dummzeuch

GExperts 1.3.12 beta for Delphi 10.3 Rio available

I have just uploaded a beta version of GExperts 1.3.12 for Delphi 10.3 Rio.

NOTE: This is a BETA!

Beware of bugs, e.g. the Goto-Dialog enhancements cause redraw problems if theming is enabled, the Run Parameters dialog enhancements (drag and drop for files and directories) don’t work at all.

https://blog.dummzeuch.de/2018/11/25/gexperts-1-3-12-beta-for-delphi-10-3-rio-available/

Edited by dummzeuch
  • Like 3

Unfortunately I've had to disable GExperts for Rio as when I right click on the editor I get an exception that a component with the name "ecSwapCppHdrFiles" already exists.

GExpertsErrorInRio.PNG

35 minutes ago, David Hoyle said:

Unfortunately I've had to disable GExperts for Rio as when I right click on the editor I get an exception that a component with the name "ecSwapCppHdrFiles" already exists.

GExpertsErrorInRio.PNG

There are two experts that accesses this menu:

* Goto Previous Modification

* Goto Next Modification

Try to turn off these two an see whether this changes anything.

Oddly enough, this doesn't happen here, but I have seen that same error message on Friday when I first started to work on GExperts and Rio. It went away later and I never saw it again, no idea what caused it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

* Goto Next Modification

Disabling this two options helps, but only after close and restart Rio

• Like 1

Another minor issue I can live with is that the Editor Experts popup menu appears blanc with the Dark scheme.

• Like 1

I had seen the same error with the editor context menu of MMX. The first time after a fresh IDE start it works, but fails on subsequent right clicks. That is why I removed it for Rio.

I also noticed that the menu entry was moved to the top on the first context popup, albeit it was definitely added at the last position. Something fundamentally changed with the context menu in Rio.

2 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

There are two experts that accesses this menu:

* Goto Next Modification

Oddly enough, this doesn't happen here, but I have seen that same error message on Friday when I first started to work on GExperts and Rio. It went away later and I never saw it again, no idea what caused it.

Thomas,

I disabled these experts but the same issue occurred. I restarted the IDE and the error was gone. So, yes, its these experts that are causing but you need to restart the IDE after disabling them.

51 minutes ago, David Hoyle said:

I disabled these experts but the same issue occurred. I restarted the IDE and the error was gone. So, yes, its these experts that are causing but you need to restart the IDE after disabling them.

Hm, that's odd, now all of a sudden I get this error again.

And I can even see it in the debugger and with a sensible call stack:

FillPopupMenu.png.d54306415df62ba6ec7420ace67548e3.png

I think the cause is that the editor popup menu is now filled dynamically by the IDE. It expects a given order of menu items and if that changes, can no longer find some items and tries to add them again -> Boom.

That also explains why the entries appeared on the top of the menu: There are no other entries when I add them the first time.

Edited by dummzeuch

1 hour ago, pyscripter said:

Another minor issue I can live with is that the Editor Experts popup menu appears blanc with the Dark scheme.

What exactly do you mean with the "Editor Experts popup menu" ? It can't be the sub menu "Editor Experts" of the GExperts menu, at least that one works fine for me.

Have you maybe assigned a keyboard shorcut to the "Editor Experts" expert and call that menu via this shortcut?

When I use the GExperts. Editor Experts menu command there is no submenu.  A popup menu appears in the editor blank (with no visible entries).

5 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

What exactly do you mean with the "Editor Experts popup menu" ? It can't be the sub menu "Editor Experts" of the GExperts menu, at least that one works fine for me.

Have you maybe assigned a keyboard shorcut to the "Editor Experts" expert and call that menu via this shortcut?

Thomas,

When I press CTRL+H to display the Editor Experts, the popup menu is drawn such that the text cannot be read for the items (see attached image - also the toolbar is not themed).

GExpertsErrorPopupMenu.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Hoyle said:

When I press CTRL+H to display the Editor Experts, the popup menu is drawn such that the text cannot be read for the items (see attached image - also the toolbar is not themed).

That the toolbar is not themed is a known limitation and I am not going to fix it. If somebody else wants to have a go, he/she is welcome.

Regarding the menu again:

Just to be sure we are talking about the same menu. There are two of them:

* One is called "Editor Popup menu", that one is configurable, shows entries prefixed by numbers and is usually opened using Ctrl+H. This one works fine for me.

* The other one is normally a sub menu of the GExperts main menu and contains all enabled Editor Experts. By default it has no keyboard shortcut. The sub menu works fine for me, but if I assign a keyboard shortcut or call it via a button added to any of the toolbars, I see a drawing issue.

Which one are you referring to? And how to you open it.

4 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

That the toolbar is not themed is a known limitation and I am not going to fix it. If somebody else wants to have a go, he/she is welcome.

Regarding the menu again:

Just to be sure we are talking about the same menu. There are two of them:

* One is called "Editor Popup menu", that one is configurable, shows entries prefixed by numbers and is usually opened using Ctrl+H. This one works fine for me.

* The other one is normally a sub menu of the GExperts main menu and contains all enabled Editor Experts. By default it has no keyboard shortcut. The sub menu works fine for me, but if I assign a keyboard shortcut or call it via a button added to any of the toolbars, I see a drawing issue.

Which one are you referring to? And how to you open it.

Thomas,

Its the first item you've described. I noticed that this was okay with 10.2.3 when themed with a Dark Theme. Its might be that all it needs is IOTAIDEThemingServices.ApplyTheme(Component) to be called on the pop-up menu before it is made visible.

I'm currently not in a position to be able to try this as I have a bunch of stuff to get loaded into Rio before I could get GExpert compilable.

Unless you do any owner drawing - if so that's a little more work.

Edited by David Hoyle

That empty popup menu also happened to the CnPack guys during beta. I could also see it while fiddling around with making MMX support themes. It happened with a standard toolbar button set to DropDown, while the currently used TB2k/Tbx popup menu works. As ever so often it could not reliably been reproduced with a simple test case.

The problem is with displaying the icons. If I do not assign anything to the Images property, it works fine.

Edit: Yes, definitely the icons. I reverted all other changes but left the Images property empty and it works fine now.

Not sure what to make of it.

Calling IOTAIDEThemingServices.ApplyTheme on the popup menu doesn't solve the issue. But if I call it on the menu without images, it is shown themed.

I think for now I am simply going to remove the icons and go forward with other stuff.

Edited by dummzeuch

17 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Yes, definitely the icons. I reverted all other changes but left the Images property empty and it works fine now.

Good catch! This allows me to create a reproducible test case and send it to David Millington.

2 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Good catch! This allows me to create a reproducible test case and send it to David Millington.

I had an unfair advantage: A popup menu that did work. So all I had to do was compare them.

Edited by dummzeuch
  • Thanks 1

The same problem exists in Delphi 10.2 with any theme but the light one. And there the light theme isn't a real theme anyway but the native VCL look.

What I found is that the current OnPopup event in Delphi removes and/or disables the entries in the menu.

The same menu is reused for the right click on the editor and breakpoints.

My current workaround for this is to hook into the OnPopup event, clear the menu, run the original OnPupup handler and then add myself to the menu.

Details here https://sourceforge.net/p/delphitsvnaddin/code/95/log/?path=/trunk (revision 91 and 94).

I'm happy to report that the problem with the icons in the popup menus causing empty entries seems to have been fixed in Delphi 10.4. So I have now enabled them in GExperts again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also fixed the problem reported by David Hoyle

On 11/25/2018 at 2:26 PM, David Hoyle said:

a component with the name "ecSwapCppHdrFiles" already exists.

by hooking the popup menu's OnPopup event. Apparently every other plugin has done the same by now, if only I had googled for "ecSwapCppHdrFiles" before reinventing the wheel. 😞

But my solution is better: It does not add entries for the breakpoints popup menu. 🙂