Jud

Problems with 10.4 IDE

The main things I work on are multi-threaded on the 64-bit platform.  When I first got Delphi 10.4, I had problems in the IDE:

1. Refactor/rename would not work - it would change only the one at the cursor and none of the others.

2. Find Declaration would not work.

3. Worst of all, after a break, I could not examine variables.  Putting the cursor over the variable didn't work.  Local variables aren't shown in their window.

I had to go back to 10.3.  When I got 10.4.1 (about 2 days after release), the problems were gone - until yesterday.  Now they are all back.  Also, before I think Ctrl-F7 would work to examine a variable, but now it doesn't work.  It says "E2003 undeclared identifier". (When debugging, I have {$O-} to make sure it doesn't optimize away any variables.)

One thing about my program is that I have a compiler directive to use or not use multi-threading.  (I can also set the number of threads from 1 to the number of virtual cores.)

I found that if I use the compiler directive to turn off the multi-threading, it doesn't have the problems.  If I turn multi-threading back on, the problems are back.

I haven't been able to find a solution.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

ADDED: I went back to an earlier project. and it didn't have the problems. Then I went back to the project with the problems, and it still has them.

ALSO: I since it is specific to the project, I deleted the DSK file.  Find Declaration works and examining global variables works, but not local variables.

Edited by Jud

Well the problem with local variables is only with subroutines called in the threads.  But just about all of the work is inside threads!

The problem with refactor/rename and Find Declaration went away but now they are back.  I found someone discussing this problem on a much earlier version, XE7 I think, and what they said to do doesn't apply here.  Does anyone have a solution?

Hello Jud,

I am encountering the same problem. Do you already have a workable solution ?

Kind regards, Daniel

No solution.  If I remember correctly, 10.3 didn't have the problem.  10.4 had the problem but then 10.4.1 fixed the problem.  But then there were two patches to 10.4.1 that still had the problem.  I got 10.4.2 about 3 days ago, and Find Declaration has been working for me.  But Refactor/Rename doesn't work (and is worse).  Before Refactor/Rename would change the one where you have the cursor, but no others.  Now it doesn't even change the one at the cursor.