix from Andreas..

Edited by FredS

LSP form works...when it works :classic_blush:

What annoys me is that you first need to save a file before LSP is able to locate the changes--and this may not be what you always want. In all the videos EMBA presented and demonstrated LSP, they used units from the libraries. They never played live in the sense to add variables or procedures and then fire up LSP. 

In other versions I had CodeInsightPlus by DevJet which is an amazing product. Maybe they should have considered to buy it.

• Like 1

Classic Undocked layout is buggy, sometimes it causes to restart the IDE without any prompt, and LSP is slower to popup than previous version, maybe is just my installation.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:21 PM, Bernard said:

I totally understand, but some eye candy just wont work. And sooner or later some other stuff will follow.

This discussion is as old as Windows itself. It used to be "my customers only run DOS" then became "my customers only run 16Bit Windows" over to "my customers only run WinXP"  to what we have today. Someone in that story has not learned, and should be beaten with a set of Windows installation floppies: Hardware manufacturers that create one version of their controlling software and never update it, or for an ungodly price. We could break our ears and keep our software running on DOS, or just inform the customers and let them wise up and do a pitchfork and torch run on their machine manufacturer. After all, it is your hide they'll be after if something wont work because their system is outdated - not that this is the case right now.

• Like 3

After installing "Rad Studio 10.4 Patch (Patch Tool) Test 1.0" which recently appeared in GetIt package manager, DUnitX has disappeared from my system.
How do I get it back?

I have an issue with the title of this thread. Each time someone comments i get an notification that "NN commented on Your RAD Studio 10.4 issues". Wooo, i'm getting really popular 🙂 ... not.

@A.M. Hoornweg

I have recently "installed" DUnitX back to the IDE by adding its bpl to the packages (install packages) from \Users\All Users\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\xx.0\Bpl

However, not 10.4 and not because of the patch tool

Should prolly do a status summary on the issues of this thread and start a new one, but don't have time right now.

On 6/19/2020 at 3:52 PM, Bernard said:

Just installed Delphi 10.4 on my main Windows 10 development machine and I still see the same issues. Has anyone else ran the sample in Windows 10 and found the same issues.

Found issue

For anyone having this issue of the Toggle Switch giving issues.  I have a funny feeling that it is not just me.

Get an older copy from the latest community edition or your Rio install.

Open the Bitmap Style Designer and open

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\Styles\Windows10SlateGray.vsf 

Compare it to

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\21.0\Styles\Windows10SlateGray.vsf

If you look at the toggle switch in the latest update it is not correct. 

Hope this helps..

Edited by Bernard

Very used to hitting Alt+S then ArrowDown twice and Enter to bring up "Find in files...".

In Sydney the menu handling sometimes lag in a strange way so that when the dialog is brought up, the caret in the actual editor has moved down one row (apparently i pressed ArroDown three times). When this happens the word that was selected in order to have it immediately show up as the search text is no longer selected. Utterly annoying.