Darian Miller

10.4.1 Released today

Tried a few times and variations, but installations fails with the following error on 2 different systems

330854453_RAD-StudioInstallationError.png.3462abc899ec0c358dbdde721039afd0.png

@mijn i get that too. cannot start the IDE after upgrading. Any solution. TIA!

Reverted the VM. Uninstalled all GetIt stuff before running the 10.4.1 installer. Looks better so far.

@Dany MarmurThanks for the feedback. Just started another try but removed some Paranassus stuff manually, still got an error but just "File not found ..." but no exception anymore.

Now I am waiting for the installation to finish.

Edit 1: Better, but still broken

Edit 2: Navigator is one source of problems, as along with its installation also TParnassusCoreEditor is installed but never removed, neither if deinstalled

from GetIt nor from the 10.4.1 update GetIt deinstalltion routine. (FMXLinux is also not cleanly uninstalled)

Next try: Removed manually all Parnassus* entries from regestry, installation went through but all Desktop settings cause exceptions.

Edit 3: Another try with everything removed, which could influence the update, still fails with exceptions and all desktop setups lost

Edited by mijn

Final results:

1. Navigator/Bookmarks each installs TParnassusCoreEditor which is not de-installed by any routine and has to be manually removed plus all associated registry entries

2. FMXLinux is not cleanly removed, thows an error

3. Individual Desktop settings are causing problems and throw exceptions. Only removing the "* Layout.dst" files in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Embarcadero\BDS\21.0 helped.

4.  Finally all settings for Win64 platform are gone 

IMHO such possible errors should have been detected by Q&A before a release and not by paying customers.

Edited by mijn
  • Like 3

On 9/2/2020 at 8:09 PM, ConstantGardener said:

TSpeedButton dont show the correct font anymore. You can change it to any font/Size and so on, but the font stay's the same.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:03 PM, richardcarn1 said:

Speedbuttons (VCL) are using the Tahoma font. ParentFont=True and Tahoma isn't the parent font.

I faced this today and the fix is fairly simple. I recompiled VCL.Buttons.pas and now all font styling is working as expected.

DIY:

1, Open up vcl.buttons.pas, after line 1715 insert:

LCanvas.Font := Canvas.Font;

2, Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\...\lib\win32\debug, release, win64\debug, release and delete vcl.buttons.dcu

3, Fire up Delphi, create a new VCL application and drop a button on the form. Add Win64 platform, then build the empty application in Win32/Win64 Release/Debug.

4, Go to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\Projects and copy the vcl.buttons.dcu from Win32/Win64 Release/Debug to your Delphi installations "lib" folder.

Keep in mind that this is a modification of the local installation's VCL so it is machine dependent. You have to do this on every developer machine / build server you have.
I have the modified source and the built DCUs but I don't know if I'm allowed to attach those here; so to keep it safe and simple, just follow these steps.

Let's hope that this will get patched in the lifetime of 10.4.1. I doubt I can convince my boss to upgrade everything one more time.

I've created hacker style fix for the TSpeedButton font issue :classic_cool:

SpeedButtonFontFix.pas

(No need to change or replace any of standard source files. Just add the unit to your project and run)

Same fix as design-time package. Fixes the font at design-time:

pSpeedButtonFontFix.zip

(open in IDE, right click the project file, choose "install" from context menu)

Edited by balabuev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1