bazzer747

ParnassusCoreEditor.dll AccessViolation

Hi

I installed the Bookmarks in 10.4 Sydney last night, and this morning when I ran 10.3 (as I haven't ported anything over yet) I'm suddenly getting access violations on ParnassusCoreEditor.dll when Delphi starts, during the session, and when I close. Can't help feeling these events are linked :-).

I'll remove Bookmarks from 10.4 and see if the problem disappears with it.

Anyone else having this problem?

I feared this could happen. It's the same as 10.2 -> 10.3. GetIt does not seem to care about parallel installations and overwrites the "old" Parnassus files.

I have the same issue. 😞

Moving into D10.4 so I deleted BM from D10.3.3.

Still rather have it in both until all project are updated...

Edited by Ian Branch

I removed it from 10.4, but same issue, so yes it's the 10.4 version (1.6) of the dll which has overwritten the one used by 10.3 (1.0 version). I've removed Bookmarks from 10.3 as well now and will leave them alone until someone in Embacadero does some proper testing before unleashing these damaging elements!

Very annoying.

• Like 1

It's called consistency and is considered to be a good thing...most of the time.

• Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

It's called consistency and is considered to be a good thing...most of the time.

In ISO 9001 consistency is everything. You must have rules and follow them. It doesn't matter whether the result is correct or not, it must reproducible every single time. (OK, I'll stop now, I just have suffered too much pain due to this idiocy.)

10.4 has an update to Bookmarks and Navigator.

It creates

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared

and places
ParnassusBookmarks_XSydney.dll
ParnassusCoreEditor_XSydney.dll
ParnassusNavigator_XSydney.dll

So, to cure the 10.3 ailments, copy from C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\CatalogRepository\

to the first mentioned common catalog

Bookmarks-1.0\ParnassusBookmarks.dll to ParnassusBookmarks_XRio.dll
ParnassusCoreEditor-1.0\ParnassusCoreEditor.dll to ParnassusCoreEditor_XRio.dll
Navigator-1.0\ParnassusNavigator.dll to ParnassusNavigator_XRio.dll

• Thanks 6

Now that is a swift and elegant recovery from the blunder earlier. Respect @Embarcadero.

So I took out Bookmarks from 10.4 AND 10.3 (as it was screwed), does this means I can use GetiT to install Bookmarks in 10.3 AND 10.4 and they won't clobber each other?

The 10.4 install overwrote that dll so I don't have a 10.3 version; does GetiT install the correct versions I suppose I'm asking, or do I have to do some manipulating?

10.4 does not overwrite the 10.3 versions in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\CatalogRepository\

So, First install for 10.3, then install for 10.4 - and apply the fix above.

• Thanks 1

Well that doesn't work! Installed on 10.3, restarted as it wanted after the install - now I get Access Violations in module ParnassusCoreEditor.dll, which I OK, and then get another AV in bds.exe. And Projects don't load correctly.

I've uninstalled again, and still get AVs in that dll - so the uninstall clearly doesn't uninstall properly. What a mess.

Check registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Parnassus OU\Core

Is the value of Path set to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared ? - if not, make it so.

Copy the 20.0 DLLs there as per earlier posts.

Yes, I have that value. Copied the old DLL (luckily I had a copy of the old dll in a Documents backup ).

It's now installed in 10.3 and 10.4 without errors. Feel like a major milestone achieved :-).

What I don't understand is even when I've uninstalled on 10.3 and 10.4 there are still remnants, files/registry items, lying about causing problems. Surely this sort of 'cleaning up' is a basic requirement these days of installs. I recall these problems over 20 years ago with uninstall programs not cleaning up all traces.

Anyway, all's well now, so many thanks for your help and guidance ...

Some files are in use while Delphi is running, so they can't be deleted. I am not sure there is any mechanism that can bypass this. Another subject for Embarcadero to look into.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:04 AM, Lars Fosdal said:

So, to cure the 10.3 ailments, copy from C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\CatalogRepository\

to the first mentioned common catalog

Bookmarks-1.0\ParnassusBookmarks.dll to ParnassusBookmarks_XRio.dll
ParnassusCoreEditor-1.0\ParnassusCoreEditor.dll to ParnassusCoreEditor_XRio.dll
Navigator-1.0\ParnassusNavigator.dll to ParnassusNavigator_XRio.dll

Thank you very much! This solved the problem. Now I have these files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusNavigator_XSydney.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusCoreEditor_XSydney.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusBookmarks_XSydney.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusCoreEditor.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusNavigator.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusBookmarks.dll

What did the developer THINK when he changed the overall search location for his DLLs in Parnassus 10.4? Did he think at all? What DLL search location can we expect in the next version of the Parnassus plugins?

19 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

If you add _XRio to the last three, you won't get any issues with Rio when 10.5 arrives.

Renamed these files. Now I have:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusNavigator_XSydney.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusCoreEditor_XSydney.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusBookmarks_XSydney.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusCoreEditor_XRio.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusNavigator__XRio.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusBookmarks_XRio.dll

And it still works. Very flexible DLL search algorithm!

This thread is quite old.  But, given some outstanding problems with 10.4, I reverted to 10.3 and encountered the problem described above where Parnassus wouldn't load.

If anyone else is having this problem and comes across this thread, EMB suggested to me that I start with a clean IDE in 10.3.  For fun, I followed their directions (below), but, because I wasn't willing to configure the IDE and all the packages etc., I only performed the special launch once.

It turns out that performing their suggested registry step once and then reverting back to the standard shortcut to start the IDE somehow resolved this issue. Bookmarks loads fine now! YMMV.  I don't know what magic happened behind the scenes that made this work.  Or, perhaps there was something else going on here that this fixed.

Anyway, in case it's helpful for you, here's what they recommended and what curiously worked for me:

One option you can try is to reset the IDE settings to the default, which will also clear any 3rd party tools from being referenced.  Then you can retest the Bookmarks installation in either Rio or Sydney if you choose.  Any 3rd party or custom component or plugins will need to be reinstalled.  Any configuration settings will need to be reconfigured, etc.

Rio 10.3:
-----------------------
Open the shortcut for Rio 10.3, and pass a -rTest1230 parameter into the target field, like so:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\bin\bds.exe" "-pDelphi" -rTest1230

What this will do is create a new node in the registry for the IDE settings called 'Test1230':

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Embarcadero | Test1230 | 20.0

If for some reason you need to go back to the original settings, you can remove the -rTest1230 and it will use the original settings:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Embarcadero | BDS | 20.0
-----------------------

Hi,
in my main VM I've had 10.3, 10.4.2 and 11.3 versions of Delphi Professional coexist without a problem for years.

I've just deinstalled 10.3 version and this is what I get if I try to execute Delphi 10.4.2 or 11.3 version too (same errors).

Both newer versions abort immediately, so I can't access IDE, getit and so on.

I wonder if someone has a workaround to let me fix this.

Thanks in advance for your help

Marco

Screen9.jpg

Screen10.jpg

On 1/30/2024 at 5:17 AM, marcocir said:

I've just deinstalled 10.3 version and this is what I get if I try to execute Delphi 10.4.2 or 11.3

Do these files still exist?

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusNavigator_XSydney.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusCoreEditor_XSydney.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusBookmarks_XSydney.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusCoreEditor.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusNavigator_Alexandria.dll

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusCoreEditor_XAlexandria.dll

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ParnassusShared\ParnassusBookmarks_Alexandria.dll