PeterPanettone

Search for Usages not usable

In the Delphi 10.4 Code Editor place the caret on an identifier and right-click to open the context menu and select the Search for Usages... menu item:

image.thumb.png.12a577aaa26b0b568426e3e8be0e375d.png

This opens the Search for Usages dialog:

image.png.cf4e07bcbae82ab5bb58e5d0f8f08544.png

When you click the Search button, the list of usages of the searched element is presented:

image.png.c1d9a6f029756101028e0b5b139557d1.png

Now, supposedly double-clicking on any of the found items in the list would jump to that element in the source code? Unfortunately, this is NOT the case. Double-clicking on any of the list items does SELECT that element in the source-code - but it does not jump to its position. So this feature is completely useless!

Why did Embarcadero implement a feature which is not usable and therefore is completely useless?

8 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Why did Embarcadero implement a feature which is not usable and therefore is completely useless?

Completely useless?

It's not a new feature and it used to work-ish so it's probably just broken in 10.4.

Maybe you can use "Find References" (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) instead. It also works sporadically in 10.3. I don't know about 10.4 though.

Personally I always just do a Find In Files. Much more reliable. I guess once they have ironed out the worst LSP bugs Search for Usages and Find Reference can replace that.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 2:31 PM, Vandrovnik said:

I have just tried Search for Usages in 10.3.3 --> IDE frozen, Ctrl+Alt+Del 🙂

I have now tried Search for Usages in 10.3.3 --> No frozen IDE, same behavior as in Delphi 10.4: Double-clicking a search result item does NOT jump to that item in the source code.

On 6/27/2020 at 2:47 PM, Anders Melander said:

Like I said: It work-ish :classic_wink:

What do you mean with that? (I am not a native English speaker).

On 6/27/2020 at 2:49 PM, PeterPanettone said:

IDE frozen

Have you tried to DOCK the Search for Usages result list? Maybe the IDE freezes because it's not docked?

On 6/27/2020 at 1:57 PM, Anders Melander said:

Maybe you can use "Find References"

I am just curious about the Search for Usages IDE tool. As a Delphi user, I feel responsible to get to know all the tools the IDE provides for the developer. If the Search for Usages IDE tool worked correctly it would be a useful tool.

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

What do you mean with that?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/-ish

But I agree that it's mostly broken.

59 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

If the Search for Usages IDE tool worked correctly it would be a useful tool.

Sure. I don't know why we need both Search for Usages and Find References though. It seems to me that Find References is better integrated - and it isn't as broken 🙂

4 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Have you tried to DOCK the Search for Usages result list? Maybe the IDE freezes because it's not docked?

I have not, because no result list was displayed, just cursor indicating that I should wait... After 3 minutes I killed it.

Could someone who has a good knowledge of building plugins just add an automatic action to the DoubleClick action on the Search for Usages list item?

The required action would be very simple: Scroll the caret position into view.

17 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Scroll the caret position into view

Sounds like an ideal case for a GExperts Editor Expert.

Edited by PeterPanettone

4 minutes ago, Georgge Bakh said:

Find usages is one of the most useful and most frequently used features of a code editor. Must work flawlessly.

I strongly agree.

If we can gather some more votes for that issue I will be happy to point the product management to it. As it seems to be some low hanging fruit (looks like a missing MoveViewToCursor call), we might have this being included in 10.4.1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

If we can gather some more votes for that issue I will be happy to point the product management to it. As it seems to be some low hanging fruit (looks like a missing MoveViewToCursor call), we might have this being included in 10.4.1.

I have voted... And I am curious whether it will be fixed before the report is 5 years old 🙂

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Voted for it. Currently, there are 10 votes. Which number of votes would convince the product management to act?

2 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Which number of votes would convince the product management to act?

There is no decent number, but more votes may increase the probability for a fix to be included in a release. There is no guarantee, though.

16 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

(but I don't know how to delete the above posting): 

You can't. Only moderators can. For that you need to "report post" it.