Sign in to follow this  
Der schöne Günther

Does C++ Builder have code completion?

It's been a few years since I last did something with C++ Builder.

I just freshly installed 10.4. I created a new project from scratch. It compiles on Win32 and Win64, but there is no code completion, [Ctrl]+[Space] does nothing at all.

I see that

C++Builder and Platforms Support - Embarcadero Blogs - Developer Tools - IDERA Community

states Embarcadero strives to provide a "fully functional code completion". Does that mean that there is at least a partly functional code completion? If yes, how can I enable it?

If you turn on the old compiler for the project it will work again.

Under 10.4.1 it works for the new compiler when you don't batch compile.

If your on subscription they now have Twin Compile GetIt plugin that with my testing works with code completion and super fast compile of big projects.

Amazing that they allow now that to be installed for Pro as well but need subscription to download that, well else buy it.

From 10.1.2 was the last edition Code Completion worked well, truly a poor effort by EMB on this.

• Thanks 1

Thank you.

Crazy I just missed the right version. With 10.4.1 instead of 10.4 it would have worked. That's a shame, as I don't have enough hard disk space for yet another RAD Studio VM.

34 minutes ago, David Millington said:

will be much better in 10.4.2 - lots of work going into it in this release

Good decision.

Nonworking LSP and all related stuff is the biggest time killer for me at the moment, I'm looking forward to a behaviour as smooth as VsCode.

Waiting for the day when Ctrl+Space, Ctrl+Enter, ErrorInside, debug variables, etc. works 100% reliable.

Been non-functioning for so many years even with the Nov 2020 roadmap you've lost so many users and confidence on this its crazy.

We have wasted thousands and not been able to use the product and loss of functionality has been huge as well.

I have 10.4.2 and are using the 32 bit clang compiler. 

I have zero (0!) code completion functionality. There is just nothing happening when trying to "complete" anything.

Creating an empty project, however, and using the clang32 compiler, seems to kind of work, although it takes a long time for anything to show, like more than 10 seconds.  Note; I do have a modern 8 core CPU and bunch of RAM.

In my larger project, there is zero code completion. It simply doesn't work.

Any tips on this ? I have been trying to migrate to clang for years, but it seems that each time that I am trying, I have to go back to bcc32 because the IDE is not usable.

I can support David's statement.
Code Completion works much better now in 10.4.2, not perfect but it is definitely usable.

I had similar problems in my larger projects like you, Totte, for years.
Would be very interesting to find out why it still doesn't work for you.

I use bcc64 - can this make a difference?

PS
After the last sentence I set "Target Platforms" to Win 32-bit (bcc32c) in my open project.

(I never compile for 32bit usually)
Then I tested Code Completion - nothing, no result after 1 or 2 minutes.
Also, changing the options did not change anything. Zero respond.

Then I switched back to 64-bit - Code Completion was broken there also.
Zero respond.

I tried everything to make it work again - nothing helped.
Panic. After a reboot and "I don't know what", Code Completion works under 64bit again - I won't try 32bit again.

Is this perhaps a problem with the chosen target platform after all?

Edited by oliwe

4 hours ago, oliwe said:

Then I tested Code Completion - nothing, no result after 1 or 2 minutes.
Also, changing the options did not change anything. Zero respond.

Then I switched back to 64-bit - Code Completion was broken there also.
Zero respond.

I tried everything to make it work again - nothing helped.
Panic. After a reboot and "I don't know what", Code Completion works under 64bit again - I won't try 32bit again.

Is this perhaps a problem with the chosen target platform after all?

Interesting observation. And it is also an important observation. Glad you 'got it working'! You are lucky!

Obviously, there is something buggy about it, and perhaps I am just "unlucky" that it does not work for me. Maybe it will work after a reboot Sunday morning at 9.45am? 
I will try out the 64bit compiler to see if that makes a difference.