Jacek Laskowski

Error insight in Rio

Looks like the syntax checker/highlighter doesn't support the new inline var syntax properly.  See if it's been reported yet and if not report it at quality.embarcadero.com

Well, sadly, for me this is expected behavior, and I switch off Error Insight altogether. It is a CPU-time consuming nuisance which (in serious projects) provides only false positives.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess everybody in the Beta test is used to turning off error insight so nobody noticed the new bug.

(I wasn't in the Beta test, but I might have done the same.)

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, dummzeuch said:

I guess everybody in the Beta test is used to turning off error insight so nobody noticed the new bug.

(I wasn't in the Beta test, but I might have done the same.)

It may seem so, but that’s not true - they just weren’t fixed before the release...

Well this is one of the new key features of this release and they forgot to fix that Error Insight bug?

That is not the quality I was expecting

Hi...:classic_cool:

ErrorInsight has never worked before. The checkmark is the first one that is gone with every installation. I trust the compiler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Actually in 10.2.3 the ErrorInsight is pretty adequate. In 10.3 too, except for new syntactic constructions. 

Can you show a code sample where ErrorInsight works incorrectly in the newest Delphi releases?

• Haha 1

I had to disable ErrorInsight with Delphi 10.3 too, in order to be able to compile anything with mORMot.

No progress since the previous versions about ErrorInsight.

My projects is not so big as yours... OK I downloaded the nightly build of mORMot and tried to open several DPR in Delphi 10.3. In the TestSQL3 project, ErrorInsight showed 2 false-positive errors:

• 'Synopse.inc' could not be found in the current project
  • 'SynDprUses.inc' could not be found in the current project

TestSQL3.dpr in the mORMot\SQLite3 folder, and these INC files in mORMot folder.

When I replaced {$I Synopse.inc} with {$I ..\Synopse.inc} and {$I SynDprUses.inc} with {$I ..\SynDprUses.inc} these errors are gone.

What other errors in ErrorInsight have you encountered in projects with mORMot?

As far as Beta bug reporting is concerned there are few things to know.

1. Not all bugs reported during Beta test are resolved during Beta test period.

2. Beta test bugs are tracked separately from main RSP tracker. 

3. Beta test bugs that are still not resolved are moved to main RSP tracker project.

4. Moving issues to public tracker requires some administrative work - it is not just simple move all procedure - and it takes some time.

At this moment unresolved Rio beta test issues are still not publicly available.

• Thanks 3

I'm constantly seeing little red lines show up in perfectly good code in 10.2.3, even right after a clean compile. It's pretty damn worthless a lot of the time.

• Like 1

This problem is my main gripe with Rio. And it's not only a cosmetic problem with Error Insight. When I try to refactor and rename a class for example, any function or procedure in a unit past an inline var declaration will not get renamed, which screws up the whole refactoring. 

And Undo refactoring does not work in this case. In this screenshot of a personal project, I tried to rename "TGameStates" to "TGameStateManager". The class names in green were renamed, the ones in red were not.

This seems like a pretty serious bug and while I've been using Delphi since v1.0 and I'm used to this kind of things by now, I am sadden to see something like this not fixed before release. I've been a fan of Delphi forever, and the company I work for has a 5 year plan in place to phase Delphi out and switch to a yet unannounced replacement, and that too makes me sad because we're all sure it'll be Visual Studio and C#.

inline_var.png

Seems that using the new language feature breaks the parser. And all functionality which depends on it become broken as well.

Use I-Pascal for code editing/refactoring until Delphi will catch up. Inline declarations are supported although I don't like this feature.

Yes. 10.3.1 is just as bad. Doesn't anybody in Embarcadero read these posts and think 'Ah, an issue that bugs our community, I'll get it fixed'? I guess not as it never does. Not the only thing that never seems to work in new releases. Like try 'Tutorials' and click 'See more Snippets'. A blank screen!

17 minutes ago, bazzer747 said:

Doesn't anybody in Embarcadero read these posts

No, they probably don't read this Forum. Not sure if they actually read their own one. They read Quality Portal, though 

1 hour ago, bazzer747 said:

I'll get it fixed

You can answer your own question by looking at the age of some of those reports in QP..