Edwin Yip

What's the shortcut for 'double click to maximize the editor area'

As demonstrated in the following animated GIF, it's very convenient to be able to quickly switch between the 'editor maximized' mode and 'editor with sidebars (Inspector, MMX, etc)' mode in the IDE, by double clicking on the editor tabs. I'm not sure since which version this feature was introduced, but at least it exists in my XE4. 

The question - how to make it even more convenient by allow us to press a shortcut and perform the above mode switch? Is there a built-in hotkey for that? if not, there is an IDE plugin that does this? Thanks!

DoubleClickMaximizeDelphiIdeEditorArea.gif

Edited by Edwin Yip

Strange, double clicking on the editor tabs closes the tab in my setup - I wonder if any of GExperts / CNPack catches the double click and does the closing?

17 minutes ago, M.Joos said:

Strange, double clicking on the editor tabs closes the tab in my setup - I wonder if any of GExperts / CNPack catches the double click and does the closing?

You might misunderstood my question. Yes, CNPack can change the behavior from 'maximizing/restoring the editor area' to 'closing the editor file', and I don't enable that CNPack option

My question is not that maximizing/restoring the editor area is not working, it works. what I ask is - can I press any keyboard shortcut to invoke the 'maximize/restore editor area' function?

38 minutes ago, Edwin Yip said:

@dummzeuch, you might know something about this? 😄

I'm not aware of any tool that allows this. And I don't know the mechanism behind it. Is there a menu entry that does the same? If yes, you could assign a keyboard shortcut to it.

43 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

I'm not aware of any tool that allows this. And I don't know the mechanism behind it. Is there a menu entry that does the same? If yes, you could assign a keyboard shortcut to it.

No, there is not a menu item.

6 hours ago, Edwin Yip said:

The question - how to make it even more convenient by allow us to press a shortcut and perform the above mode switch? Is there a built-in hotkey for that?

[Alt]+V E [Alt]+[Space] X :classic_dry:

1 hour ago, Anders Melander said:

[Alt]+V E [Alt]+[Space] X :classic_dry:

Sorry, not sure I understand you,  but [Alt]+V E opens the 'Templates' sidebar

[Alt]+[Space] X does complete the 'XSAVE_FORMAT’ symbol in the unit I tried.

21 minutes ago, Edwin Yip said:

Sorry, not sure I understand you

1. [Alt]+V = View menu
  2. E = New Edit window
  3. [Alt]+[Space] = Top level Windows menu
  4. X = Maximize

21 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:
  1. [Alt]+V = View menu
  2. E = New Edit window
  3. [Alt]+[Space] = Top level Windows menu
  4. X = Maximize

Thanks for the explanation Anders, but it's definitely not what I meant, what I mean is demonstrated in the attached animated gif below.

DoubleClickMaximizeDelphiIdeEditorArea.gif

23 minutes ago, Edwin Yip said:

Thanks for the explanation Anders, but it's definitely not what I meant

I know. Hence the :classic_dry:

@Edwin Yip I just tried on D10.3 and it didn't work. However Startup layout gave me the same expectation as yours.

Perhaps if someone can mention a macro plugin that supports mouse event will help you. 

off topic : I'm really nostalgic seeing your Gif ... I really miss the old IDE look 😥

1 hour ago, Mahdi Safsafi said:

@Edwin Yip I just tried on D10.3 and it didn't work. However Startup layout gave me the same expectation as yours.

Perhaps if someone can mention a macro plugin that supports mouse event will help you. 

off topic : I'm really nostalgic seeing your Gif ... I really miss the old IDE look 😥

I think the main factor is the background color of the editor, right? That nice green color really eases my eyes and I've not changed that since the first day I started enjoy using it.

@David Hoyle like the same color too, IIRC :)

1 minute ago, Edwin Yip said:

I think the main factor is the background color of the editor, right? That nice green color really eases my eyes and I've not changed that since the first day I started enjoy using it.

Yes and I will definitely give it a try under my second machine.

11 hours ago, Edwin Yip said:

I'm not sure since which version this feature was introduced

I know DDevExtensions has it with a double-click by adding a hidden registry key..

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FredS said:

I know DDevExtensions has it with a double-click by adding a hidden registry key..

image.png

Yes, I have DDevExtensions installed, and I don't really remember if it's not installed the current editor tab double click action will still work or not.

In a perfect world, I want to use the CNPack's editor double click action (close the file), and use a keyboard shortcut to invoke the editor zooming action. Yes, in a perfect world :)

1 hour ago, Edwin Yip said:

In a perfect world, I want to use the CNPack's editor double click action (close the file)

Can't you use middle click to close the file?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edwin Yip said:

I don't really remember

It won't work without DDevExtensions in a plain IDE, new feature I guess 🙂

Edited by FredS

6 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

Can't you use middle click to close the file?

That works! I didn't know middle click can close the file!

Thanks Anders!

1 minute ago, Edwin Yip said:

That works! I didn't know middle click can close the file!

Thanks Anders!

And middle click can close Chrome tabs, which I also didn't know before:classic_biggrin:

19 hours ago, Edwin Yip said:

@David Hoyle like the same color too, IIRC :)

Unfortunately Windows 10 does not honour the changed window colour after a hibernation and I had to set it by hacking the registry..