carlitos_k

Delphi 10.4 IDE - F12 Editor/Designer toggle

Hi,

I'm using Delphi 10.3 Rio in VirtualBox, I returned from 10.4 because of slow form or datamodule loading times, for my config it takes 5 to 10 seconds to load a form with say 20 components.

I use a Dell XPS 15, 16GB RAM, i7-7700HQ, 1TB SSD.

How much does this take in your PCs? Is it normal?

I tried disabling live bindings, wellcome page, etc..

Thank you in advance.

Carlos

If you put here .pas and .dfm file, I can try it on my PC and let you know (10.3.3 and patched 10.4.0).

That would only work if you have the same packages installed as Carlos has.

Thanks for replying.

I guess that my problem is not a common experience for the rest of users, I'll try to investigate what's happening with our local Emb representative.

Thanks again!

I have an XPS, i7, 16GB, SSD, one of the first (9550).

It has a built-in 4K screen. Not all XPS's have that, some came with a sensible HD screen (1920). That will bog things down, IMHO.

When starting a "design-time-centred" project, fist in Berlin, the Rio and now in Sydney... well i was going bonanza crazy.

I went to the local store and bought some Asus-rog-based parts (around €1700) with an i9 and superfast memory and a huge fan. No graphics card (do not need it).

Wow. That works. Now it's possible to do these design-time stuff with 4 levels of visual inheritance and DX or another huge 3rd party lib.

*It sucks to sit on an expensive laptop that handles everything else with a breeze and watch the IDE go through all it's excessive update motions.*

This project can afford new hardware, but IMHO it should not be like that.

DX have ticket, other have tickets, the refreshed of the IDE are a mess. A serious mess that needs support deep down in the dfm-reader/s to be made workable again.. Emba ignores it as it seems.

/D

Mine is 4k too, great laptop. The only detail is the palmrest material is starting to get sticky, I think it is the moisture in my area, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I've been thinking of replacing the XPS with a 6 core i7, maybe a gaming machine, Lenovo Legion 5 17 FHD to avoid high DPI or for 500 bucks more a macbook pro 16 to be able to try macOS development with Delphi, but in any case I am trying to have a speedy development workstation. I want to maintain the VM usage, it is better in my opinion. 

10.3 Rio is faster because of IDE Fix Pack and LiveBindings disabling, I like the new features of 10.4 but decided to go back. I even tried installing it on the physical machine and it also lags. Maybe the IDE refresh is worse using 4K.

Personally I think Emba has lots of open fronts with the different platforms they decided to support, it is very hard to comply for a small company.

Carlos