c0d3r

Delphi 10.3.3/10.4 IDE Editor on VMware speed issue

Hi,

Good to hear you found a resolution.

FWIW, mainly using VMware Fusion here since its first release and do all of my development in there, no nasty scrolling issues.

Also no problems on VMware Workstation 15.5.6 (using it even longer)

A few remarks

- if you use a higher screen resolution then you should have enough RAM assigned to the VM (I think you were fine on that). Note that stretch mode will slow down performance.

- Full screen mode (again that's what you used, just trying to be complete) is faster than using the Unity option as with unity VMware has to scrape the contents of the screen and then redisplay it within a window at the host with dramatic performance implications.

- Selecting 3D should normally improve graphic performance, but some workloads it appears to work the opposite, as such disabling 3D is a standard troubleshooting step.

- Never over provision CPU resources. A lot of the GPU is done on the CPU, if you assign too many cores then not enough resources are left for either host OS, network (also a CPU resource) and virtual GPU. My rule of thumb is to not give more than half the physical number of cores to a VM.

- Running VMware Workstation under Hyper-V will have a performance impact. According to VMware's developers it is expected to be about 20% slower.

If you continue to have problems with this then please open a thread over at the VMware Community forums and I (or one of the other regulars) will help you out troubleshooting this issue.

4 hours ago, wva said:

Hi,

Good to hear you found a resolution.

FWIW, mainly using VMware Fusion here since its first release and do all of my development in there, no nasty scrolling issues.

Also no problems on VMware Workstation 15.5.6 (using it even longer)

A few remarks

- if you use a higher screen resolution then you should have enough RAM assigned to the VM (I think you were fine on that). Note that stretch mode will slow down performance.

- Full screen mode (again that's what you used, just trying to be complete) is faster than using the Unity option as with unity VMware has to scrape the contents of the screen and then redisplay it within a window at the host with dramatic performance implications.

- Selecting 3D should normally improve graphic performance, but some workloads it appears to work the opposite, as such disabling 3D is a standard troubleshooting step.

- Never over provision CPU resources. A lot of the GPU is done on the CPU, if you assign too many cores then not enough resources are left for either host OS, network (also a CPU resource) and virtual GPU. My rule of thumb is to not give more than half the physical number of cores to a VM.

- Running VMware Workstation under Hyper-V will have a performance impact. According to VMware's developers it is expected to be about 20% slower.

If you continue to have problems with this then please open a thread over at the VMware Community forums and I (or one of the other regulars) will help you out troubleshooting this issue.

Thank you for the advice.  I have just made an order for a new Lenovo Laptop P1 Gen 2.  I will try again on that machine once I receive it.  The Stretch mode was indeed turned on, so I will try with it off on the new laptop.

On 8/21/2020 at 3:34 PM, Wil van Antwerpen said:

Selecting 3D should normally improve graphic performance,

Would be good to get your opinion here, since I've disabled 3D for a good reason.

In one of the former versions of VmWare Fusion (1-2 versions earlier), it crashes the whole VmWare HOST reproducable,

only by openening any 3D app, even MsPaint 3D.

(VmWare Fusion, MacBook Pro, VmWare, Host Catalina,  Guest Win10 190x, ...)

Have you recognized same behaviour ?

I have not tested with latest version, as I don't need 3D at the moment.

Edited by Rollo62

1 hour ago, Rollo62 said:

Would be good to get your opinion here, since I've disabled 3D for a good reason.

In one of the former versions of VmWare Fusion (1-2 versions earlier), it crashes the whole VmWare HOST reproducable,

only by openening any 3D app, even MsPaint 3D.

(VmWare Fusion, MacBook Pro, VmWare, Host Catalina,  Guest Win10 190x, ...)

Have you recognized same behaviour ?

I have not tested with latest version, as I don't need 3D at the moment.

This gets a bit off topic and while I have no problem answering here.

It is really probably better answered at the VMware communities Fusion forum  (I read every post at the Fusion and Workstation subforums, but you can always ping me there too )  Not that I am the expert on the graphics stack, but I might be able to help, if only to get the right information for others to help you.

There's a lot of factors that can influence this, like your VM's configuration, what hardware you are running (not all MBP's are the same) and what version of VMware Fusion you are running. If you have an MBP then you probably have 2 graphics adapters (discrete and integrated) and you can tell VMware which one to use as a probably mitigation.

I don't have your problem, nor have I seen it myself. MSPaint 3D works fine here, not that I ever use it.

Earlier versions of VMware Fusion would use an openGL renderer at the host, while nowadays a Metal renderer is used.

Older graphics cards work better with the openGL backend and newer ones with the Metal one.

You can switch the background renderer if your MBP is older (like a MBP from 2014 or earlier) and it helps.

Then there's the whole matter of which 3D technology you're using.

As you are in a Windows VM, DirectX is currently limited to DX10 and openGL to version 3.3. (VMware Fusion 12/ WS 16, to be released in a few weeks go to DX11 and OpenGL 4.1)

The DX compatibility level also depends on the virtual hardware version you choose.

While things might be choppy on a slower configuration, none of it should ever crash the host.

As you can see I need more info to investigate your issue...

• Like 1

@Wil van Antwerpen

Ok, if thats regarded off-topic I won't get deeper here too.

Only so far that two MacBooks 2013, 2018 behaved exaclty the same, maybe I find some time to check current Vm11.5.6, if this is improved.
At least I know who I could ask if I see such strange behaviour again 👍

3 hours ago, Rollo62 said:

@Wil van Antwerpen

Ok, if thats regarded off-topic I won't get deeper here too.

Only so far that two MacBooks 2013, 2018 behaved exaclty the same, maybe I find some time to check current Vm11.5.6, if this is improved.
At least I know who I could ask if I see such strange behaviour again 👍

:) Off topic for the original thread as you are reporting a different problem on another product.

But, yes I think these type of questions do have a better chance of getting resolved at VMware's forum.

There's not just me, but many more VMware experts who are roaming those forums including a bunch of their developers who actually work on the internals of VMware Fusion and Workstation.

Host crashes tend to get extra attention as that's of course not something you ever would want to see.

Hmmm, just realized that my VMWare Workstation Pro was a 32 bit version,  Does it has a 64 bit version?

It seems that they finally fixed my issues on VM with 4K monitor in Delphi 10.4.1

Edited by c0d3r

11 hours ago, c0d3r said:

Hmmm, just realized that my VMWare Workstation Pro was a 32 bit version,  Does it has a 64 bit version?

The last 32 bit Workstation Pro is from quite a while ago. It was either VMware Workstation version 9 or version 10.

Either way it was many years ago.

Perhaps you are looking at the GUI? That part is still 32 bit.

2 hours ago, Wil van Antwerpen said:

The last 32 bit Workstation Pro is from quite a while ago. It was either VMware Workstation version 9 or version 10.

Either way it was many years ago.

Perhaps you are looking at the GUI? That part is still 32 bit.

Ah, It could be just the GUI.