Bill Meyer

Difficulty with component installation

I need to install in Tokyo a set of components from an older release which I can use while waiting for the corporate purchasing wheels to grind on a new license.

I am able to build both the runtime and design time packages with no errors. But when I try to install, I get this:
Can't load package s:\Inst\Comps\ThisPackage.bpl.
The specified module could not be found.

The module is present, at the path specified in the error. I am at a loss to know what might be the cause of the problem. I have verified that the dcp files of the units in the requires list are all present.

Any clues would be welcome.

I just this morning dealt with the same issue.  The package I was attempting to install was a design time package: dclDragDropDR103R.bpl.  The problem I had was that the design time package required the run time package, a common requirement, and when the run time package was compiled, for some reason, it was not written to $(BDSCOMMONDIR)\bpl.  I manually copied it there and the design time package installed just fine.  I have not figured out why it was not written there to start with, but this fix will work for me for now.

17 hours ago, JRodenhi said:

I just this morning dealt with the same issue.  The package I was attempting to install was a design time package: dclDragDropDR103R.bpl.  The problem I had was that the design time package required the run time package, a common requirement, and when the run time package was compiled, for some reason, it was not written to $(BDSCOMMONDIR)\bpl.  I manually copied it there and the design time package installed just fine.  I have not figured out why it was not written there to start with, but this fix will work for me for now.

I had found this advice on stackoverflow:

Easy way to solve this issue is to add a post build action to your run time project:

copy "$(OUTPUTDIR)\$(OUTPUTFILENAME)" "$(BDSCOMMONDIR)\Bpl"

The command above copies your run time file to the default IDE Bpl location.

I tried it, but again got the same error. I also tried without that, and adding my BPL location to the PATH, as another thread suggested. That also failed.

this is a joker error message from the IDE, it can be anything, path, old binaries in the path, missing dependencies, etc... fire up a process monitor and filter for bds.exe maybe you have luck and you can see it