sjordi

10.3/10.4 Debug iOS?

Hi,

Just tried to debug an iOS app from within the IDE but when launched on the iPhone, all breakpoints are marked as invalid and the app doesn't stop on any of them.

Even an empty app with a breakpoint in FormCreate doesn't work.The Events window says

Module Load: dyld. No Debug Info. Base Address: $0000000104D8C000. Process Project1 (1774)
Module Load: Project1. Has Debug Info. Base Address: $0000000102D34000. Process Project1 (1774)

No Debug Info for dyld...

Am I missing something?
Thanks for any clue.

(I'm in Debug mode of course, not Release)

Xcode 11.5 and iOS SDK 13.5

Edited by sjordi

I've had this happen to me before (it isn't an issue right now). I created a macOS VM.. I have a Mac, so basically macOS within macOS 🙂, and it worked on there, so I'm assuming something on my Mac is interfering with debugging.

I still haven't found what was causing it (and it may do again), however I was nearly at the point of completely reinstalling the OS.

It may not be your problem but I have to inform there is a very common bug with the iOS in 10.3 (not sure in 10.4), that the break points marked is pointing to an wrong line (usually 4~5 lines before or after) from the break point marked by you. It is very common for me to mark within the scope of a method but internally delphi marked on another line that is outside the scope of the method, and when you compile your breakpoint is marked as invalid. In this case I put several breakpoints in sequence, close to the method I want.

5 hours ago, vfbb said:

It may not be your problem but I have to inform there is a very common bug with the iOS in 10.3 (not sure in 10.4), that the break points marked is pointing to an wrong line (usually 4~5 lines before or after) from the break point marked by you.

I had the same when testing my projects with 10.4.

But it turned out that I forgot to clean and build a designtime package, which used an already changed unit.
Since I don't use too many designtime packages, this was easy overseen, and I wish there could be some reliable "out-of-date" warning.
Sometimes the llnker makes a warning, sometimes not.

So far I seldom see such mis-aligned breakpoints, and usually cleaning up all DCU's help to fix it.

I also recomment, like Dave, to install into a new VM.
Since I did this, some years ago, I seldom have such weird failures I can see here in the blog.

I think worst idea is to install two versions side by siide, there are simply too many positions where things may go wrong.
Usually I have two different VM (VM10.3.3; VM10.4), which I can use even in parallel if I ever need that.

Edited by Rollo62

Mhhh.. just tried in a macOS VM at work and I do have the breakpoints working. Strange.

I also tried back once back home and guess what... it is working now. For how long I have no clue.

Pretty weird... I have the same config on both RadStudio as it's the same VM in which I develop under Windows 10 and target iOS.

Very strange.

Thanks all anyway

2 hours ago, sjordi said:

I also tried back once back home and guess what... it is working now. For how long I have no clue.

Exactly what was happening to me.