Silver Black

Updated Community Edition

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

That is a license breach.

That is my impression, too.

AFAIK, the CE is technically equivalent to the Professional with the same license limitations (apart from the CE ones of course). While it is even possible to target remote servers with FireDAC in the Professional Edition it is just not allowed license wise.

7 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

That is my impression, too.

AFAIK, the CE is technically equivalent to the Professional with the same license limitations (apart from the CE ones of course). While it is even possible to target remote servers with FireDAC in the Professional Edition it is just not allowed license wise.

... this is another history - dont aborded in this topic!  😂 :classic_cheerleader:

8 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

That is a license breach.

for sure! but... who am I to say what you or anyone else should do! (I did it for a private test and it worked as I thought - and, I never used the Community Edition).

... even bigger, is the "violation" of social and commercial respect that Embarcadero does with its customers who paid a horror on a RAD Studio license (FULL) and has a product full of bugs and in some cases in particular, UNUSABLE!

Describing how to circumvent license limitations, or pointing to information about the same, is not acceptable within these forums. Thread carefully. 

10 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Describing how to circumvent license limitations, or pointing to information about the same, is not acceptable within these forums. Thread carefully. 

do it as you want!

nothing was showed as "to do it"

Edited by Guest

On 12/15/2020 at 1:03 PM, dummzeuch said:

Even later, there were the Turbo Explorer Editions (Delphi 2006) which were also free.

Dup post

Edited by DanC

On 12/15/2020 at 1:03 PM, dummzeuch said:

Even later, there were the Turbo Explorer Editions (Delphi 2006) which were also free.

I guess I'm dumbfounded as to why developers want anything to be free, considering isn't their salaries paid based upon revenue from the products they create? I get it, it's cool to be able to download a free copy of vscode, and code in .NET and not pay a dime for it, meanwhile apps on the mobile app-store are considered expensive if you pay more than $1.99 for it.. You can't even buy a developer a candy bar for $1.99, so if not for money then what's the point? Devs on freelancer begging to take your job for a few bucks an hour, downloaded their tools for free, watched videos from udemy for 98% off, youtube tutorials.. Someone could have been paid a lot of money for almost everything out there that's free, I just feel like we're racing to the bottom. Any additional perspectives? I still think $2500+ is a lot, but man.

Edited by DanC
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 12:55 PM, Anders Melander said:

Remember how bad things were back when the idiots chased the enterprise market. Inprise? What a farce.

uh, i just threw up a little in my mouth, that nasty taste again.

sorry, former borland stock owner.

7 hours ago, DanC said:

I guess I'm dumbfounded as to why developers want anything to be free, considering isn't their salaries paid based upon revenue from the products they create? I get it, it's cool to be able to download a free copy of vscode, and code in .NET and not pay a dime for it, meanwhile apps on the mobile app-store are considered expensive if you pay more than $1.99 for it.. You can't even buy a developer a candy bar for $1.99, so if not for money then what's the point? Devs on freelancer begging to take your job for a few bucks an hour, downloaded their tools for free, watched videos from udemy for 98% off, youtube tutorials.. Someone could have been paid a lot of money for almost everything out there that's free, I just feel like we're racing to the bottom.

For my professional work, I don't mind paying for the tools (or rather my employer paying for them), as long as they provide value for that money. But for my hobby, I'm not prepared to pay > 1000 Euros for a development tool. I'd either use something that's free or stop programming in my free time. (btw: My salary isn't paid from the "products" I create but rather from the services my company provides with the help of my software.)

As for paying for smartphone apps: There are a few that I'd pay for, but most are not even worth "paying" for by looking at ads. I had about 20 Euros to spend on Google Play which otherwise would have been lost. I found nothing worth buying for that and the money is gone now.

In my experience, freelancers who offer to work for a few bucks an hour are usually not worth even those few bucks. When you then try to use their "product", you find that it doesn't solve the problem and creates new ones. Of course, there are probably exceptions to that rule, but I have yet to come across them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

there are probably exceptions to that rule, but I have yet to come across them.

They probably all vanished in an empty except-end block.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:
29 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

there are probably exceptions to that rule, but I have yet to come across them. 

They probably all vanished in an empty except-end block.

... which they introduced into the code.

7 hours ago, qubits said:

former borland stock owner.

Me too :classic_mellow: . Bought at 6, sold half at 12 and then got out as it passed 8 on the way down. It never recovered after that.

Although I did make a bit of money on it that was soured by the fact that they burned the company and its reputation to the ground.

6 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

For my professional work, I don't mind paying for the tools (or rather my employer paying for them), as long as they provide value for that money. But for my hobby, I'm not prepared to pay > 1000 Euros for a development tool. I'd either use something that's free or stop programming in my free time. (btw: My salary isn't paid from the "products" I create but rather from the services my company provides with the help of my software.)

As for paying for smartphone apps: There are a few that I'd pay for, but most are not even worth "paying" for by looking at ads. I had about 20 Euros to spend on Google Play which otherwise would have been lost. I found nothing worth buying for that and the money is gone now.

In my experience, freelancers who offer to work for a few bucks an hour are usually not worth even those few bucks. When you then try to use their "product", you find that it doesn't solve the problem and creates new ones. Of course, there are probably exceptions to that rule, but I have yet to come across them.

Well spoken! Thank you for the perspective.