WestyOz

Delphi 10.3 | Android : registerIntentAction -> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException

It appears that when using Delphi 10.3 and targeting the latest Android API (26) the following call no longer works:  MainActivity.registerIntentAction(TJIntent.JavaClass.ACTION_VIEW);

The exception is raise 'java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException'.

This was required when facilitating the handling the opening of an associated file using an <intent-filter> within the AndroidManifest.template.xml.  The full code sequence is as follows:

// Register the type of intent action that we want to be able to receive.
      // Note: A corresponding <action> tag must also exist in the <intent-filter> section of AndroidManifest.template.xml.
      MainActivity.registerIntentAction(TJIntent.JavaClass.ACTION_VIEW);
      TMessageManager.DefaultManager.SubscribeToMessage(TMessageReceivedNotification, HandleActivityMessage);

I've had the same challenge when running the AndroidIntents project from the supplied Samples. 

Has anyone else encountered this and managed to solve for it?

I can't see how it could have ever worked. The code for registerIntentAction in FMXNativeActivity.java:

public void registerIntentAction(String action) {
        mRegisteredIntentActions.add(action);
    }

..and where it is initialized:

private List<String> mRegisteredIntentActions = Arrays.asList(NotificationInfo.ACTION_NOTIFICATION,
                                                                  NotificationPublisher.ACTION_GCM_NOTIFICATION);

Arrays.asList returns a fixed size list:

https://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Arrays.html#asList(T...)

i.e. it cannot be added to. Attempting to add anything will raise the error that you're seeing.

Thanks for the reply and insights Dave it is much appreciated - and indeed you are exactly right.  With your reference I went back to Delphi 10.2.3 and inspected FMXNativeActivity.java and note the declaration as:

private List<String> mRegisteredIntentActions;

and in the onCreate() it is updated as:

mRegisteredIntentActions = new ArrayList<String>();
	mRegisteredIntentActions.add(NotificationInfo.ACTION_NOTIFICATION);
	mRegisteredIntentActions.add(NotificationPublisher.ACTION_GCM_NOTIFICATION);

So there has been a step change between versions, which must have been for a reason?

Thanks Brian for the unofficial fix - I've applied this and it works.

Just a couple of things I had to tweak though.  In the .bat file I had to adjust as follows:

rem set SDK_PATH=%PUBLIC%\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\PlatformSDKs\android-sdk-windows
set SDK_PATH=%PUBLIC%\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\CatalogRepository\AndroidSDK-2525_20.0.32429.4364\

And in the FMXNativeActivity.java, I had to explicitly add the import of java.util.ArrayList (got an exception otherwise)

import java.util.ArrayList; 
	private List<String> mRegisteredIntentActions;
protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
        // Check device architecture
        DeviceArchitectureChecker.check();

// Debugger
        if (CLASSES_DEX_DEBUGGER_SUPPORT) {
            DebuggerUtils debuggerUtils = new DebuggerUtils(this);
            debuggerUtils.tryStartDebugger();
        }

virtualKeyboard = new VirtualKeyboard(this);

mRegisteredIntentActions = new ArrayList<String>();
		mRegisteredIntentActions.add(NotificationInfo.ACTION_NOTIFICATION);
		mRegisteredIntentActions.add(NotificationPublisher.ACTION_GCM_NOTIFICATION);

super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);      

I am no expert in this space - so not sure if this is the ideal approach but it seemed to work.

And in the FMXNativeActivity.java, I had to explicitly add the import of java.util.ArrayList (got an exception otherwise)

So using the fully qualified class name didn't work (mRegisteredIntentActions = new java.util.ArrayList<String>();)? That's odd. I'm pretty sure it did for me....

And by exception do you mean a runtime exception, or a compile-time error?

In the .bat file I had to adjust as follows

Ah, so that SDK path I assume is from an ESD install? My path came from an ISO install. Useful to know another possible default path - I'll add that into the text later, thanks!

In regards to the java error it was compile time error -> 'Cannot find symbol'.  Again, I'm no expert with java - so I just applied the first Dr Google suggestion and got a result.

Also it was the Web Install rather than the ISO.  First time I've gone this way on a Delphi install and the paths are different between versions (compared to 10.2 on my machine at least).

And again, thanks for taking the time to document and supply a fix for the Delphi community.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had a headache over this so to get a solid resolution whilst a patch is developed was gratefully received.

4 hours ago, WestyOz said:

Also it was the Web Install rather than the ISO.  First time I've gone this way on a Delphi install and the paths are different between versions (compared to 10.2 on my machine at least).

I am trying to fathom why the web install and ISO install apparently has different versions of .DCUs (or perhaps source). Check the last comment, here:

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-18836

They must be being packaged from different sources; the question is why on Earth are they?