Mike Torrettinni

Customizing source editor

I used to put dots, commas at the end or ALT+255 characters, but it's annoying to do that, so knowing that non-italic comments are possible is really nice.

11 hours ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

@Kas Ob. and @Lars Fosdal I see you both make sure strings stand out, why is that?

It makes missing string quotes obvious, and it helps clarify text building expressions.

• Thanks 1

here, only use "Dark Theme" and its default colors and "I love" use "end lines with {} chars"  -- Right Margin 200 with "Break" until 160 column

• and "I love use CTRL+D" for my customized setup on "Delphi": Language, Formatter, Delphi options!

image.thumb.png.f8fba3eb36839175e993a6e1381b4be1.png

RAD Studio 10.3.3 Arch

my Formatter setup for you test if want, just open the file and change the "folder", like: "C:\Users\MyPC2020Win\...."

My_Formater_Customized.zip

Edited by Guest

On 1/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, Lars Fosdal said:

image.thumb.png.226e547ef89a2b494c8877fa0d02fb1d.png

SourceCode Pro - No italics

BG = Cream
Current line = light greenish
numbers = red 
comments = dark gray as I want the code to stand out and keep the comments low key - after all, they should only be necessary as a last effort read 😛

I've been using red colored numbers this week and I really like it! They stand out enough but not distracting.  😉

• Like 1

I would say, somewhat psychedelic, a screen with so many colors ... especially for someone who wears glasses, like you and me!
Hopefully the ophthalmologist would be grateful for the visits!

6 minutes ago, Stano said:

They don't all show up at once

sorry, from here, I see all in my screen!  :classic_biggrin: :classic_cheerleader:

Me too? I had in mind during the programming and in one place.

I've worked on black backgrounds it seems like forever, until I remembered reading a study about how dark grass green is psychologically best for human eyes. We like grass. I remember the underside of our ball caps were always dark green to help cut down on glare. So, I gave a dark green background a try, turning this and that different colours to make them pop out. I do so little work with assembler blocks and IF defined blocks that I was able to repurpose Pinkish Red for comments, losing the italics in the process. Non-Bold white for the majority of the code, bold white for keywords, etc. I found that I preferred it to the black background. 

The one thing I don't think I could go for at all, is a lightish background that isn't pale, pale grey or pale, pale parchment yellow. White just feels like a flashlight to the eyeballs at this stage in my life. Others are certainly allowed to differ.

But give that Grass Green background a try and see if your eyestrain isn't soothed just a tad bit more than normal. 

And for fonts, Consolas does it for me. 

Green literally heals the eyes. Please take a screenshot and drop here. I don't know how to get to the Grass Green background.
Well thank you.
I saw the best color rendering in the black and white era. They were French monitors. The base was brown-yellow and the font yellow. It was a pleasure to look at them.

Edited by Stano

6 hours ago, Gary Mugford said:

I've worked on black backgrounds it seems like forever, until I remembered reading a study about how dark grass green is psychologically best for human eyes. We like grass. I remember the underside of our ball caps were always dark green to help cut down on glare. So, I gave a dark green background a try, turning this and that different colours to make them pop out. I do so little work with assembler blocks and IF defined blocks that I was able to repurpose Pinkish Red for comments, losing the italics in the process. Non-Bold white for the majority of the code, bold white for keywords, etc. I found that I preferred it to the black background. 

The one thing I don't think I could go for at all, is a lightish background that isn't pale, pale grey or pale, pale parchment yellow. White just feels like a flashlight to the eyeballs at this stage in my life. Others are certainly allowed to differ.

But give that Grass Green background a try and see if your eyestrain isn't soothed just a tad bit more than normal. 

And for fonts, Consolas does it for me. 

Wanna share a screenshot of your editor sample in grass green?

Yes. I can't get to that. It will help me decide whether to go for it. I don't see Gross Green anywhere.

I use the Delphi IDE Theme Editor to apply the base colour scheme, which was green-apache. Then I went about making the system greener as far as backgrounds, choosing in most cases to make the background a shade of green enough different that your eye could spot the difference while still maintaining the whole GREEN is good for the eyes sort of thing. I also made the default font 14pt because, as a senior citizen, BIGGER is better. As mentioned, Consolas is the choice of fonts. I like the ones and the slashed zeroes. Once you are finished playing with the editor, save your theme to a name of your choosing and then apply your master work. As mentioned, I like the background, but there are days where I go to a second theme that is darker green in the background with the slightly lighter background of this theme being swapped for it. Look at the enabled breakpoint line to get what I'm saying. 

Again, I understand that this is not everybody's cup of tea. Some will have a preference for bold and non-bold. Yes, some will actually want italics in the comments just for familiarity's sake. But RRuz's work providing a quick library of starting points, allowing you to build up a set of themes for specific work ... I can see having a theme for debugging. 

2021-01-18 03_07_19-Delphi IDE Theme Editor 1.94.6.66apachegreen.png

2021-01-18 03_44_50-Delphi IDE Theme Editor 1.94.6.66apachegreenGM.png

I forgot that I DID have to do some cleaning up IN Delphi. The comment block was that pinkish red ON A BLACK BACKGROUND. I THINK that was the only post-IDE Theme Editor change. The marked block was money green on navy blue. Yeah, those are the differences. Sorry about that. GM

Edited by Gary Mugford
Cleanup IN Delphi
  • Thanks 1

I used the Delphi IDE Theme Editor until they added a dark theme to Delphi. They allegedly implemented it in Delphi.
Well thank you

3 hours ago, Gary Mugford said:

I use the Delphi IDE Theme Editor to apply the base colour scheme, which was green-apache. Then I went about making the system greener as far as backgrounds, choosing in most cases to make the background a shade of green enough different that your eye could spot the difference while still maintaining the whole GREEN is good for the eyes sort of thing. I also made the default font 14pt because, as a senior citizen, BIGGER is better. As mentioned, Consolas is the choice of fonts. I like the ones and the slashed zeroes. Once you are finished playing with the editor, save your theme to a name of your choosing and then apply your master work. As mentioned, I like the background, but there are days where I go to a second theme that is darker green in the background with the slightly lighter background of this theme being swapped for it. Look at the enabled breakpoint line to get what I'm saying. 

Again, I understand that this is not everybody's cup of tea. Some will have a preference for bold and non-bold. Yes, some will actually want italics in the comments just for familiarity's sake. But RRuz's work providing a quick library of starting points, allowing you to build up a set of themes for specific work ... I can see having a theme for debugging. 

2021-01-18 03_07_19-Delphi IDE Theme Editor 1.94.6.66apachegreen.png

2021-01-18 03_44_50-Delphi IDE Theme Editor 1.94.6.66apachegreenGM.png

I forgot that I DID have to do some cleaning up IN Delphi. The comment block was that pinkish red ON A BLACK BACKGROUND. I THINK that was the only post-IDE Theme Editor change. The marked block was money green on navy blue. Yeah, those are the differences. Sorry about that. GM

I tried this green for a little bit, but not really liking it too much.

Money Green wasn't too bad, actually.

Going to try that a little bit.

Well - actually - it is a bit too "off" with the rest of the UI, when that is in light mode.

The rest of the user interface can also be customized. It's just more work. Background, font ...
I remembered trying it. It didn't suit me. The dark theme suits me perfectly. My eyes don't complain.

As I mentioned, not everybody has my taste in colour. My house is decorated in green and brown. This is a logical continuation. And yes, It DOES work better with a dark-themed IDE outside of the editor.  So I completely understand Lars. As for Mike and Stano and any others, maybe try a darker green. Really, it IS easier on your eyes. Limit the variation between the various sections ... the light green ones are areas I don't get too all that often being a basic stick in the mud procedural programmer. So, there is less striations in real time use for me. Again, depending on your complexity level necessitating more of the various coding sections, well complexity has a price. There MIGHT be a compromise hue of Green between mine and black, which is what you are going to default to with Dark Theme. 

I have NOT had to involve myself with Styles but it is rearing it's potentially pretty little head now that I've experienced a fellow who decided he wanted a YELLOW BACKGROUND as the Win 10 default. Not gold, not amber, not honey, not parchment, YELLOW. And he's asked if he could personalize his interface. Ahhhhhh, no, not right now. But maybe in a month I'll revisit it ... hoping a month is 14 days more than his career at that company. But if he sticks, then I'll be looking strongly at Almediadev. YELLOW!

• Haha 2

Here is another Delphi IDE color scheme  I used to use:

Editor2.thumb.PNG.3140cabbe4c3fbf2cc88a84d37ce026b.PNG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stano said:

He probably has corrupted color vision.

Honestly, I've NEVER heard of that particular impairment for THAT colour. We have had a fellow with Red-Green Blindness. Good guy, so I created a toolbar that would be toggled in as a replacement for the normal toolbar and was strictly words. Had to be two layers, but he didn't mind losing the grid rows. He could see what he was doing and that was a good thing. I'm not sure I can work in Yellow. But if he's going to stay, not much of a choice.

5 hours ago, c0d3r said:

Here is another Delphi IDE color scheme  I used to use:

Editor2.thumb.PNG.3140cabbe4c3fbf2cc88a84d37ce026b.PNG

I could use that. Orange and Brick Red are playmates for green out in the wild.