PeterPanettone

Error Insight error?

Although the project compiles perfectly, an error is shown in the source code editor.:

image.thumb.png.29bd9a3edd516e08a806a3aaf3044493.png

image.png.49f0b69d585038eb3345b01cc6063c9c.png

The Hid unit path is not in the IDE Library Path but in the Project Search Path:

image.png.8ed05b015589767328dba8d779f5b220.png

Is it possible that Error Insight does not take into consideration the Project Search Path? Can anyone confirm this?

This is strange because according to the documentation, Error Insight is based on LSP which asks the compiler for errors?

EDIT after 10 minutes:

After having edited and saved the source code, the red zigzag line which indicates an error has disappeared!

So everything seems to be OK.

Edited by PeterPanettone

Error insight (and code navigation) is still unreliable, unfortunately. I'm test-driving 10.4 with small projects (maximum 15 units) and sometimes the red wiggles stay until I restart Delphi (or run the application). Code navigation completely fails for some 3rd party components if the (system wide) library path is pointing to DCUs only and debug source path and browsing path is set to the source files. It usually can navigate to the first unit, but not to the second one from there (unless if it is already open)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aehimself said:

Error insight (and code navigation) is still unreliable, unfortunately. I'm test-driving 10.4 with small projects (maximum 15 units) and sometimes the red wiggles stay until I restart Delphi (or run the application). Code navigation completely fails for some 3rd party components if the (system wide) library path is pointing to DCUs only and debug source path and browsing path is set to the source files. It usually can navigate to the first unit, but not to the second one from there (unless if it is already open)

Thanks for your feedback!

7 hours ago, aehimself said:

Error insight (and code navigation) is still unreliable, unfortunately. I'm test-driving 10.4 with small projects (maximum 15 units) and sometimes the red wiggles stay until I restart Delphi (or run the application).

It might not be perfect yet but at least there's a path forward, rather than the hopelessly broken error insight we've been putting up with for the past 15 years. Red squiggles that go away eventually is definitive progress compared to red squiggles that had no hope of ever disappearing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lachlan Gemmell said:

It might not be perfect yet but at least there's a path forward, rather than the hopelessly broken error insight we've been putting up with for the past 15 years. Red squiggles that go away eventually is definitive progress compared to red squiggles that had no hope of ever disappearing.

It definitely is better than 10.3 (which was just plain broken) but also <10.3.

It isn't perfect but as I said in another topic for my project (680K unique lines of code) it is getting more reliable/faster the cleaner I make my source tree. With cleaner I mean things like only use units that are really needed, reducing coupling, smallest scope of identifiers possible (= members not public when protected will do, not protected when private will do; up to a whole class not in the interface section but exposing just an interface and a factory etc etc). Things like these are a good idea anyway so actually the tool "helping" me with the required discipline could be considered a +. 🙂

I am now at the point that error insight and code insight work reliably most of the time and wait times till red wiggles disappear is down to seconds. 

Edited by mmb

7 hours ago, Lachlan Gemmell said:

hopelessly broken error insight we've been putting up with for the past 15 years

1 hour ago, mmb said:

It definitely is better than 10.3 (which was just plain broken) but also <10.3.

This is something I can not c

ompare. The first thing I always did on a fresh Delphi installation is to disable error insight altogether as it made the IDE unbearable slow with 1500+ units and 20-30 custom components. Therefore I don't know how bad it was before - I had hopes with 10.4 and LSP - it did not come up to my expectations, unfortunately. I personally like Delphi's IDE a lot more than Visual Studio, but VS's error insight works a lot better (even with large projects), unfortunately.

It hogs up the system more too, though.

1 hour ago, mmb said:

I am now at the point that error insight and code insight work reliably most of the time and wait times till red wiggles disappear is down to seconds. 

When refactoring, I'm following these guidelines too. As least visibility to properties as absolutely needed, cutting out excess things from the Uses list, etc. As I said - unfortunately - my experience is far from yours. With a low number of units and 3rd party components wiggly lines are likely there to stay until execution / IDE restart 😞

Hopefully this week I'll start to check how Delphi 10.4 handles a big project at work... with poorly written code, interfaces here and there, 10+ depth in dependencies... that will be the true test, though. It will decide if we move or stay on 10.3.