RaelB

How to tell what code is locking a file resource within an application

Hi,

When trying to modify or overwrite an existing file, I get this error:

EFCreateError with message 'Cannot create file "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\....". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process'.

Similarly the file cannot be deleted with SysUtils.DeleteFile. It seems that the file is actually in use within the same application (since if I close the app and restart it the file can be deleted...)

Is there any way i.e. via code or perhaps an external tool, I can find out which piece of code is locking/holding the file? Similar to how when there is a memory leak, FastMM can give a report of which code block created the object.

Thanks

50 minutes ago, RaelB said:

Is there any way i.e. via code or perhaps an external tool, I can find out which piece of code is locking/holding the file?

Using SysInternals ProcessExplorer, you'll see all applications and services running. When selecting one, you can display the handles that are active, among which the files.

Using SysInternals ProcessMonitor, you can see in real time all the operation one or more application are doing with file/registry/process/network. You can set a filter to the file you are interested in to limit the size of display.

Both tools are free. SysInternals is actually Microsoft...

48 minutes ago, FPiette said:

Using SysInternals ProcessExplorer, you'll see all applications and services running. When selecting one, you can display the handles that are active, among which the files.

Using SysInternals ProcessMonitor, you can see in real time all the operation one or more application are doing with file/registry/process/network. You can set a filter to the file you are interested in to limit the size of display.

Both tools are free. SysInternals is actually Microsoft...

Question is actually about identifying which piece of code is responsible for the lock. Asker already knows which process has it.

Set a break point on the CreateFile (and maybe OpenFile) API function and set the break condition to match the name of the file somehow.

8 hours ago, RaelB said:

Is there any way i.e. via code or perhaps an external tool, I can find out which piece of code is locking/holding the file? Similar to how when there is a memory leak, FastMM can give a report of which code block created the object.

Use DDetours https://github.com/MahdiSafsafi/DDetours

Look at the demo which is hooking MessageBox API, study it then hook the following API's and you will have the culprit

CreateFile

CreateFileEx

The thing is you need CloseHandle to pair up each create with close, but CloseHandle might be tricky as it is used with many handle types, so by only tracking CreateFile, you can find the last one succeeded in opening/creating the file and didn't close its handle yet.

14 hours ago, Kas Ob. said:

study it then hook the following API's and you will have the culprit

CreateFile

CreateFileEx

Add the following API: LockFile, LockFileEx.

On 1/10/2021 at 3:51 AM, David Heffernan said:

Question is actually about identifying which piece of code is responsible for the lock. Asker already knows which process has it.

True.  However, when using Process Monitor, the user can see WHEN the file is being opened by his app in real-time.  Maybe he can match that up to a specific operation the app is performing at that time, and then he can track down the code behind that operation to see if it is leaking the file handle.

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kas Ob. said:

There is many ways to find it but the best and fastest way in this case is to ...

"Best" is a bit subjective.  What you describe could be the EASIEST way, but not necessarily the BEST or FASTEST way.  An alternative that doesn't involve spawning a separate process or using any file I/O would be to use NtQuerySytemInformation(SystemHandleInformation) instead to find open handles that belong to your process, and then resolve which files they refer to.  See Enumerating opened handles from a process.  Yes, it is more work to code for, but it may be much more efficient in the long run.

55 minutes ago, Remy Lebeau said:

"Best" is a bit subjective.

Right, i missed the word best tool, and what i want to say it is the best to see opened files and their access mode (read/write..) system wide.

Not many know about Handle so i was comparing it to other external tools.

(side note) Generally, if one doesn't even know when his app opens a file, he has really big problems.

First, all places in code that open and close file of interest should be located. Then you can set breakpoints to these places or add some logging. If code wasn't written by WinAPI fanatics, all file operations are performed via SysUtils.File* or old-school System.AssignFile/Reset/Write, so setting breakpoints to these functions will help.

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal

Thanks all for the suggestions. The DDetours library was really helpful in this situation (in combination with logging), and helped me locate the problem fairly easily.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:43 PM, Kas Ob. said:

The thing is you need CloseHandle to pair up each create with close, but CloseHandle might be tricky as it is used with many handle types, so by only tracking CreateFile, you can find the last one succeeded in opening/creating the file and didn't close its handle yet.

Yeah not that tricky. I just used a TStringList to keep track of opened files (i.e. Handles) and only logged calls to CloseHandle that had an entry in the stringlist (and then removed them..)