Davide Angeli

Grep search empty window with 10.4.1

Hi all,

I've just installed the 10.4.1 and now I'm experiencing something wrong with GExpert Grep Search (10.4 works fine). 

When I do a search the content of the grep search window is almost always empty. Sometimes it works but I don't understand the logic. 

I'm using 1.3.16.86 experimental version of GExperts and I've got two monitors, one Full HD to run the IDE and one Ultra HD to run/debug compiled applications.

Any idea? The grep search is irreplaceable for me, impossible to work without...

Thanks

Edited by Davide Angeli

Works fine for me in 10.4.1

What do you mean by "empty" in this context? Could you please post a screen shot?

What are you grep'ing for?

Have you maybe enabled or disabled the "use .map file" option in the new version?

Is that the released version 1.3.16 or did you compile it from sources?

I can confirm - I noticed this happening as well but could not see yet what exactly is causing it.

No fancy grep options though, just plain searching files of some directory or project group

The grep window goes blank, just a grey window with nothing on it.

Edited by Stefan Glienke

Empty means that I could se only the window frame (attached sample).

I'm grep'ing variable names, filed names, generic text strings. I'm searching on a group project containing a dozen of projects and I'm serching in "all files in project group"..

Do you mean "Parse map file" option for "use .map file"? It is unchecked

I'm using the released version 1.3.16.

empty grep window.png

12 minutes ago, Davide Angeli said:

Empty means that I could se only the window frame (attached sample).

I'm grep'ing variable names, filed names, generic text strings. I'm searching on a group project containing a dozen of projects and I'm serching in "all files in project group"..

Do you mean "Parse map file" option for "use .map file"? It is unchecked

I'm using the released version 1.3.16.

empty grep window.png

Yes I meant "Parse map file". But it doesn't matter as with "empty" you meant something totally different than I expected. Thanks for the screenshot.

Edited by dummzeuch

Amazing!  After installing a few packages in 10.4.1 (Synedit was one of them) Gexperts Grep Results now works!

Nice because Grep Search and Unit Clause Manager are my favorite Gexperts.

Edited by pyscripter
  • Thanks 1

That's odd, because GExperts only uses the standard runtime packages that come with the IDE. The other third party sources (e.g. SynEdit) are compiled into the DLL (one reason why GExperts cannot be a package based IDE plugin).

Edited by dummzeuch

I couldn't find a way to reproduce it but the problem is annoying.

Restarting IDE it seems working fine then after some searches the result windows became "empty" (apparently in a random way sometimes after first search and sometimes after several searches).

2 hours ago, David Hoyle said:

Does this functionality use any environment variable from the IDE?

Not that I am aware of.

7 hours ago, Dave Nottage said:

I'm getting the blank Grep window, too.

Are you using the new DLL for 10.4.1 ?

I had blank Grep windows as well until I compiled GExperts with 10.4.1 and replaced the dll. Now everything seems to work as expected.

1 hour ago, luebbe said:

I had blank Grep windows as well until I compiled GExperts with 10.4.1 and replaced the dll. Now everything seems to work as expected.

Then you just did not get the issue yet. I am always compiling GExperts myself and I have seen this glitch with 10.4.1. No steps to repro yet though

Still not able to reproduce.... This morning works always fine but now I have grep windows blank again so I run this tool https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/gui_prop_view.html and what I could see is that the grep result window is composed by 7 delphi components and all of them are "marked" as not visible when the form is blank. If I force with the GUIPropView application the TPanel component as visible (without exiting the IDE) the grep result returns as aspected. I don't know why all the components are not visible sometimes... maybe some wrong initialization with the new Delphi IDE 10.4.1

Edited by Davide Angeli
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dave Nottage said:

Yes

Note to self: double triple check where the DLL is being loaded from 😞

Edited by Dave Nottage

I have been seeing this happening occasionally for some time now in 10.3.3.  I am using a self compiled GExpertsRS103.dll version 1.3.14.80 from around 23 October 2019.

It just happened again now, and I have been able to replicate the problem by opening another Project Group when the Grep Results is displayed.

Steps...

• Perform Grep Search 
  • With Grep Search Results Displayed (floating), Select an Project Group from the Open command on the toolbar.  > The Grep Results screen disappears when the Project group opens.
  • Select Grep Search Results from the GExperts Menu or Toolbar button
  • >>>  The Blank Grep Results screen displays 

HTH

17 minutes ago, Trevor S said:

I have been seeing this happening occasionally for some time now in 10.3.3.  I am using a self compiled GExpertsRS103.dll version 1.3.14.80 from around 23 October 2019.

It just happened again now, and I have been able to replicate the problem by opening another Project Group when the Grep Results is displayed.

Steps...

• Perform Grep Search 
  • With Grep Search Results Displayed (floating), Select an Project Group from the Open command on the toolbar.  > The Grep Results screen disappears when the Project group opens.

HTH

Hm interesting. Is your Grep results window docked or undocked?

I just tried it (but not with a project group but a single project) and got a different effect: The background of the results window is black. Switching to a different tab in the history list fixes that. But then other strange effects happened: The history list all of a sudden displayed the match list rather than the history. Something seems to mess with the controls or the handles in that dialog.

(My bet is on the theming of the IDE.)

12 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

Hm interesting. Is your Grep results window docked or undocked?

My Grep Results dialog is undocked.

I tried the same scenario using Dark theme, Light theme and with themes disabled in the registry.  All resulting in the empty screen issue.

I also got the empty screen when opening single Projects (rather than project group).

If I dock the Grep Results, then open a Project, the Grep results displays correctly (so the floating dialog seems to be significant).

Docking the Grep Results screen causes some of the controls on the dialog to adopt the theme, with the painting of some controls partially applying the theme.  I'm not sure whether this is the same behavior you are seeing.   The partial theme remains after undocking.  Not surprising as GExperts was not implemented for themes.

10 hours ago, Trevor S said:

My Grep Results dialog is undocked.

I tried the same scenario using Dark theme, Light theme and with themes disabled in the registry.  All resulting in the empty screen issue.

I also got the empty screen when opening single Projects (rather than project group).

If I dock the Grep Results, then open a Project, the Grep results displays correctly (so the floating dialog seems to be significant).

Docking the Grep Results screen causes some of the controls on the dialog to adopt the theme, with the painting of some controls partially applying the theme.  I'm not sure whether this is the same behavior you are seeing.   The partial theme remains after undocking.  Not surprising as GExperts was not implemented for themes.

My grep result dialog is undocked too and I'm using only the dark theme.

Docking/Undocking the empty Grep Result solve the problem for me too.

I might have fixed this in the current sources. But since I have never seen this problem, I can't test it.

If it works, the fix was to set StyleElements to [] to the form and all components, so the form doesn't get partially themed. This looked ugly anyway and caused some drawing problems on top of that. If you think that's an eye sore, you are probably right, but I prefer the form to work over having it look "pretty".

12 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

I might have fixed this in the current sources. But since I have never seen this problem, I can't test it.

Thanks Thomas.  The screen looks much better when docked.  But, unfortunately, your changes have not resolved the issue with the blank screen.  

After playing around trying to replicate the problem, I discovered that the problem happens when the Desktop Layout is saved when the Grep Results form is not Visible.  When the Desktop layout is saved with the Grep Form is visible, then the blank screen no longer occurs.

Revised steps to replicate:

• Close Grep Results screen (if open)
  • Save the IDE Desktop,
  • Open Grep Results Window

.... After playing around further, saving and switching desktops as well as changing the default desktop, it now works fine when even with a desktop saved with closed results window.... So I wouldn't be surprised if these new replication steps still don't work for you.

Heureka, I finally managed to see this effect on my own computer, and even managed to reproduce it reliably (at least 3 times in a row):

Steps:

• undock the Grep Results window and save the desktop
  • do some Grep search  (may not be necessary)
  • Open a different project (the Grep Results window disappears)
  • Open the Grep Results Window
  • -> It's empty, just as described

When I dock and undock it, the content comes back. After that I can not reproduce it until I restart the IDE. Then the steps detailed above reproduce the effect.

No I idea yet, what causes this, but now I should be able to debug it.