walter.luyks

How create a website whit Delhpi

There are countless ways in which Delphi code may be involved in web development. If you want anybody to spend their time helping you I suggest that you spend more of your time thinking about your problem, and specifying in more detail what specifically you need help with.

• Like 2

"A website" can entail almost everything these days. Please specify.

If you want to do something "word-pressy" with delphi, IMHO, don't, use wordpress.

Personlly i use delphi to write REST servers. They have nothing to do with the "website" at all, besides derivering data. The GUI in the browser are better done using JS, TypeScript or some-such.

Also, there are a few alternatives to transpile ObjectPascal to JavaScript, is that what you are asking about? 

Edited by Guest

for fake-websites, you can use:

• uniGUI, Intraweb for example (to user-interface), but the hard work in "background"  will be the "motor" of a server-host, like Apache, IIS, and others currently! or RADServer, DataSnap for REST in Delphi.

I would humbly like to offer another alternative. By no means I want to imply it is any better than the other options of building a website with Delphi, but if you're willing to not use the RAD-side of Delphi, and its IDE, but want to use the Delphi language and its compiler, and combine HTML and server-side logic code in the same files much like (early!) PHP or Cold Fusion, I've created this solution to do just that: https://github.com/stijnsanders/xxm#xxm

What I wanted was a way to create a website by working on the code, press F5 in a browser to put it to work, but have the website itself run from a freshly compiled DLL, from a Delphi project. This same DLL would use a generic interface, so by moving it from your development machine to a online web-server, you could use the same DLL with Apache httpd, IIS, or SCGI.

It may take some work to get it going and set it up, and you don't have any support of a platform, but if you know what you're doing, that can be a good thing. Most other web-platforms I've witnessed all take some freedom away by the choices that have been made in their design, and you inevitably will hit these limitations later when you're trying to do something the platform wouldn't support.

If you're interested to see a fully developed web-application on xxm, have a look here: https://github.com/stijnsanders/tx#tx

(I once made "get started" tutorial, but should really update it, replace xxmLocal with xxmHttp and IE with Firefox or Chrome...)

Edited by stijnsanders
  • Like 1

I'm amazed that people are able to offer architectural and implementation suggestions for "How create a website". Your physic powers must be excellent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

I'm amazed that people are able to offer architectural and implementation suggestions for "How create a website". Your physic powers must be excellent.

Yes, those are really good Delphi guys ;)

It's their endeavor, but not Delphi's ever-increasing licensing fees, that drives the prosperity of the Delphi community ;)

• Like 2

I have learned in this life that the best way to learn is by example. For Delphi this is EXE + Prg so you can see how the system works.

1 hour ago, walter.luyks said:

I have learned in this life that the best way to learn is by example. For Delphi this is EXE + Prg so you can see how the system works.

We still have basically no idea what you are asking. 

3 hours ago, Edwin Yip said:

Yes, those are really good Delphi guys 😉

It's their endeavor, but not Delphi's ever-increasing licensing fees, that drives the prosperity of the Delphi community 😉

Excellent! I'm always pleased with people that see the positive side of things.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

Your physic powers must be excellent.

Except for mine, as i felt the need to ask for specifics. Good point.

Delving strategic suggestions on a non-detailed request can only be done by people with an invested interest in what is suggested.

I just coined that - no shit!

Ok, Please have a site with a few pages for text and pictures, a contact page and a menu structure. more is of course also possible.

7 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

We still have basically no idea what you are asking. 

Ok, Please have a site with a few pages for text and pictures, a contact page and a menu structure. more is of course also possible.

Use a HTTP(s) server component. Either put the files on the disk and set it as the root folder, or store them as resources; you can even generate them on-the-fly.

ICS for example has pretty good example projects to get you started.

10 hours ago, aehimself said:

ICS for example has pretty good example projects to get you started.

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, ICS has not only what is needed to publish static pages stored in HTML files (And JS, and CSS, and images, and anything) but also what is required to make dynamic pages based on HTML templates or based on pure Delphi code. Look at the example OverbyteIcsWebAppServer.dproj.

1 hour ago, FPiette said:

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, ICS has not only what is needed to publish static pages stored in HTML files (And JS, and CSS, and images, and anything) but also what is required to make dynamic pages based on HTML templates or based on pure Delphi code. Look at the example OverbyteIcsWebAppServer.dproj.

And you don't think that maybe, just maybe, Delphi isn't the best tool for this? 

7 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

And you don't think that maybe, just maybe, Delphi isn't the best tool for this? 

Best? Definitely no. Capable of, while being good enough? Absolutely.

My own compiled Delphi code will always consume less resources (and will be more trustworthy to me) than PHP, for example.

5 minutes ago, aehimself said:

Best? Definitely no. Capable of, while being good enough? Absolutely.

My own compiled Delphi code will always consume less resources (and will be more trustworthy to me) than PHP, for example.

What the OP is asking for doesn't seem to have any requirement for server side code.

Remember that we aren't talking about your requirements, we're talking about those of the OP. 

34 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

This has been developed to add HTTP/HTTPS to an application doing something totally different. The application control hardware in a blackbox and provide a remote user interface to configure/monitor/interact with the hardware. You probably know very well how a broadband modem/router works and is managed with a webbrowser.

Of course what can do the most can also do the less. The ICS HTTP application server has since then used for many other things. When you have a huge amount of Delphi code, it is an easy path to reuse that code and provide a web interface to it.

50 minutes ago, FPiette said:

When you have a huge amount of Delphi code, it is an easy path to reuse that code and provide a web interface to it.

That is beside the point of this topic. Remember what the OP has actually asked.