Tommi Prami

Interesting sort implementation, does not fit into usual API tough

3 hours ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Lots of bogus and bias benchmarks

I compiled the library myself (with some modification to support MSVC) and I run the benchmark with my own tests ... Here is some facts

- Unlike what was advertised, quadsort never beated qsort for generic order(I repeated the tests many time).

- Stable/unstable test gave different/closest results.

- For the rest of tests ... quadsort wins.

- I didn't see any bug yet however the weird thing I saw : The author was validating the result using quadsort !!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mahdi Safsafi said:

- I didn't see any bug yet however the weird thing I saw : The author was validating the result using quadsort !!!

Wow...

Interesting.

BTW I use always Merge Sort and Tim Sort.

Edited by julkas
  • Like 1

I have an affection for Shell's sort - but it has a weakness as it does not preserve order for equal rows, which is easily worked around - but then again, it is not recursive and does not degrade on already sorted or partially sorted lists.

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I have an affection for Shell's sort - but it has a weakness as it does not preserve order for equal rows, which is easily worked around - but then again, it is not recursive and does not degrade on already sorted or partially sorted lists.

Timsort is stable, and performs well on partially ordered data. It's the default sort for Python and Java.

Edited by David Heffernan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stefan Glienke said:

check it out in the develop branch

I noticed a strange thing,

Click Downloads then see there is "Download repository  74.5MB" , i click it and got a zipped 4.6MB file, and uncompressed is around 15MB,

Is this a bug in BitBucket ?

@Kas Ob. Not strange at all (maybe a bit misleading UI I admit), what you download there is the source of a specific commit (the lastest master, which would not contain timsort btw, surprise) - repository size includes the entire history. If you want to not use git as intended then you need to switch to the branches tab and there select one of the download options.

Edited by Stefan Glienke