wadepm

adding graphics32 component

I see there are a couple of posts on adding the graphics32 component but they don't quite address my problem.  

I have done the following:

1. Downloaded the zipped file graphics32-master.zip from github.

2. unzipped to c:\program files\graphics-master.

3. added c:\program files\graphics32-master\source to the library path.

4. opened C:\Program Files\graphics32-master\Source\Packages\XE8\GR32.groupproj

5. right clicked on "GR32" and clicked "Build All"

image.thumb.png.9932cb6a46e36c2b4f9ab165c17c2b7e.png

6.   Got an error when it couldn't find vcl.  I assume this is vcl.dpl?

image.thumb.png.e7906adb5c62bbc941bceab867d85668.png

7.   Not sure where to go from here.  I have never one this before.  I am using Seattle.

I would appreciate any help you guys can provide.  Thanks! 

Edited by wadepm
remove unwanted graphic

https://github.com/graphics32/graphics32

Here XE8 was compiled with errors , using RAD 10.3.3 Arch.

• "ghost-chars" -- common problem with corrupted file or charset:
    • ccontains ===> it should be: contains   ---- then, just delete this word and type again and save the file
    • nd.  ====>  it should be:   End.  --- then, just delete this word and type againg and save the file
  • summary: can be a bad-formation of the file
    • how solve: just delete the "ghost-chars" or "whole word" and re-type it

image.thumb.png.c8fa19810a741ad97d148462d1cf275a.png

Edited by Guest

Try the attached project files. They go into a subdirectory Xx10.0 under source\packages. They compile for me, haven't tried to install them though.

Graphics32_Delphi10.0.7z

Yeah, great. I just submitted a pull request for theses files and got an email from Github that they will be disabling login with passwords by August 2021. They give several hints on what to do, but don't mention the svn bridge. I guess that's it then: No pull requests from me on Github any more. They got ignored most of the time anyway...

Edited by dummzeuch

Thanks gentlemen.  I found the problem - when I went to add graphics32 to the library path I noticed a couple of paths that were grayed out.  There is a note that says those are invalid paths so I deleted them.  DO NOT DO THAT!  They are not invalid...apparently.  When I put them back everything worked just fine.      

On 12/27/2020 at 12:12 PM, dummzeuch said:

Yeah, great. I just submitted a pull request for theses files and got an email from Github that they will be disabling login with passwords by August 2021. They give several hints on what to do, but don't mention the svn bridge. I guess that's it then: No pull requests from me on Github any more. They got ignored most of the time anyway... 

I've solved this issue recently for console git, seems generating a token (described in details in GH help) and using it instead of password is well enough.

On 12/27/2020 at 10:12 AM, dummzeuch said:

Yeah, great. I just submitted a pull request for theses files [...] I guess that's it then: No pull requests from me on Github any more. They got ignored most of the time anyway...

I've just merged it and as far as I can see that's your first PR to the graphics32 repository, so I guess you meant that you got ignored at some other repository?

It seems graphics32 is de facto without a project lead and I appear to be the only one of the old core team doing anything with it these days so there's not much progress or direction anymore. The fabled 2.0 release was planned almost 10 years ago but these days no one seems interested in making it happen and moving forward.

1 hour ago, Anders Melander said:

as far as I can see that's your first PR to the graphics32 repository, so I guess you meant that you got ignored at some other repository?

Yes, that was in other projects. For graphics32 there was only the one you saw. But I could probably also submit packages for other Delphi versions that currently don't exist.

1 hour ago, Anders Melander said:

these days no one seems interested in making it happen and moving forward.

Yeah, that has happened / is happening with many Delphi libraries. I was shocked to find that Indy has only one developer left. dxgettext is mostly dead too, I get the odd bug report or sometimes bug fix which I try to apply, but I'm not the project lead, I only happen to still have write access to the repository, and Lars seems to be no longer much interested.

1 hour ago, dummzeuch said:

But I could probably also submit packages for other Delphi versions that currently don't exist.

I wouldn't bother. It's easy enough for people to open and adjust one of the existing packages. What's lacking is documentation on how to do it.

Nobody has all the supported versions of Delphi installed anyway, so we don't really know if all the existing packages are valid. I just did a fast compare of them and I can see that they differ in what they contain and what compiler settings they use so we've already passed the point of maintainability.

3 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

Yeah, that has happened / is happening with many Delphi libraries.

As I see it, for graphics32, the killing blow was when the team stopped using the newsgroups for communication and moved everything to Github. It fragmented both the developers and the users. Without the newsgroups there is no community and no team. There's no place for the users to ask questions and no place for the team to air ideas or visions and get feedback. Any task that is too big or complex for a single individual is simply not done.

On top of that we have a lot of poorly documented code that was contributed by cowboys [*] which are apparently no longer interested in fixing their bugs. This doesn't make it any easier for the remaining devs to keep the project going.

*) Cowboy Developer: Rides into town, shooting right and left and then rides out of town leading a mess behind. Yeeeehaw!

The documentation, as far as I can tell, is almost nonexistent.  What I have been able to find is very spare.  Did anyone ever write a tutorial of some kind?  That would be helpful. 

2 hours ago, wadepm said:

The documentation, as far as I can tell, is almost nonexistent.  What I have been able to find is very spare.  Did anyone ever write a tutorial of some kind?  That would be helpful.

The documentation used to be pretty good but much of the newer stuff hasn't been documented (did I mention cowboys :classic_dry:) and many of the examples are more focused on showcasing how awesome graphics32 is instead of explaining how to get stuff done. I even think the current online help is somewhat broken in places.

Is there anything I can help with?

Hi,

My GR32_D103 package for Delphi 10.3.3 Win32/Win64 with missing units(compiles without errors like examples).
Add .../D103/Win32/Debug and .../D103/Win64/Debug to the 'Library path' respectively and copy GR32_Compiler.inc and GR32.inc to them.

GR32_D103.ZIP

On 12/29/2020 at 5:34 AM, Anders Melander said:

On top of that we have a lot of poorly documented code that was contributed by cowboys [*] which are apparently no longer interested in fixing their bugs.

Anders, I strongly disagree with your cowboys comment. There were and are only a very few Graphics32 contributors with write permissions to the library. And all of those contributors made significant contributions. None fit your profile of "Rides into town, shooting right and left and then rides out of town leading a mess behind". Yes, most of us have left, presumably for different reasons. As I've stated elsewhere, I finally left Graphics32 when I realised that it had reached the point that it needed to be completely rewritten, and even just trying to fix things (eg writing extensive documentation) was a waste of time.

Edited by angusj

2 hours ago, angusj said:

Anders, I strongly disagree with your cowboys comment. There were and are only a very few Graphics32 contributors with write permissions to the library. And all of those contributors made significant contributions.

Yes they did. And some made significant contributions with bugs that can not be fixed because no one understand the code, it's poorly documented (if at all) and it's using undocumented algorithms. Maybe that's acceptable in some projects but if I'm to maintain the code then it's not. It doesn't matter how brilliant the code is if it can't be maintained. Code like that is poison to a library.

3 hours ago, angusj said:

I finally left Graphics32 when I realised that it had reached the point that it needed to be completely rewritten, and even just trying to fix things (eg writing extensive documentation) was a waste of time.

There are many things that Graphics32 would benefit from but a rewrite isn't one of them. Of course if you dislike the architecture and the constraints of working within or incrementally evolving the existing framework then I can understand why you'd want to start from scratch, but by discarding over 20 years of experience and optimizations you're bound to repeat some of the mistakes - and make some new ones 🙂

As I see it Graphics32 and Image32 doesn't really target the same problem space.

• Like 1