Christen Blom-Dahl

Outdated Delphi Roadmap

1 hour ago, Steve Maughan said:

One aspect I appreciate is some attention to the compiler's output. It seems 10.5 will finally get some floating point optimization!!

I also would be ecstatic if this was delivered effectively. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

I also would be ecstatic if this was delivered effectively. 

1. Lower your expectations (if you have any).
  2. Sign up for the beta.
  3. Please!

14 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:
  1. Lower your expectations (if you have any).
  2. Sign up for the beta.
  3. Please!

I can't sign up for the beta because I don't have a subscription. Does partaking in the beta have much impact? 

Just now, David Heffernan said:

Does partaking in the beta have much impact? 

I haven't participated since Pulsar (I think that ended up as XE2) so I don't know how it's done these days. Back then pretty much everything was already written in stone at the time the field tests started so you could really only contribute with bug reports.

In the beginning (up until around D9 (and please forget D8)) the field tests started much earlier (and ran longer) so there was a much better chance of influencing what ended up shipping.

Regardless, if they're aiming for improved FP performance it would make sense to get early feedback from those to whom it actually matters.

16 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

Regardless, if they're aiming for improved FP performance it would make sense to get early feedback from those to whom it actually matters.

I've spoken to Marco enough times about this. Perhaps they'll have the sense to invite me anyway. 

40 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

I can't sign up for the beta because I don't have a subscription. Does partaking in the beta have much impact? 

Yes. It can have huge impact.

If some feature is scheduled for improvement, that means it will be looked at, but the more work feature needs, the more chances is that some parts will not be done right or some accidental bugs might creep in. 

Also public API can change only at major releases. If some API gets designed in a wrong way, it must stay like that until the next major release. 

I personally don't use floating point much, so I don't know how broad are required changes to improve performance and whether this will be some compiler tweaking or changes involved require significant API changes, too. In any way, it is always hard to predict different use cases and most important pain points, so having feedback from people that are experts in the area and that know what they need is crucial.

Subscription is needed for regular users, but there are also exceptions for cases where people are invited because they can provide valuable feedback in certain areas.

• Like 3

On the new Roadmap:

"Delphi support for the latest iOS Simulator" is now shifted to the Research Areas. :classic_ohmy:

On 11/17/2020 at 10:20 PM, David Heffernan said:

Even if it would not results in any fixes in the final launch.

At least you could judge the impact of new versions on your own projects, and try to find workarounds early in time.

22 hours ago, RonaldK said:

On the new Roadmap:

"Delphi support for the latest iOS Simulator" is now shifted to the Research Areas. :classic_ohmy:

The issue with "Delphi support for the latest iOS Simulator" is that the iOS simulator technology is undergoing a complete change. In the past, on Intel Macs you had to build an Intel App the simulator could run. The new ARM Mac would require a different binary target -- so in effect a different compiler. Well, it might not require a new compiler, given the binary is the same that iOS runs... but I think you get the point. If we ere to build an Intel simulator (64 bit) in a little time that would be totally useless... So we rather skip it and jump on the ARM future sooner.

I know

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1