david_navigator

Code Librarian

What do others do to keep track of their useful code snippits ?
I use Gexperts Code Librarian but I'm finding the inability to import and export folders and snippets a bit restrictive, plus I believe I can't open the same librarian file in two different IDE's at the same time.

Other than that, it does do everything I need. Are there alternatives ?

1. Refactor it into a generic unit.
  2. Save it in its own Git repository (or have all these utility units in a single repository).
  3. Reuse it as a Git submodule in the projects where I need it.

Git submodules are a bit of a hassle but it's better than just copying units into other projects and then have to manually update each one every time you fix a bug or make an enhancement.

• Like 1

I'm not really using it as a library of reusable code, more a reminder of how to do things e.g

I can never remember how to iterate through the nodes of an XML document - something I might need to code every couple of years, so I just want to be able to pull up an example bit of code to refresh my memory.

46 minutes ago, david_navigator said:

I'm not really using it as a library of reusable code, more a reminder of how to do things e.g

I can never remember how to iterate through the nodes of an XML document - something I might need to code every couple of years, so I just want to be able to pull up an example bit of code to refresh my memory.

That sounds more like use case for code templates. A bit more work to set up, but it would save a lot of typing later on.

• Like 1