Sign in to follow this  
Bill Meyer

Can't edit my post?

I noticed an error in a reply I made, and wanted to fix it, but Edit is not offered. Has something changed in the operations?

I see that I can edit in this post, so is editing enabled only on original posts? Not replies? Or only in a thread I create? I would think I should be able to edit anything I post....

Edited by Bill Meyer

6 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I know @Daniel tweaked something - but it was supposed to only affect the EMBT people's inability to edit their own posts?

I was prepared to consider that it was my ageing memory, but not being able to edit my own replies is illogical.

I agree - unless we are talking about old-ish replies?
Personally, I am ok with a freeze after so many (days?) policy.
Any correction after than can be done in a new comment?

Edit: There have been episodes where members have modified their posts/comments a long time after they were written.  Usually in the context of "leaving in anger".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Not very old. Eight days. I don't see the reason for a freeze, apart from preventing exercises of ill temper. But those can be accomplished in new posts, too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Any correction after than can be done in a new comment?

Edit: There have been episodes where members have modified their posts/comments a long time after they were written.  Usually in the context of "leaving in anger".

Some forums allow edit old posts and adding additional updates, some posts are relevant throughout the longer period of time and would be nice to just add an update when needed, instead of starting new thread. Of course when updating old post you add something like Update on xx/xx/xxxx: ... and you have 1 long post with useful info in one place.

• Like 1

AFAIK, editing posts and comments doesn't trigger a notifications for others - so if the intent is to make the update visible, adding a new comment is probably the best approach.  Those that have been active in the thread will then get notified. 

• Like 1

I often use code boxes and haven't had that happen to me.

I'm using Chrome.

Something I do see is that some old comment text I wrote earlier, sometimes shows up again in the reply editor.

@Lars Fosdal After adding ":" then enter i lose my enter for new line, and have to copy and paste one from IDE as workaround, can this be fixed ? sometimes lose the control of the cursor only with CTRL+arrow.

@Mahdi Safsafi, @Kas Ob., happens here a lot!

For me it works when i reload the page (chrome, yes).

Then my edit is "kept" and the navigation and editing works again.

I asked this long time ago, but still can't see the point why it is better to lock down the messages.  Own messages from editing. Most of the time, I at least, write message, and might come back to check it days later, if not super urgent question. and it is very annoying to see some typo or ununderstandable (is it a word) sentence. And then can't fix it. 

Most major Social media platforms do not disable editing , and this is only forum I've ever used which disables editing.

-Tee-

Edited by Tommi Prami
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 12:08 PM, Kas Ob. said:

@Lars Fosdal After adding ":" then enter i lose my enter for new line, and have to copy and paste one from IDE as workaround, can this be fixed ? sometimes lose the control of the cursor only with CTRL+arrow.

this occurr with me sometimes...  

As I dont speak very well (or bad) the English, then, I, normally, do many editions in my post -- Sometimes I use the Google, but, I want learn a little more only... you see?

Then, when using "<<CODE>>", I see that in "click insert" and my post (behind) is gone...  or be, as if I had selected all text and pictures, and, paste my new text ... you see?

Then, in this case, I click on "CANCEL" post and start again  :classic_biggrin:

When I write something lengthy, I sometimes do that in OneNote or Google Docs (Autosave FTW) before I paste it into the forum UI and do the final formatting touchups.

Web UIs can be so unforgiving.