Tom F

Has the migration tool EVER worked for you?

Has the migration tool EVER worked for you?  It hasn't for me.

I just tried migrating IDE settings from Tokyo to Rio. I also just tried migrating IDE settings from one Tokyo installation to a clean installation on another machine.

Both failed to move my toolbar button or syntax highlighting or desktops, which were the main things I wanted to migrate.  I gave up at that point and abandoned Rio.

There's even less incentive to update to try a new version of Delphi if the migration tool doesn't work.

I actually tried to be a "good user" and took a look at Quality Central with this query.  But after seeing two pages of items, some going back years, I gave up.  

What's your experience with the migration tool?

I used the Migration Tool to move my syntax highlighting from 10.2.3 to 10.3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom F said:

Has the migration tool EVER worked for you?

Never, I use Beyond Compare, hook up to both registry trees and copy/merge at will. BC even allows me to alter the paths after I copy.
Been using that since Seattle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

not usually. It seems to miss some key things. I can see the differences it makes in the Registry, yet the IDE looks exactly the same after I run it as it did before.

I end up spending more time trying to make it work and track down issues than it takes to just reorganize everything by hand.

Same here. Didn't work for me. Had to export the registry keys for Tokyo, edited them and import again.

Very sad that this is just another buggy release that shouldn't have been deployed.

Every year, every release is the same old thing.

2 hours ago, Luis Madaleno said:

every release is the same old thing

Sure, but your clients will understand that the most important part of developing is the new skins 🙂

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, FredS said:

your clients will understand that the most important part of developing is the new skins

Actually clients do think this way!

A couple of years ago we made a poll about features our customers want to see implemented in our software. Nearly 2/3 of the answers were about visual appearance. Probably because that is what the customers see and work with. They usually don't understand the internals and simply assume they just work. Even now I get approval for changes much easier if they are heavily accompanied by visual enhancements.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Probably because that is what the customers see and work with

Nothing like a little 'Lipstick' 🙂

13 hours ago, FredS said:

Nothing like a little 'Lipstick' 🙂

It works for Microsoft, why not for us?

Did all those UI changes really work in favour of Windows 10? They definitely didn't for Windows 8.

Eye candy goes hand in hand with UX. If the usability sucks people will notice. If the UX is great but the UI is a bit dated people that are actually using it won't complain (much) but new users might pass by just because the first impression is not great visually. If all you got though is eye candy it might draw people but then let them down by crappy UX.

• Like 3