David Schwartz

Why does GetIt require Delphi to restart so often?

I've never had a problem installing a bunch of component libs and then restarting Delphi afterwards. I don't understand why so many libs that GetIt installs require Delphi to be restarted after each one.

And after it restarts, it doesn't even have the courtesy of leaving you back where you were when it initiated the restart.

Edited by David Schwartz
  • Like 3

Simply, because it obviously was designed poorly and assumes that every individual installation is an atomic thing that needs the restart not allowing you to install a couple more and only then restart.

• Confused 1

Sometimes, it seems that with GetIt you just start an installer, and the rest is the same as if you downloaded the installer outside delphi. 

For this i think they need to restart Delphi, because otherwise adjustments in Paths etc will not be recognized in the running instance of delphi?

@mvanrijnen That's the reason, yes. But! It should be possible to have a "Restart IDE after install" checkbox, and to be able to uncheck it, when you want to install several things, to then restart after all that, shortening the overall install time significantly.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2020 at 5:46 AM, mvanrijnen said:

Sometimes, it seems that with GetIt you just start an installer, and the rest is the same as if you downloaded the installer outside delphi. 

For this i think they need to restart Delphi, because otherwise adjustments in Paths etc will not be recognized in the running instance of delphi?

this makes sense if I'm going to USE what I just installed. But if I'm in the process of installing several components, then there's no need to restart because none of them depend or refer on the others. They're all self-contained. It works fine to restart after you've installed the whole batch. At least, I've never had a problem except for some unusually complex installs.