david_navigator

Delphi 10.4 unusably slow.

Just upgraded to D10.4 but it's unusable. The editor has a 2 second delay & now 27 mins after loading a project, the IDE is still chugging along doing something.
Tried a Windows reboot. Also look at memory footprint compared to 10.1 for the same project.

image.thumb.png.97eee34f4c2d7e07a6c78c5c5cc7bd21.png

<Later>

Very weird, even with a simple "Hello World" app delphi is using 43% processor.
I'm guessing this is some badly behaved design time package. Is there anyway to diagnose, other than removing them one by one (very, very laborious) ?

image.thumb.png.e37ea54348a54c88fdbe0b926f1fae71.png

14 minutes ago, david_navigator said:

Is there anyway to diagnose, other than removing them one by one (very, very laborious) ?

Make a binary search: Remove all of them to see if the problem is related to these packages in the first place. Then install half of them and see if the problem comes back. Continue to divide the offending part until you found the culprit.

BTW, how many cores has your system?

First I would switch to D10.4.1!
With D10.4 I had a similar problem with the installed CnPack - older version

@Stano this is 10.4.1 with latest patches. I keep forgetting to call it 10.4.1 rather than just 10.4

@Uwe Raabe it's a Virtual machine, but it thinks that it's 2 processors of 1 core each. The real machine is i7 4 core.

Very weirdly. Atter two and a half hours it suddenly started working correctly. D10.1 had no issues, so I don't think it was Windows doing something. Currently seems to be OK - fingers crossed it continues that way. 

When the internet was dial-up, everything was slow!
Now, with fiber optic cables ... wow, but the internet is slow today, isn't it?

Will understand the human being!

OMG!!! :classic_rolleyes:

I am working in 10.4.1 on a huge project with static controls (DFM).

What i had to do to make it work;

Buy a gaming rig w/o graphics but maxxed, around €2000.

Switch to Hyper-V from VirtualBox.

Build times are now acceptable, i am however running into "stuff" constantly in the IDE and use VC a lot of the dfm's.

The number of cores available to the VM, i am uncertain if 2 is enough.

Edited by Guest

Building our software takes about 20 minutes now.

image.thumb.png.3f457ba1dc21c773b841430fbaa90130.png

Building the 1MLoc "workstation" app, takes 1:17 with Eurekalog linking on my laptop.
Just enough time to quickly glance at these forums 😛

4 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Building our software takes about 20 minutes now.

image.thumb.png.3f457ba1dc21c773b841430fbaa90130.png

Nice - what tool is that you use 😉

My experience is that the 10.4 Win32 command line compiler is a lot faster than earlier versions. I have a project (package manager ide plugin) that makes heavy use of generics (spring4d) and it went from 1min (XE2/3) down to 6 seconds in 10.4, although most of the gains happened in 10.1 Berlin (7sec). I can't comment on the 64bit compiler perf just yet, need to setup a test. 

dpmbuild.thumb.png.04648c3fb634d45098dab85885ec4f9e.png

Edited by Vincent Parrett
attachment

You know the tool 🙂 Continua + FinalBuilder, @Vincent Parrett.

Can't say that going from 10.3.3 to 10.4.1 made any significant improvement - that said - we also switched from a dedicated VM on a local cluster to a managed VM on Azure at the same time, so it is difficult to make a direct comparison.  Yes, the code is generics heavy, but the above time also includes unit testing, code signing and Sisulizer translation of two of the apps as well as deploying the files to the staging catalog (edit2: oh, and we use Eurekalog which takes forever to fixup and link).

Edit: the build time also goes up if the live branch is compiling at the same time as the trunk branch.

Will need to learn to say main instead of trunk soon - to stay with git terminology.
Finally making the move from SVN to git. Wish us luck.

3 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

You know the tool 🙂 Continua + FinalBuilder, @Vincent Parrett.

Nice (I knew that) 😉

Can't say that going from 10.3.3 to 10.4.1 made any significant improvement - that said - we also switched from a dedicated VM on a local cluster to a managed VM on Azure at the same time, so it is difficult to make a direct comparison.  Yes, the code is generics heavy, but the above time also includes unit testing, code signing and Sisulizer translation of two of the apps as well as deploying the files to the staging catalog (edit2: oh, and we use Eurekalog which takes forever to fixup and link).

Yeah too many variables in play there. My example above it was pretty much just the compile, with nothing else using much cpu on my desktop machine. Spring4D really makes the older versions of the compiler struggle. The biggest improvement was in 10.1

Edit: the build time also goes up if the live branch is compiling at the same time as the trunk branch.

In our experience that is usually I/O contention more than anything else (workspace init & source checkout takes longer). 

Are you using a single vm for the server and the agent? An easy way to improve build times would be to give the agent it's own machine.

You have probably seen this before but worth a read if you haven't  - https://www.finalbuilder.com/resources/blogs/continuous-integration-server-performance

• Thanks 1

I had not read that. Lots of useful info, so I will have chat with the Azure guy.

Azure being Azure, I don't know how much control we have of the separation of the VMs, except you pay quite a bit more if you want a dedicated instance.