Sign in to follow this  
bdw_nz20

CPP or C++ Category

Is there already a CPP main topic / category that questions can be asked on ?

Or would it be a good idea to add a main fourm topic for that ?

Edited by bdw_nz20
  • Like 1

I'm pretty much with @Stefan Glienke this is a Delphi forum. C++ is sometimes mentioned here, but I believe we should not muddy the waters here, plus C++ users might not be satisfied with a mere sub forum. But in the end, this is up to @Daniel

Well, technically I use RAD Studio - that has the C++ bit - but that is sort of a remnant from when the .NET stuff looked like it was going somewhere.

Not sure if it is possible to downgrade from RAD Studio Enterprise to Delphi Enterprise.

I never use the C++ bit even though I always install it for good measure.

Point being: There is a relationship that goes heavily from C++Builder to Delphi, but which is very weak the other way around.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Why should a Delphi forum have a C++ area?

Because Delphi has a forgotten brother ? :classic_blink:

I would like to see more C++ here too.

Its a small world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rollo62 said:

Because Delphi has a forgotten brother ? :classic_blink:

I would like to see more C++ here too.

Its a small world.

Ok can we then also have a C# and Typescript area because those would be the real half brothers of Delphi (same father ya know)

3 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Ok can we then also have a C# and Typescript area because those would be the real half brothers of Delphi (same father ya know)

I don't mind. Lets add JS and Python too.

There's is much to learn when looking from another perspective.

But seriously:

Delphi and C++ is RadStudio for me = Ying and Yang.

Whats so wrong about this ?

I'm NOT looking deeper into C++ yet, because there is so little support and attention in the web.

That might change.

Edited by Rollo62
  • Like 2

Well, my personal experience is that languages do not mix very well in a community called "Delphi-PRAXiS". We do have an C#-Section in the German counterpart of this forum. Well ... last post is from end of January (luckily January of this year).

I understand that C++ is part of RADStudio and a little closer to Delphi than Typescript or other languages but the goal was to be (at least reasonable) good in one thing and this is being a Delphi-related community.

On the other hand - if there is a significant demand from the members of this community to talk about C++, we should smash our ideas together to find a pleasant solution.

If you think that we should think into that direction, please let uns now here in this thread.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

If you think that we should think into that direction, please let uns now here in this thread.

I think it is good to at least put one thread/Section or SubForum with one section for start, let it be about CBuilder, RAD or both, for few reason

1) Most of us have CBuilder, it came with RAD and some people are still using it.

2) Embarcadero is offering a discount for CBuilder users to move to Delphi, and those are people will need help, so better forward them here instead getting lost between Google and SO, having even few discussions here about CBuilder and C++ will hint Google where to land.

3) Embarcadero may be deprecating their forums, and they might delegate this task of support to you and this forum, so ask for raise or at least they should pay for the tea, coffee and cold drinks.

4 hours ago, Stefan Glienke said:

C# and Typescript area because those would be the real half brothers of Delphi

These are Snow (el bastardo) ! , i hope my French is still rock solid.

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I would welcome opening sub forum, especially if Embarcadero will not offer official forums, anymore.

If in a year you see is not making any traction, you close it. At least you tried, but if it offers good resource for developers and it is active, it would be shame to not offer it.

Set a threshold how many positive response you get here, 5, 10, 20... and then decide.

My vote is for a subforum.

• Like 1

My suggestion was in part due to EMB saying they will be dropping there forum and have suggested using Delphi-Praxis and SO.

However Delphi-Praxis in my view is a better forum than SO but as always different strokes for different folks.

There is a close relationship between C++ and Delphi for so many years to be honest I didnt think it would be a huge deal but maybe it could also be a sub-forum of different languages that also interface with Delphi (Stefan seems on board with that...hee).

If no one uses it then just remove it down the track.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kas Ob. said:

1) Most of us have CBuilder, it came with RAD and some people are still using it. 

I would add still some more reasons:

4) @David Millington is working so hard to find ways in better integrating and interacting C++Builder with the Delphi eco-system.
    We all should honour his effords to flatten the ways to C++ by opening a sub-forum here too.

5) The Delphi ecosystem might gain from C++ in many cases too, like compiling & binding C++ libraries and make it available in Delphi.

E.g. where speed or other concepts are an issue, Delphi might be UI and C++Builder might provide the core logic.

6) Divide and conquer 🙂                   Together we might be stronger than alone.

Edit: Some more ...

7) Component suppliers face often the issue to make their components available to Delphi AND C++Builder

8.) Maybe C++ developers see how cool Delphi is, and some might change from C++ to Delphi 😎

Edited by Rollo62
  • Like 3

+1 for adding the CB-related forum IF there will be someone with knowledge. Major part of 'Delphi' is IDE+RTL+VCL which are common with CB. Moreover, as CB has been a poor brother of Delphi for long time, many things fluent with Delphi still raise issues with CB.

58 minutes ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

+1 for adding the CB-related forum IF there will be someone with knowledge. Major part of 'Delphi' is IDE+RTL+VCL which are common with CB. Moreover, as CB has been a poor brother of Delphi for long time, many things fluent with Delphi still raise issues with CB.

I don't expect to see many VC, GNU, QT related questions here anyway.

So all the C++Builder issues were discussed in this forum already, I see them here and then.

So it would not change much IMHO, only to have a dedicated place for C++Builder.

BTW: Can the users in this forum hide complete categories ?

If so, all the C++ haters could simply switch that category OFF.

That would even get less noise to them.

Edited by Rollo62
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 4:25 AM, Rollo62 said:

BTW: Can the users in this forum hide complete categories ? 

If so, all the C++ haters could simply switch that category OFF.

Good idea!