PeterPanettone

New annoying IDE malfunction

Suddenly (since yesterday), when I press F6 in the IDE to put the caret inside the Delphi Insight Search box, a strange grey "panel" is covering part of the title-bar controls:

image.png.6d0b61428dc9e2db33066b2c5f0976f4.png

This "panel" cannot be moved away, it just stays there annoying me because it covers the title-bar controls.

It doesn't go away when I press F6 again.

When I click in the Delphi Insight Search box with the mouse the grey panel does not appear, only when I press F6.

When I right-click the grey panel it shows the same context menu as when right-clicking the IDE Toolbar area (so it seems to be a part of the IDE toolbar area):

image.png.ae8c2e9ae3f69ef20e5a7f4bd0d2cb8b.png

(I have disabled all IDE toolbars to exclude the grey panel being a strayed toolbar).

The GExperts Keyboard Shortcuts wizard shows no action for the F6 key:

image.png.0db54681305e88253e79b023e30d23b2.png

When I restart the IDE the grey panel has disappeared until I click the F6 key again.

I have disabled ALL IDE plugins and addons but the grey panel stays there.

Strangely, when I click the "IDE Insight..." menu item (which has a different shortcut) in the SEARCH menu, the grey panel also appears:

image.png.2b3c20055c468c2c01633cb05ff6b16b.png

So using this menu shortcut CTRL+. the grey panel also appears.

I have nothing running in the background which could interfere with the F6 key.

Has anybody experienced a similar annoyance in the Delphi IDE? How could I make the grey panel go away?

Edited by PeterPanettone

4 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Thank you very much! The JIRA comment says:

"Internal copy (RS-100122) of this issue is closed as duplicate of internal issue RS-100117 by Calvin Tang on May 13, 2020. This issue is re-linked to internal issue RS-100117"

What does this mean?

It means that there's an internal issue open which is not visible to the public.

7 hours ago, toms said:

It means that there's an internal issue open which is not visible to the public.

Why would they want to keep this "panel affair" SECRET?

It's not secret.
It is just that internal issue tracker probably have lots of tasks/requests/issues that are just that - internal.
So, an externally reported issue, happened to be a duplicate of an already registered internal issue.

Basically, it went into the internal laundry basket, instead of the external one.

5 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Basically, it went into the internal laundry basket, instead of the external one.

I want to have public quality reports handled PUBLICLY, not thrown into a "laundry basket".

It was handled publicly. it was Identified as a duplicate of an internal report and updated with a reference to that report, which means when the internal report is updated and closed, the external one will be as well. Just the same way as it has always been done.

The FACT is: The Delphi IDE contains a GREY PANEL that was previously INVISIBLE and now for some unknown reason has become visible.

What could be the PURPOSE of the grey panel?

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Why do I waste my time on your posts?

That is clearly a RHETORICAL QUESTION. But it doesn't answer the question about the grey panel.

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

What could be the PURPOSE of the grey panel?

This question implies that it is shown on purpose. Most likely it is not.

18 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

This question implies that it is shown on purpose. Most likely it is not.

IMO, the logically correct conclusion would be:

There is nothing in the IDE that has no purpose. So most likely the grey panel (invisible or not) has a purpose.

(Please provide convincing evidence to the contrary if you can)

Edited by PeterPanettone

2 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

That is clearly a RHETORICAL QUESTION. But it doesn't answer the question about the grey panel.

Instead of just continuing why don't you take a moment to reflect on why one would consider answering your questions a waste of time.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

Instead of just continuing why don't you take a moment to reflect on why one would consider answering your questions a waste of time.

Why do you waste your time criticizing things which are out of your reach?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

There is nothing in the IDE that has no purpose. So most likely the grey panel (invisible or not) has a purpose.

(Please provide convincing evidence to the contrary if you can)

Install my Delphi IDE Explorer and have a look around. You will find plenty that does not have a purpose (any more). And if this panel annoys you so much, write yourself a plugin that hides it.

46 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Why do you waste your time criticizing things which are out of your reach?

Are you projecting or did you mean that your behavior is out of my reach?

If the former: [facepalm]

If the latter: It wasn't critique but thanks for asking anyway. It was a request made in the hope of minimizing the amount of endless, pointless noise.

I have added @Anders Melander to my ignore list. So in the future, it's useless for him to write comments directed at me.

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

So in the future, it's useless for him to write comments directed at me.

Useless, yes. That was kinda the point.

34 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

And if this panel annoys you so much, write yourself a plugin that hides it.

This sentence contains a lot of revealing meta-information.

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

I have added @Anders Melander to my ignore list. So in the future, it's useless for him to write comments directed at me.

There is an ignore list on this forum?! Where? I never seen it!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, aehimself said:

I wasn't aware of it too; so at least one useful thing PP did for me. Though I haven't got the need for ignore list at all until he appeared...

30 minutes ago, aehimself said:

Hold the mouse over the profile picture of the person you want to ignore. You will get additional information on him/her. On that panel there is a "Ignore User" button.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Hold the mouse over the profile picture of the person you want to ignore. You will get additional information on him/her. On that panel there is a "Ignore User" button.

There is that little beauty! I was not aware that we have a user fly-out menu until now:

image.png.2cfa73b7a9c1759863545fd7b05374d5.png

7 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

internal laundry basket, instead of the external one

Unfortunately this means that in the next delivery no one will tell me if my shirt, a critical part of the outfit, has changed functionality 🙂