Benmik

Parallel.For and Timer

I read JPG files from disk into a TObjectList and create thumbnails from them that are painted onto a TImage. For creating thumbnails and displaying them I have been using AsyncCalls by Andreas Hausladen for a long time, but now I want to switch to OTL because AsyncCalls isn't maintained any longer.

Let's say there are 800 JPG in a directory, the first 30 of which fit on the screen. So I force an update of the TImage every time one of these 30 thumbnails has been painted. After that I display a message on a TStatusBar every 50 thumbnails or every second, whichever comes first. I noticed a considerable time lag of a few seconds before the first thumbnail appeared on the screen, so I tried to use a self created thread pool which didn't help much.

ThumbPool := CreateThreadPool('VSBPool');
 ThumbPool.MaxExecuting := Environment.Process.Affinity.Count - 1;
 ThumbPool.MaxQueued := JPGList.Count - 1;
 Parallel.For(0,JPGList.Count - 1)
   .TaskConfig(Parallel.TaskConfig.ThreadPool(VSBPool))
//   .TaskConfig(Parallel.TaskConfig.MonitorWith(OmEvMon))
   .NumTasks(Environment.Process.Affinity.Count - 1)
   .Execute(
    procedure (i:integer)
    begin
      CreateThumbs(JPGList[i]);
    end);

Everything works OK, except for I cannot get the status bar to display the progress. I use a global variable for the count of the produced thumbnails that is incremented (TInterlocked.Increment) in "CreateThumbs". With AsyncCall's "TAsyncCalls.VCLInvoke(procedure begin DisplayProgress end)" in "CreateThumbs" this worked like a charm. But not in OTL. What I have tried so far:

1. A simple timer firing "DisplayProgress" every 500 milliseconds. Timer apparently doesn't get to fire.

2. Using TOmniEventMonitor. Warning: 'TOmniTaskControl.SetMonitor: Task can be only monitored with a single monitor'

3. Using Parallel.Async() + "DisplayProgress". Program is slowed down to a creeping pace.

What's the trick, what needs to be  done? Is Parallel.For the right option here? What can I do do get rid of that time lag (singlethreaded the thumbnails appear instantaneously)?

Edited by Benmik

Parallel.For by default works in "blocking" mode. IOW, while the Parallel.For is being executed, owner thread (main thread in your case) does nothing else. Most importantly - it does not process messsages.

There are two ways around this problem.

1.  Use the .NoWait qualifier: FFor := Parallel.For(...).TaskConfig(...).NumTasks(...).NoWait.Execute(...). (http://www.omnithreadlibrary.com/book/chap06.html#highlevel-for, section 3.11.1) Read here why you have to store the result of the Parallel.For call into a field: http://www.omnithreadlibrary.com/book/chap06.html#leanpub-auto-a-life-cycle-of-an-abstraction.
  2. Execute the Parallel.For asynchronously via Parallel.Async mechanism (http://www.omnithreadlibrary.com/book/chap06.html#highlevel-async):
    Parallel.Async(
      procedure begin
        Parallel.For....Execute();
      end);

Thank you so much, Primož. I had read everything but missed out on the fact that Parallel.For is blocking.

Right now it goes like this:

var FFor:IOmniParallelSimpleLoop;
 Timer.enabled := True;
 FFor := Parallel.For(0,JPGList.Count - 1)
   .NumTasks(Environment.Process.Affinity.Count - 1);
 FFor.Execute(procedure (i:integer)
   begin
     CreateThumbs(JPGList[i]);
   end);
 While not FFor.WaitFor(250) do
   Application.ProcessMessages;
 Timer.enabled := False;
 FFor := nil;

The timer fires now OK and due to "Application.ProcessMessages" the progress is being displayed in the status bar. It's a bit slower then before, though.

I'm still experimenting a little.