c0d3r

Delphi 10.3.3/10.4 IDE Editor on VMware speed issue

Does anyone install 10.3.3/10.4 on a VMWare machine?  I have installed Delphi 10.4 enterprise on a VMWare (15.5.6) machine, Win10 2004, 4K Resolution, 8/10GB Ram (Host has 32GB RAM), having some IDE editor speed issues, mainly related to the mouse wheel scrolling:

1) Open an unit,  went to the end of unit,  Do mouse wheel up/down on the source codes, you would see the source codes scrolling speed is very slow,  took one second to scroll up/down a line.

2) Unchecked "Enable Flow Control Highlighting" from Tools/Options/Editor/Color/Structural Highlighting", then open an unit, do mouse wheel up/down on the source codes, also took one second to scroll up/down a line. 

Edited by c0d3r

I have that same setup.

My Delphi 10.4 enterprise IDE was very sluggish until I changed some Windows 10 settings inside the VM as well as on the host machine.  After those changes it behaves much faster. 

-> start - control panel

-> in the control panel, double-click the "System" applet

-> click "Advanced system settings"

-> in the field "Performance", click the button "Settings"

Then select the settings as in the image below.  Re-start windows.

speed settings.png

• Like 1

Thanks much. It indeed improves, but the scrolling issues I described are still there.

19 hours ago, c0d3r said:

Does anyone install 10.3.3/10.4 on a VMWare machine?  I have installed Delphi 10.4 enterprise on a VMWare (15.5.6) machine, Win10 2004, 4K Resolution, 8/10GB Ram (Host has 32GB RAM), having some IDE editor speed issues, mainly related to the mouse wheel scrolling:

1) Open an unit,  went to the end of unit,  Do mouse wheel up/down on the source codes, you would see the source codes scrolling speed is very slow,  took one second to scroll up/down a line.

2) Unchecked "Enable Flow Control Highlighting" from Tools/Options/Editor/Color/Structural Highlighting", then open an unit, do mouse wheel up/down on the source codes, also took one second to scroll up/down a line. 

I don't think there's anything inherently broken in the setup.  I have similar hardware specs and 15.5.5 and do not experience the issue.  A couple generic things I typically look at for performance issues:

- First step is to ensure VMWare Tools is up to date.

- Ensure your AntiVirus type tools on the host machine are excluding the directory of the Virtual Machine files

- Right click the VM in the library and select SnapShot->SnapShot Manager.  Performance really degrades as snapshots pile up...perhaps make a full clone and try it without any snapshots if you have more than a couple snapshots.

- Edit the VM settings, click on the drive(s) and select Defragment for each.

- Within the VM ensure anti-virus type tools are excluding your source file directory

- Run Task Manager/Resource Monitor and look for CPU/Disk hogs on the host and inside the VM.  (Windows Search is a typical culprit)

If you have IDE Experts loaded, I'd look at disabling those one at a time to test for conflict.

Up until yesterday, I did have the LSP-Based CodeInsight disabled...maybe try disabling that temporarily to test.   (Tools->Options->User Interface->Editor->Source->Delphi source type->Code Insight->Code insight manager: change to "Delphi (Classic Code Insight)")

+Ensure latest IDE patches are installed.

The problem is caused by the fact that a VM does not have a "real" accelerated graphics adapter. So lots of graphical bells and whistles that are used by Windows 10 (such as "smooth" scrolling, transparency, drop shadows, animations of menus and listboxes etc) are done by the much slower CPU instead of by the GPU. 

And that is VERY noticeable in the Delphi IDE.  Disabling those options in Windows made my Delphi 10.4 FLY instead of crawl.

I have almost the same configuration and bellow settings for display but I don't see any issues with scrolling. In VM is Windows 1903, on host 2004.

I don't do any adjustments to the IDE after instalation.

I will try to install Windows 2004 also in one VM and see.

Update: I can install now Windows 2004 only on older VM's, on newer VM's with D10.3.3 and 10.4 I have this message "The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. Once it’s ready for your device, you’ll see the update available on this page."

image.thumb.png.4f0fedc88af06656c342e3524458f197.png

Edited by Cristian Peța

Interesting.  Ticked Accelerate 3D graphics with 1G Graphics memory is even worse than unticked.  I'm using Lenovo T560 i7-6600U @ 2.60ghz, 32Gb ram, SSD, 4K resolution and graphic setting:

image.png.04cdf43d91c25c34ab4e0ce2f7b68136.png

2 VMs,  the one with Delphi 2007 installed doesn't have any issue,  but the one with Delphi 10.4/10.3.3 installed is having the issue, never used Snapshot.

Edited by c0d3r

In my humble expirience and opinion, Hyper-V works much better (w/ Delpi IDE) than VirtualBox or VMWare.

5 hours ago, Dany Marmur said:

In my humble expirience and opinion, Hyper-V works much better (w/ Delpi IDE) than VirtualBox or VMWare.

Thanks much.  I will give the Hyper-V a try.  is there any tool that could convert a VMWare to a Hyper-V?

@c0d3r before you do anything drastic, please try the Windows 10 graphics settings I mentioned earlier. They made a vast difference for me and my colleagues. And the settings are easily reversible if you don't like them.

5 hours ago, A.M. Hoornweg said:

@c0d3r before you do anything drastic, please try the Windows 10 graphics settings I mentioned earlier. They made a vast difference for me and my colleagues. And the settings are easily reversible if you don't like them.

Yes. I did what you mentioned to the Windows 10 graphics settings, but the scrolling issues were still there.

1 hour ago, c0d3r said:

Yes. I did what you mentioned to the Windows 10 graphics settings, but the scrolling issues were still there.

When you find solution, please let us know. Not sure if anything in older thread could be useful to you, but I never managed to have useful setup in vmware:

I'm still on 10.2.3, so perhaps that is the cause.

5 hours ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

When you find solution, please let us know. Not sure if anything in older thread could be useful to you, but I never managed to have useful setup in vmware:

I'm still on 10.2.3, so perhaps that is the cause.

OK. will let you know when I have times to try Hyper-V.   I can't make smooth Delphi 10.4 IDE on VM.  I was starting use Delphi since Turbo Pascal era,  can't believe its getting worse after 20 years, tons of bugs.

• Thanks 1

No, its not worse.  Its just stabilizing on a floating level :classic_smile:

23 hours ago, c0d3r said:

Thanks much.  I will give the Hyper-V a try.  is there any tool that could convert a VMWare to a Hyper-V?

I do not remember the specifics but i googled and converted some.

Hyper-V needs Windoze as host and Windoze 7 or 10 to be able to resize the "window".

The only thing i miss from VirtualBox is the "Host Key" (hit it and hit alt+Tab and you are out on the host).

Hyper-V runs via RDP (TerminalSever). At first i was a bit held back by this.

But... after a while, getting used to click outside, it rocks!

Hyper-V manages machines and allocates memory. You can shut down the host without problems.

You will not be able to access your vm's without an AD (this is M$) - but if you can open up the RPD port to the host, imho it often works better om the move than copying the clients to a cutting-edge laptop.

HTH

I would choose Hyper-V over any other solution, it is fast and stable, with main point is Windows as Hyper-V guest out perform the other solutions, and will get the same good performance on all Hosts ( 2012, 2016, 2019, 8, 8,1 ,7 ,10)

One thing though about this

10 hours ago, Dany Marmur said:

You will not be able to access your vm's without an AD (this is M$)

This was pushed by Microsoft but there is different solutions to manage the Hyper-V Host without AD or domain, i am using 5Nine manager it just ask for IP/Host, UserName, Password , alas just googled and couldn't found it !, Acronis acquired it at the end of last year.

There is other approaches like this https://www.probus-it.com/  when i was making decision between ProHVM and 5Nine manager 5 years ago, ProHVM wasn't offering replica as it does now and lacked many features, but now it looks full featured, you might find it useful.

Another way is to enable remote managing, for that consult with Google and you can use the Hyper-V manager itself in remote without AD.

7 hours ago, Kas Ob. said:

I would choose Hyper-V over any other solution, it is fast and stable, with main point is Windows as Hyper-V guest out perform the other solutions, and will get the same good performance on all Hosts ( 2012, 2016, 2019, 8, 8,1 ,7 ,10)

One thing though about this

This was pushed by Microsoft but there is different solutions to manage the Hyper-V Host without AD or domain, i am using 5Nine manager it just ask for IP/Host, UserName, Password , alas just googled and couldn't found it !, Acronis acquired it at the end of last year.

There is other approaches like this https://www.probus-it.com/  when i was making decision between ProHVM and 5Nine manager 5 years ago, ProHVM wasn't offering replica as it does now and lacked many features, but now it looks full featured, you might find it useful.

Another way is to enable remote managing, for that consult with Google and you can use the Hyper-V manager itself in remote without AD.

Thank you very much.

10 hours ago, Kas Ob. said:
21 hours ago, Dany Marmur said:

You will not be able to access your vm's without an AD (this is M$)

Of course, i should have said "from outside your network without a VPN/AD or opening up a port." Is what i meant but you got that.

Interesting, i'll check them out, thanks!

Spent some times to convert 2 vmdks to vhdxs,  and install Hyper-V.  Its a bit faster than VMWare. However, here is the big one I don't like:  It automatically scale the virtual machine screen display to match the host DPI, and there is no way you can change it in Guest OS (they are all disabled), I'm always using full screen mode, so its hard to test applications by using different DPIs.

6 hours ago, c0d3r said:

However, here is the big one I don't like:  It automatically scale the virtual machine screen display to match the host DPI, and there is no way you can change it in Guest OS (they are all disabled), I'm always using full screen mode, so its hard to test applications by using different DPIs.

What is the software you are using to access the guests ? because that behaviour is managed by the access software (RDP).

Have you tried 2xClient https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/2x_client_portable

or the latest version https://www.parallels.com/products/ras/download/client/

9 hours ago, Kas Ob. said:

What is the software you are using to access the guests ? because that behaviour is managed by the access software (RDP).

Have you tried 2xClient https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/2x_client_portable

or the latest version https://www.parallels.com/products/ras/download/client/

I didn't use 3rd party software,  just running the guest OS from Hyper-V manager, I guess its the default Windows Remote Desktop??.  However, I do see it mentioned that you can't change display settings or DPI from remote access.

Edited by c0d3r

18 hours ago, c0d3r said:

Spent some times to convert 2 vmdks to vhdxs,  and install Hyper-V.  Its a bit faster than VMWare.

You notice faster system in general or Delphi IDE?