PeterPanettone

GetIt Package Manager Item buttons only partially visible

In the GetIt Package Manager, the item buttons are only partially visible:

image.png.5ccdea36a6da33e25e045a4fc7f5931e.png

Is this by design? This is not practical.

Edited by PeterPanettone

Many users have a big screen and they NEED to work with a scale factor of e.g. 125% otherwise they would not be able to read any text in a word processor.

Shouldn't a professional software be able to adapt to different scaling factors?

Imagine Microsoft would tell their customers: "Microsoft Word is optimized for a scale factor of 100 %".

They would lose 75% of their customers.

Edited by PeterPanettone

2 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Shouldn't a professional software be able to adapt to different scaling factors?

Agreed! Problem is that reality sucks.

4 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Agreed! Problem is that reality sucks.

Problem can easily be solved by Embarcadero. Ergo: Embarcadero sucks.

Edited by PeterPanettone

15 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Problem can easily be solved by Embarcadero.

Then you can surely tell us the QP entry for this, can't you? In that case please make sure to describe in detail the system setup you are using, so they are able to reproduce that bug. As for me, I simply can't on my system.

As I said: it works on my system, so I assume it is heavily dependent on the current system configuration. If someone would collect a couple of cases where it works and where not and compare the configurations that may lead to the source code parts that are still buggy.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 8:03 AM, Uwe Raabe said:

As I said: it works on my system, so I assume it is heavily dependent on the current system configuration. If someone would collect a couple of cases where it works and where not and compare the configurations that may lead to the source code parts that are still buggy.

This is my configuration:

Main Monitor: Monitor 1: LG ULTRAWIDE(38UC99)(Display Port) (3840 x 1600 pixel) (87 x 37 cm)

Second monitor: Monitor 2: PHL BDM3270 (1440 x 2560 pixel) (71 x 40 cm)

image.png.61871729c4a5378c14fccbceb8a30ccd.png

image.png.7c5295a3aae2a2f46bad4114668cdf2f.png

On 12/8/2018 at 9:44 PM, PeterPanettone said:

In the GetIt Package Manager, the item buttons are only partially visible:

image.png.5ccdea36a6da33e25e045a4fc7f5931e.png

Is this by design? This is not practical.

This only happens if compatibility options are enabled for bds.exe: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-high-dpi-settings-classic-apps-windows-10-april-2018-update

But latest Windows 10 releases are able to switch these settings automatically.

Different HiDPI compatibility options have been in Windows since Vista. So you definitely should check them. Also Vista and 7 had so called "XP scaling" that have been enabled by default for 125% System scaling: https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/get-a-better-view-in-windows-7-by-adjusting-dpi-scaling/ When "XP scaling" is active, all apps scale themselves regardless of their manifest, like in Windows 10 with compatibility options enabled.

Edited by Микола Петрівський

5 hours ago, Микола Петрівський said:

Different HiDPI compatibility options have been in Windows since Vista. So you definitely should check them. Also Vista and 7 had so called "XP scaling" that have been enabled by default for 125% System scaling: https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/get-a-better-view-in-windows-7-by-adjusting-dpi-scaling/ When "XP scaling" is active, all apps scale themselves regardless of their manifest, like in Windows 10 with compatibility options enabled.

Thanks for the information, but the linked article doesn't contain anything I didn't already know. On the other side, it is obvious what Embarcaderro could do to fix the above issue in the GetIt Package Manager which IMO is simply simple programming negligence. I mean, for me there is no font size problem in the Delphi 10.3 IDE except the title bar controls. But cutting off interface elements like buttons isn't something which has been well thought-out and tested. Does Embarcadero test its IDE in different environments before releasing it? I would be happy to help as a beta tester.

Edited by PeterPanettone

On 12/8/2018 at 9:13 PM, Markus Kinzler said:

The ide is optimized for a scale factor of 100 %.

But everything else in the IDE is in place. (I.e. nothing else in the IDE is out of place). Only the GetIt Package Manager has these elements out of place. This means that that the GeitIt PackageManager has bugs.

2 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

number of bugs

It may be time to focus on the positive news, three new skins have been released since Rio.
Just waiting for all Development Managers to each write a blog about this exciting new feature 🙂

• Sad 1

It could be that Windows 10 gives better scaling results than the ancient Windows 7, since it is better at dealing with multiple displays and varying DPI.

3 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

It could be that Windows 10 gives better scaling results than the ancient Windows 7, since it is better at dealing with multiple displays and varying DPI.

So why it's only the GetIt Items list? The rest of the IDE is OK. This is clearly a STUPID bug in GetIt.

Edited by PeterPanettone

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

This is clearly a STUPID bug in GetIt.

Bugs are never stupid, they are not even clever either.

That makes me remember a variable declaration in UCSD Pascal:

stupid: boolean;      { student programmer id }

Uwe, I don't think that this is a smart comment.

The bug mentioned in the comment is stupid because it has been introduced by a programmer who could have done better.

I also don't think that writing personal insults is a good habit.

Edited by PeterPanettone

5 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Uwe, I don't think that this is a smart comment.

The bug mentioned in the comment is stupid because it has been introduced by a programmer who could have done better.

Scaling bugs are sometimes hard to track down because they can depend on hardware (number of monitors and their resolution), operating system (Do you test your programs on Windows 7, 8.1 and the various current versions of Windows 10?) and user settings.

I have been bitten by these several times and most of my programs only run on Windows XP, 7 and 8.1 (I develop on 8.1). Windows 10 was only recently added to the mix and has caused quite some headaches (The parent company switched to Windows 10 and nobody bothered to check whether our programs are compatible to Windows 10. In contrast they were worried if the measurement hardware's power consumption might overload the new notebook computers. That was never an issue. </rant>).

12 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

I also don't think that writing personal insults is a good habit.

My comment has been anything but a personal insult!

Bugs cannot be stupid! People can be stupid, so programmers can be stupid, but I would never rate any programmer stupid because of bugs resulting from some oversight, missing test case or incomplete specification. Especially if I don't even know that programmer.

But as I've said before: This bug occurs only in the GetIt window. So it seems reasonable to deduce that it is a bug located specifically in GetIt.

Edited by PeterPanettone

And BTW, assuming that a list item containing several elements would always have the same designed height at runtime would be questionable at least.