John Kouraklis

10.3 Consumes 45% of my CPU

Is anyone getting something like that? I have disabled ErrorInsight and still get this behavious. Also, I have installed RFUnit but the experimental features are off

Are you using the new Skins/Themes in the IDE?

It's better when you disable it?

Edited by RonaldK

I don't have such an issue here with default settings and complex Vcl projects loaded.

Edited by pyscripter
clarification

It's amazing...I reinstalled Rio 3-4 times, cleaned registries, Windows and all that and when I open a project I press a key in the code and the CPU jumps to 60-70. After 2 mins, the IDE becomes responsive. It's impossible to work in that

I assume there are no third party packages installed at this time?

If you inspect the call stack of the IDE at these times with Process Explorer, what does it indicate is the source of the issue?

I've been using Rio for a week now and slowly adding third party (and my own) IDE plug-ins and third party components and have not experienced these issues.

Yes, that's the right application but you need to select BDS, right click and select Properties and then go to the threads tab, find the thread burning the CPU and double click for the call stack...

ProcExplorerBDS.PNG

Ok, this is what the stack shows when I type in a character in code panel:

image.png.48e1644c48b8bd913fa7d1b3eff520e5.png

In this phase, the IDE is not responding...

Doesn't look very helpful, does it?:classic_sad:

Installing windows debugging tools (part of the windows SDK) and setting the symbol server (D:\Symbols\ is the location to download the symbols, everything else could / should stay the same) may help...

image.png.f0d8b175e8acc713f0d3ec08153717aa.png

You'll then get better resolution in the call stack.

ProcessExplorer (Menu) -> Options -> Configure Symbols ...

I understand your frustration but without knowing your configuration its a little difficult.

What third party components / plug-ins do you have installed?

Does this happen with a specific form / unit in your project or does it happen with a sample application that comes with Delphi?

If you have plug-ins, does disabling them sort the problem?

40 minutes ago, John Kouraklis said:

i will try to load the symbols but I am annoyed...don't get why I need to debug the IDE...

Because, in its infinite wisdom, IDE decided you need to brush up your debugging skills 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

23 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Because, in its infinite wisdom, IDE decided you need to brush up your debugging skills 😎

Haha...so it is a skill development exercise; and I thought it was anger management drill:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 5

I hadn't touched 10.3 since my last post. 

I opened the IDE today and after a long period of non-responsiveness, the IDE started working correctly.

I used it for 1 hour and then restarted the IDE and I am again where I was before. So, no I haven't managed to solve it.

I, also, installed the Debug Tools for windows and configured the settings in Processor Explorer as @David Hoyle shows but the symbols do not resolve to function names. I've also checked the guides from Microsoft but I can't make it work either.....

But the symbols are being cached on my hard drive

Seems that 10.3 scared every app on my system :classic_blink:

Edited by John Kouraklis

I am quite confident that Stephanes problem is caused by installing Tokyo after Rio messing up some parts of the registry. 

11 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

I am quite confident that Stephanes problem is caused by installing Tokyo after Rio messing up some parts of the registry. 

I'm also pretty sure this caused the problem.

Are you maybe aware of an powershell or batch script that will helps me to register all these .net DLL correctly ?

@John KouraklisWhen you cleaned the machine of the existing installation of RAD Studio, did you manually clean the registry of the erroneous entries (I assume that you didn't re-install the OS)?