Sign in to follow this  

Suggestion for Debug helper Expert

The Disassembler windows in Delphi IDE is so basic, with so much limitations making low assembly and memory access investigating so slow, also just recently i found out that Thread Contexts can be accessed using OTA, easily !

But just now it hit me, how easy to add a new window with FPU, MMX, XMM, YMM, ZMM registers, and how much that can help and save time, time wasted switching to external debuggers.

So the suggestion is this:

Simple windows that can be configured to automatically open when debugging, shows CPU registers, and can hide/show different group of CPU registers like general purposes registers, FPU/MMX registers...etc

This window can be extended later to have the ability to change/modify registers, also when this happen the ability to manipulate and use the debug registers Dr0-7 but this will need investigating to see the possibility of using hardware breakpoint and the Delphi debugger compatibility with such breakpoints.

One more thing: showing what register value had been changed between two breakpoints will be great, here i am pointing to mimicking how x64dbg behaviour ( https://x64dbg.com/ ), or OllyDbg .

Is such expert doable or useful ?

1 hour ago, Kas Ob. said:

Is such expert doable or useful ?

Not sure wether it is doable, we'll never know for sure until we try.

As for usefulness: I rarely use the CPU view, so for me it would be of very limited use.

For others, I don't know.

To sum it up: I have no plans to do this, because I have too much to do for my limited time already. But as always, I will accept patches if somebody wants to try. I will also grant write access to svn if somebody thinks he needs it.

So, if you want it: Do it. :-)

I failed in the past at many tries to make simple window to dock in the IDE, or even to show correctly, so if you or someone can spare sometime and implement the expert as simple window to pop and having the debugger notifier, then me or anyone else will continue and try to finish it, no need for the functionality or custom drawing that i can do, as long the thread context is provided by the debugger then i think it is doable.

Anyway, i was going to do it, but it will take sometime, there are many things i need to learn in the process.

I understood that you wanted to have an additional window that is shown when the CPU window is visible.

Another approach would be to extend the CPU window itself, similar to what GExperts does to the Search Path edit window. It could add a panel to the right of the window which contains additional controls that are filled by GExperts.

45 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Another approach would be to extend the CPU window itself

That did came to my mind, but will be challenging to fit those registers in small part in CPU window, but not exactly only to be shown when the CPU window is activated, it in theory should work when debugger had stopped on a break point to show the CPU registers state and may be the stack with some click to open hex dump window of requested address, same as CPU window, but all not that important as these functionality is working now, the only missing thing is FPU/MMX... registers.

Don't waste your time on this now, i will ask you to waste/spare some later when i have something working and useful.