Fabian1648

Prevent TEdit FMX being overwritten by the virtual keyboard with the floating mode?

Hi,

I discovered on my test smartphone (samsung) that I can change the display mode of the virtual keyboard: Put it in a "floating keyboard" mode. This solves the problem since you can move the keyboard so that it no longer covers the input field.

3 questions arise:

1. Does this possibility exist on all Android smartphones and/or on all versions of the Android OS?

2. Question 1 for iOS smartphones

3. Is it possible to force this "floating keypad" mode via programming?

Thank you for your feedback

Did you ever make progress with this question? I'm wondering what is the best way to ensure the active edit control or memo, whatever is visible to the user when keyboard pops up. I wasn't aware you could make the keyboard float, so making it always float sounds like a possible solution. I am only concerned with android at this point.

Hi,

The floating keyboard is only available on some Android device models.

To avoid any problem of accounting from one device to another, I no longer use virtual keyboards provided by Android. I have developed my own keyboards.

When the user clicks on the object to be edited, I call an input screen consisting of a display area and keyboard keys. Advantages of the approach: 100% compatible with any Android device and keys big enough to avoid taking a magnifying glass to write something.

Edited by Fabian1648

40 minutes ago, Fabian1648 said:

When the user clicks on the object to be edited, I call an input screen consisting of a display area and keyboard keys. Advantages of the approach: 100% compatible with any Android device and keys big enough to avoid taking a magnifying glass to write something.

But then you should support national keyboards, too? (ie. Czech keyboard has different layout than US keyboard, contains letters like "č" etc.) And what about users, which do prefer their Android virtual keyboard?

Choices must be made based on the target users:

1. Our apps are not intended for every country in the world. We have therefore 3 types of keyboards according to our targeted languages and geographical areas

2. The "virtual keyboard" solution is not available on all Android devices, so it is not interesting unless you limit your app to some specific models.

In the end, there is no magic solution. You have to make a choice according to the specific needs of your app.