Sign in to follow this  
Darian Miller

August 2020 GM Blog post

We're gonna need more moderators :classic_huh:

And... perhaps some anger management classes :classic_wink:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

@pyscripter

Maybe you could clarify what that "Python" note really means ?

It sounds as if Python projects would be planned to be full citizen in the IDE one day ?

Now it should already be possible to support "Python scripts" in the editor of the IDE, with an LSP support.

Edited by Rollo62

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

We're gonna need more moderators :classic_huh:

Not really... official forums were already dead. They basically died when NNTP was dropped.

• Like 4

Really looking forward to some additions via GetIt.

However, I don't quite understand their "Desktop UX Summit" announcement. What is it, some kind of webinar? 

1 hour ago, Der schöne Günther said:

However, I don't quite understand their "Desktop UX Summit" announcement. What is it, some kind of webinar? 

Yes, it looks like some sort of CodeRage like online event. Despite more information I did register and got by email

• a payment receipt over $0.00
  • a confirmation "You're in!"
  • a schedule listing three sessions

The whole thing heavily lacks information. You simply don't know what you do if you register. Only the fact that no one asked for my credit card made me continue.

Edited by Uwe Raabe

4 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I wonder how they will address the need for sub-forums that are not strictly Delphi...

stackoverflow

But SO is not a forum.  Questions that are ... unprecise ... get eradicated fast and hard.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Questions that are ... unprecise ... get eradicated fast and hard.

So... SO is better than a forum? :classic_smile:

Edited by Anders Melander

A forum is a place for reasoning and discussion.

SO, not so much.

What do you prefer?

I guess most people go to SO to get an answer, provided one exists, and if not - use a forum.

Edit: I gave up on SO for asking questions a long time ago.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

A forum is a place for reasoning and discussion.

SO, not so much.

What do you prefer?

I guess most people go to SO to get an answer, provided one exists, and if not - use a forum.

Edit: I gave up on SO for asking questions a long time ago.

If you want to discuss then forum is the right place, if you have specific question then SO is the right place to go.

I would not say it is about preferences, but what you need at particular moment. 

Besides Delphi I am using other tools for development, most notably Android Studio and Xcode. I never needed forums to solve my problems... I could find all the answers on SO and official documentation. 

Hanging out with other developers and discussing all kinds of things... well, Delphi forums and communities were more than enough for me.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

Am I the one wondering WTH Bold is?

Bold is Old.

Not sure if this matches the newest trends in ORM, we'll see.

7 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

I never needed forums to solve my problems... I could find all the answers on SO and official documentation. 

If you are not in the first wagon then yes, others ask for you. :classic_laugh:

I just setup a SSH and Git as server on Windows using OpenSSH that comes with Windows 10 but this came only two or three years ago and information is not yet well polished. Git as a server on Windows is also not so frequently used.

It was enough the information I found, I did not need to ask for help, but it was harder than I thought. Now I think that doing the same thing on Linux is easier because almost all info is for Linux.

Installing Subversion server on Windows was a piece of cake some years ago.

14 hours ago, Rollo62 said:

Maybe you could clarify what that "Python" note really means ?

It refers to the intention to promote Python4Delphi as a means of bringing Python and Delphi closer together:

Python for Delphi (P4D) is a set of free components that wrap up the Python dll into Delphi and Lazarus (FPC). They let you easily execute Python scripts, create new Python modules and new Python types. You can create Python extensions as dlls and much more. P4D provides different levels of functionality:

• Low-level access to the python API
  • High-level bi-directional interaction with Python
  • Access to Python objects using Delphi custom variants (VarPyth.pas)
  • Wrapping of Delphi objects for use in python scripts using RTTI (WrapDelphi.pas)
  • Creating python extension modules with Delphi classes and functions

P4D makes it very easy to use python as a scripting language for Delphi applications. It comes with an extensive range of demos and tutorials.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Cristian Peța said:

If you are not in the first wagon then yes, others ask for you. :classic_laugh:

I never said I didn't ask any questions. Sometimes you need to ask, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you don't get the answer... or the answer is not exactly the one you expected (hoped for), but in such cases forums would not help more either.