Incus J

Restore Delphi File Associations?

I recently installed Delphi 10.4 and migrated my settings across from Delphi 10.3 via a .idesettings file.

After that I uninstalled Delphi 10.3 as I figured I wouldn't need the previous version any more.  This might have been a mistake:

All the Windows 10 file associations for Delphi (.dproj .dpr etc.) disappeared.

How can I reinstate them - does Delphi have a repair option?

The installer has a repair option, but I wouldn't bother and just tell Windows to open all Delphi files with bds.exe in the Delphi installation's bin directory. That takes less time than the installer needs to even start.

Thank you.

I haven't found the repair option yet - sometimes software offers repair in the Add/Remove Programs window.  But I could only see Uninstall offered there.

I tried setting file associations manually via the Windows right-click Open With... option, but couldn't get the setting to stick.  Windows kept displaying the Open With... dialog in a never ending loop.  Not sure why.

Luckily I found an answer in another post on this forum.  Just in case it helps someone else:  In Delphi IDE Options there is a section listing File Associations.  Unticking them all, then ticking them again seems to have fixed the issue.  Phew!

• Like 2

On 7/17/2020 at 5:19 PM, David Heffernan said:

Yes. 

I think uninstalling 10.3 may have also uninstalled the Documentation for 10.4.

How do I find and run that Repair option?

Thanks Vandrovnik,

In Tools > Manage Platforms, the Help documentation was marked as installed.

So I unticked it, then clicked Apply to remove.

Next I opened Manage Platforms again, re-ticked Help and Apply to (hopefully) reinstall Help.

It seemed to be downloading and installing Help, but at the end announced:

"Operation error, Invalid serial number"

I restarted Delphi, checked the software is still licensed in the Help About box - that seems OK.

So I tried again, and got the same error.

Any ideas?  I have a current update subscription, which is listed in the License Manager, and 10.4 seemed to be running OK over the weeks I've been attempting to migrate from 10.3.

(Edit:  The error sometimes changes to "Operation error, Internal check error")

Edited by Incus J

After my issues with the Platform Manager on Friday, the IDE began displaying missing .bpl package errors when starting up, and the macOS platform was no longer available to add to a project.

So I've uninstalled and reinstalled Delphi 10.4 (using the web installer, same as before).  The IDE starts up without errors now, and the Help documentation is back, though oddly the documentation refers to '10.4 Denali' - should that be 'Sydney' ?

Unfortunately the macOS platform is still missing, though it appears to be installed - I suspect the IDE is just no longer attempting to load the necessary macOS packages.  Is there a listbox of IDE .bpl packages, maybe with checkboxes to enable them?  I've found a list of Design packages for a Project, but not packages for the IDE itself.

593267870_PlatformManager10-4.thumb.png.5530b28d8883c6b867bb6cf87c2a23db.png

OK I couldn't find anything in the IDE, but a quick browse of the Windows registry revealed a key named:

Disabled IDE Packages

...containing three package entries.  I exported a copy of this key for safety, then deleted the three entries.  Restarted Delphi, and the macOS platform reappeared.

If anyone finds that bits of the IDE are no longer loading, this might be useful.

I had this one time, was necessary just this:

• run IDE as Admin
  • go to Tool options, and uncheck and check again "associations files"
  • it's ready! (im use just one IDE... i dont have any other)