Darian Miller

10.4.1 Released today

Marco's announcement on the new blogs site: 

https://blogs.embarcadero.com/rad-studio-10-4-1-has-been-released/

Updated my wiki page with info on 10.4.1: https://github.com/ideasawakened/DelphiKB/wiki/D27.SYDNEY.10.4.1.0

RAD Studio 10.4.1 has a strong focus on quality improvements. Key quality focus areas include:

• IDE
  • Delphi Code Insight (LSP)
  • Parallel Library
  • SOAP & XML
  • C++ Toolchain
  • FireMonkey
  • VCL
  • Delphi Compiler
  • iOS Deployment

New Features

• Packages can now have an automatic version suffix (instead of manually updating and specifying the right version suffix with each new release)
  • New reader-write lock implementation via the new TLightweightMREW record
    • Faster and more lightweight than the TMultiReadExclusiveWriteSynchronizer (TMREW)
    • Works across all platforms (TMEW was a simple critical section on some)
  • Much improved support for multi-monitor desktop layouts and 4k monitors
  • The floating form designer has been removed
  • The Broadcast to devices option is now off by default
  • Platform Support Deployment to Windows Server 2019 now supported
  • The LSP based Code Insight much improved from its initial 10.4 release
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just for completeness:

Customers on Update Subscription can download and install RAD Studio 10.4.1 today from

https://my.embarcadero.com

Release Notes:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/10.4_Sydney_-_Release_1

List of fixed Bugs:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/New_features_and_customer_reported_issues_fixed_in_RAD_Studio_10.4.1

As a side-note:

If you use the offline installer (ISO-image), RAD Studio will not be able to access the GetIt Package Manager until you manually switch to "online mode". To do this, you have to use the GetItCmd.exe tool: GetItCmd.exe -c=useonline

Please be so kind and add a couple of words about a link to QP. Is that a fix that went in and makes you the happiest person on earth, is that a fix that did not went in or is that a new bug-report for 10.4.1 ?

Full install from scratch or the promised upgrade path on top of 10.4 ?
Any idea?

Updated via the Web installer with only one hiccup - It couldn't find the Patch 2 stuff to presumably delete it.  It flagged it twice then opened Windows Explorer at the apparent directory, I just closed Explorer, and the install continued successfully to the complete install.

The only comparability issue I have found so far is with CnPack/Wizards 1.2.0.1010, and that is an annoyance, not a deal breaker.

Just updated from 10.4 with Patch 1,2,3 applied. (WebInstall).
No problems so far

For C++ users its a real shame there is yet still no fix for Code Completion not working now for 3-4 years.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, bdw_nz20 said:

For C++ users its a real shame there is yet still no fix for Code Completion not working now for 3-4 years.

I guess anyone who hasn't jumped ship by now just doesn't care anymore. 😞

• Sad 1

Not so impressed:

Installation worked fine and was fast, but ...

• The Web-Installer installed to c:\program files (x86) even though my 10.4 installation was somewhere else.
  • When the IDE started with my custom layout (which is not a floating designer layout), I get an AV in rtl270.bpl. The same happens when I try to switch to that layout later.
  • Trying to load any existing project crashes the IDE

I'll do an uninstall and try again, this time trying to not miss the option for a custom installation path. I seem to remember from other installations that there was one.

Edit2: Uninstalling, deleting the Registry entries and also deleting the old installation directory fixed both crashes.

Edit3: Missed the option to select a custom installation path three times. It's here:

image.thumb.png.297ef29c3b908d757de03e2893b94268.png

Edited by dummzeuch

21 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

EDIT: Apparently the option to install to a custom path is gone. 😞

No, there was a button "Option" to select the custom path during the installation.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

EDIT: Apparently the option to install to a custom path is gone.

No. It's just very easy to miss. Bad installer UI.

23 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

The Web-Installer installed to c:\program files (x86) even though my 10.4 installation was somewhere else.

The 10.4.1 release notes stated that there would be an option in the 10.4 uninstaller to keep the settings, but I didn't see any.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anders Melander said:

The 10.4.1 release notes stated that there would be an option in the 10.4 uninstaller to keep the settings, but I didn't see any.

It's on the very first dialogue.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-03 um 11.51.29.png

• Like 2