A.M. Hoornweg

Can Rio and Sydney co-exist?

Hello all,

does anyone know if Delphi 10.4 can co-exist peacefully with 10.3 Rio on the same system without one breaking the other, and can I un-install Rio later without damaging the Sydney installation? Especially if one intends to do some multi-platform (Android/Linux) work?

I have XE2, 10.3.3 and now 10.4. Those versions are working but I don't use multi-platform.

Edited by ŁukaszDe

When I had 10.2 and 10.3 on my PC and uninstalled 10.2 later, help in 10.3 stop working and must be reinstalled.

Main question here should be: What happens to tools installed via GetIt? Will they be broken for 10.3.3?

I keep the last two versions on my main development PC, plus D2007, so uninstalled 10.2 before installing 10.4, and 10.3 is still fine.   I have VMs with all the old versions.

For the past 20 years, I've installed Delphi in my own named root directories, never program files, but just realised that I was never offered a choice of install directories while installing 10.4 from the ISO, or if I was, missed it on some cluttered screen.  So it now seems to be buried in program files...

Angus

46 minutes ago, Angus Robertson said:

For the past 20 years, I've installed Delphi in my own named root directories, never program files, but just realised that I was never offered a choice of install directories while installing 10.4 from the ISO, or if I was, missed it on some cluttered screen.  So it now seems to be buried in program files...

You missed it... look for Options button in the bottom panel (on the left of Next, Cancel... ) I am not sure whether it shows in first or second screen... but it is there.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

You missed it

FWIW I missed it too and will have to do a reinstall. I also never install Delphi under Program Files.

I've always installed it under Program Files. Mostly because the corporate group policies give me a lot of hassle if I put stuff in "custom" places.

The reasons not to install under "Program Files" being?

- Small as possible system drive, separate data/app drive

- Constant need for unencumbered w/r access to "Program Files"

Just curious.

Historically I prefer major non-Microsoft applications at root level, easier to find. no access restrictions is a bonus.  I also installed all Delphi samples and common files in the same directory, and third part libraries,  to keep versions from different releases separate.   And I do that in VMs with multiple copies. 

I also prefer my own directory naming convention of real names rather than RAD studio version numbers which almost no-one uses.

Angus

Thank you all!

So I'll backup my VM, enlarge the C partition and install Sydney. At a later point in time I'll uninstall Rio to free up space.