Steve Maughan

APPX & ProgramData Folder...

I'm trying to prepare my application for the Windows Store. I'm new to APPX applications so have some basic questions — I hope someone is able and willing to help. 

I created the APPX file using Advanced Installer. This seemed easy.

The application installs a lot of data into the common app data folder (usually in "c:\Program Data\Cozmix\AlignMix"). When I sideload the application there are no errors. However, there is also no data in "c:\Program Data\Cozmix\AlignMix". I assume it has its own virtualized version of this folder — is this correct?  I then store an activation key in the same folder— which I can't see.

My question is as follows: is the common app data folder the right location to store APPX application data? If not, where should it be stored?

Thanks,

Steve  

Thanks!

So how do I access the files? I would have assumed Windows would provide the virtual path when I call:

SHGetFolderPath(0, CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA, 0, SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT, @path[0])

Is this not the case?

Steve

30 minutes ago, Steve Maughan said:

Thanks!

So how do I access the files? I would have assumed Windows would provide the virtual path when I call:

SHGetFolderPath(0, CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA, 0, SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT, @path[0])

Is this not the case?

Steve

I've now updated the API to get the common data path to:

result := IncludeTrailingBackslash(TPath.GetPublicPath)

I thought that would fix it but unfortunately not — the application is still not seeing the virtualized folder.

I haven't quite understood if your issue is that

1. The files from your installer are expected to be in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\package_name\VFS\Common App Data, but they are not
  2. The files are there, but your application does not find them