David Schwartz

where can I get general git process questions answered?

I'm looking for some help with our particular usage model, not individual commands.

It seems it has been working fine with one guy and a part-time assistant when they could coordinate things, but with three people now working in parallel, it's got us all tied in knots.

I suspect most folks here are mainly using git alone. This is a small but growing virtual team of devs we've got and most of them are familiar with TFS. Git has them scratching their heads. And our production schedule / model is not what something like gitflow was designed for.

I'm wondering if anybody here knows of any public discussion groups (of whatever kind) that focus on this kind of topic?

Edited by David Schwartz

I've had very poor luck getting general questions like this answered on SO. They usually get downvoted and then locked.

I'm thinking more like git-specific forums that help folks understand git better. It's an open-source project; aside from discussion boards about specific tools, all I can think of is the tool vendors. 

This is a forum about Delphi. It's not run by the vendor, but by people who are engaged with this product.

Are there any similar forums on git?

GitHub and GitLab has forums, but I don't know of any "independent" git forums, as most people probably use one of the forementioned git services.

Very likely that everyone will tell you to RTFM first (true gitters are severe unixoids that don't like to mess with noobs). There are tons of manuals everywhere.

Probably you could try generic IT discussion boards for non-concrete subjects. Maybe Reddit (haven't used it myself though)

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal

14 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

Stackoverflow.

Not really. This is mostly opinion based question unless there is exact, very narrow problem you need to solve.

15 hours ago, David Schwartz said:

I'm wondering if anybody here knows of any public discussion groups (of whatever kind) that focus on this kind of topic?

I don't know any particular forums. 

But, from experience, Git workflow can also be quite dependent on the tool set and existing code base. For instance, some types of files can create huge merge conflicts. So applying workflow that works in one tool set may hit you on the head in another. For instance, Xcode storyboards are nightmare to merge (you can even create unsolvable conflicts as single developer) while handling Android Studio xml UI files is almost trivial.

So discussing here is as good place as any other, because you are interested in managing more abstract workflow and when you have that figured out, finding correct Git commands is not as hard.

Edited by Dalija Prasnikar

2 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Not really. This is mostly opinion based question unless there is exact, very narrow problem you need to solve.

Maybe. Since the OP hasn't really stated what his problem is I can't tell for sure. It sounds like he's asking about adapting Git to his workflow or vice versa, which I think is a topic suitable for SO.  It depends on how you phrase your question.

Regardless there's a good chance he would be told to ask a proper question if he tried SO - or maybe just downvoted but that's also kinda an answer.

Sounds more like current git workflow is done wrong when there is a struggle with 3 people trying to use it - because git was exactly invented for a distributed team (linux kernel).

There are several models out there that have pros and cons - the famous one from over 10 years ago (which I saw had a note added earlier this year): https://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

This one refers to another one: https://guides.github.com/introduction/flow/

And since gitlab is a competitor to github they also have their model: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/topics/gitlab_flow.html

Read up on those - try to understand - identify which one fits your situation best and then come back asking some specific questions

• Like 2

Ok, well, I posted the issue in a separate thread if anybody wants to look at it. It's a "real world" scenario, not something over-simplified as a class exercise. Maybe I provided too much info, but I tend to try explaining all relevant aspects rather than just one piece and wait for people to ask about other sides of the issue.

On 9/2/2020 at 4:01 AM, Stefan Glienke said:

Sounds more like current git workflow is done wrong when there is a struggle with 3 people trying to use it - because git was exactly invented for a distributed team (linux kernel).

Yes, that's our thinking exactly. Which is why I'm looking for some input from others about this. I'm not very fluent with git myself; mostly it confuses me.