Sign in to follow this  
Rollo62

Delphi coexisting with Node.js, NPM, WindowsBuildTools

Hi there,

I'm considering to install npm, node.js VsCode in my VmWare 11.5.6, Windows-10 guest, same where Delphi is installed.

Usually I try to keep my VM's clean, but I would like to install that because of its more convenient.

Now I see that it seems to require WindowsBuildTools, or a version manager or other package manager,
which are maybe conflicting with the Delphi Windows Platform SDK Tools or other parts.

That should not affect my builds for Windows, IOS and Android, via ms-make, c-make, etc.

I think the last time when I installed this on another VM, it was still a usuall EXE, not requiring additional build tools from MS.

This might have changed now, and I'm a little hesitating installing such core build tools from MS,
as a usual VS installation changes so much under the hood, that its not a normal PC afterwards.

There are so many options, I think Chocolatey was my lat time favorite, but thíngs are changing so rapidly
is this still a good choice ?

Does anybody has experience with installing those tools altogether, with least memory footprint and least issues ?

Should I install it together with Delphi, or better in a separate VM ?

I have everything installed on my main PC that you mentioned above ( except VsCode  ) and it work with no problems. I also have a lot of other tools ( php,composer,laravel,swoole,servers apache ngnix, android studio, + a lot of android vm's and more....)  and everything works fine .. I mean if u dont want to risk and u have time install it on separate VM

I never used Chocolate and i installed everything manually ..

Thats all that i can say from my experience, hope it helps 

• Like 1

You only need WindowsBuildTools  for building Node itself, not running apps with it.

So no problem, Node could live locally and almost portable and VSCode could be installed in really portable mode which is my favorite mode.

Thats what was proposed in some places, it seems to me that they want to prefer compilation over setup.

16 hours ago, Rollo62 said:

Thats what was proposed in some places, it seems to me that they want to prefer compilation over setup.

Umm what?? Compilation involves installation of ~1Gb of build stuff and ~3Gb of sources. I only tried it after years of using Node just to get rid of full ICU built-in that increases binary size by 15 Mb. I even not use Node setup but just a zip that I extract over existing installation and that's all.

One of things I like in Node is that it's very portable. You can just copy node.exe to a completely new OS and it will work.

Compilation involves installation of ~1Gb of build stuff and ~3Gb of sources.

Exactly, this I'm afraid of.

To install an ecosystem, like the Alexa ASK CLI, this notes very many references, like NPM, NODE, GIT, Python, etc. in place,
and seem to prefer to re-build everything from sources as the proposed setup.
I'm afraid that a portable version is not integrated that well, and causes other issues with the tools.

Maybe this problem arises from Windows, which has not the basic build-tools available, while other "...nix" based OS have them on-board in every standard installation.

I have to check further, what combination is probably best on Windows, with least impact.
Maybe I try some tests in a snapshot of my Delphi VM, and check whats changed and going on, before I confirm it.

1 hour ago, Rollo62 said:

To install an ecosystem, like the Alexa ASK CLI, this notes very many references, like NPM, NODE, GIT, Python, etc. in place,
and seem to prefer to re-build everything from sources as the proposed setup.

Well, you only asked for Delphi , Node and VSCode living together. No Alexa stuff was mentioned. If it really requires the whole mess you described, then I'm afraid all you've got to do is suffer.

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal

Yes, but Alexa ASK CLI seems using all this, and VsCode is part of that usually too.

I will try how far I get with the protable versions, but I have read some time ago that the portable stuff doesn't register everything,

as it should.

Npm is mainly interesting for loading everything, and I think there were some issues when loading other packages.