RaelB

MMX Window is blank sometimes

Hi,

I'm using Delphi 10.3.2, and MMX 15.0.30.

Frequently when I switch to the MMX tab (it is docked together with the Structure and Object Inspector Tabs), it is blank. If I switch to another tab (i.e. Object Inspector), and then back to MMX, then it will appear normally.

image.thumb.png.8e1020d91532a00aa1440d9a012d9655.png

Yeah, I have seen that, too. My perception is, that it happens when you just ran the current project in the debugger.

On 12/30/2020 at 3:00 PM, Uwe Raabe said:

Yeah, I have seen that, too. My perception is, that it happens when you just ran the current project in the debugger.

That's an 'horrible' issue since it happens every time a file at cursor is opened  (Ctrl + Enter) in both Delphi 10.3.2 and 10.4.1 here too.

The MMX Explorer window disappears. If the MMX Explorer Window was docked before that empty tab somehow survives hidden and nothing shows up. What shows up is a message that an invisible window cannot be hidden (the usual well known dialog box) and right mouse click offers a context menu with (.... _ hide) shows up. Maybe all parts of the MMX Explorer window are hidden.

In that case undocking an dragging the MMX Explorer window away from a position inside the IDE to the outside makes the tab disappear and afterwards I can open the MMX-Explorer window again.

For me it works if the MMX Explorer window remains undocked (in practice right beside the IDE on the left side) and I can 'recall' the MMX Explorer window via a shortcut (Ctrl + Shift + Ä) in my case.  The drawback is that the panel with class hierarchy stays closed (slider to slider), if a file was opened in the IDE in the meanwhile and MMX Explorer had no opportunity to recognize it before (new in the 'buffer').

If the MMX Explorer window is docked and the Desktop/Layout saved the situation improves, but opening a file at cursor leads to an empty panel displayed where the class hierarchy should be found in the MMX Explorer windows (latest version). In general saving the position of the MMX Explorer window helped in the past and still does.

I fairly use MMX Explorer so that's not an issue for me. I can just say the problem described the line above does not happen if I 'recall' the window.

You cannot have both. Docked an undocked. The moment a file at cursor is opened the undocked window disappears first and show up docked as defined in the Layout/Desktop in use.

The 'issues' still persists no matter what version of MMX or Delphi after 10.3.2 I gave  a try.

I just had a look at the state of the MMX today. GUI looks great but I usually do make excessive use of Ctrl+Enter. That's why I usually make almost no use of the MMX Explorer. I didn't use many of the great features offered and if not in depth. I just used the MMX Explorer windows as an alternative to the structure pane/view, which does it's job too for such a limited purpose. What did improve definitely since you have taken over MMX Explorer, is the stability of the MMX Explorer if used undocked and from a first look it's also still stable (less error prone) in general, better said a lot more stable than in the past. Well done.

Just came across this posting and thought I let you know, if the one or the the other behavior turns out to be an unexpected one.

Fiinally I have to confess that I failed to comprehend the mysteries of the MMX Explorer in the very detail until today.

1 hour ago, MichaelT said:

Just came across this posting and thought I let you know, if the one or the the other behavior turns out to be an unexpected one.

Thanks, I will investigate your findings to track that down. The described behavior even bothers myself.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 10:11 PM, Uwe Raabe said:

Thanks, I will investigate your findings to track that down. The described behavior even bothers myself.

This behavior is not intended? Ok. Let me know if I can assist you.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:11 PM, Uwe Raabe said:

No need to investigate anymore. That happens, if GExperts is installed. Removed Gexperts. If I dock the Code Explorer everything seems to be fine. In the undocked case only the panel with the inheritance hierarchy stays collapsed, but that's just normal. Sorry for that and causing work. The last time I had Gexperts installed must have been about 12 years ago or longer and I just wanted to take a look.