Ian Branch

SMS via my phone..

Hi Team,

I have been asked if it is possible to send an sms from their Delphi App on their PC via a phone attached to the PC?

Doesn't matter if it is Android or Apple, the Customer will supply the phone/phone account.

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations??

Regards & TIA,

Ian

Hi David,

Probably, but I haven't specifically looked into that route.

The Customer already has his own Phones/#s  and wants to put them to use.

Ian

Yes one of our apps sends/receives SMS.

Sometimes, when the phone USB port is plugged into the computer the phone installs a driver for the USB port and it appears as a MODEM.

Other times, e.g. some Samsung phones, you install the driver from Samsung.

And other times a cell modem is used.

After the phone/modem is plugged in you can see if it appears as a modem in the device manager.

Now that you have a modem you use AT commands to send/receive messages.

Not all phones/modems implement SMS send/receive the same. I have never seen a "standard".

You can find data on the AT commands on the web.

Lifted from How to Send Text From Computer (6 Working Ways) 2019 (techviral.net

//

1. In Email account use following for address
  2. Now in the field To you will write the mobile_number@carrieraddress according to your carrier addresses given below:
    -> AT&T: number@txt.att.net
    -> T-Mobile: number@tmomail.net
    -> Verizon: number@vtext.com
    -> Sprint: number@messaging.sprintpcs.com or number@pm.sprint.com
    -> Virgin Mobile: number@vmobl.com
    -> Tracfone: number@mmst5.tracfone.com
    -> Metro PCS: number@mymetropcs.com
    -> Boost Mobile: number@myboostmobile.com
    -> Cricket: number@sms.mycricket.com
    -> Nextel: number@messaging.nextel.com
    -> Alltel: number@message.alltel.com
    -> Ptel: number@ptel.com
    -> Suncom: number@tms.suncom.com
    -> Qwest: number@qwestmp.com
    -> U.S. Cellular: number@email.uscc.ne

//

Note the site has things not to click on but does mention hooking a phone into windows 10 session which I haven't tryed.  I know above works well with phonenu@vtext

6 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

The Customer already has his own Phones

If I were you, I think I'd probably want to know what type of phones these actually were. 

I can see the merit of this. The end-user would like to send SMS's from the phone's subscription. It will probably be a more personlized message compared to using an SMS service and not as prone to false positives (in the recievers head, i will not click that!!).

I have an SMS service for 2-phase auth, it was simple to write the API calls. Some services can probably change the "sender", i do not have my head in this atm and i do not know how it would look to the reciever.

However, the technical issues seems a bit messy considering all the different phones. Perhaps the platform (Windows, MacOS) has something for the users phone, if there's an API for "connect your phone" thingies?

Decades ago i had the same "conundrum" regarding e-mails. I wrote a routine to have Outlook create one mail per recipient. However, after several years had passed, the client realized that the audience of these messages did not care so they find it much simpler to paste the e-mail list from my system into outlook/any e-mail "to" field.

Edited by Guest
typos

AT modem commands is good old way to send. There's also option to send via ADB (Android only of course, Apple sucks here). I didn't found a way to read messages from PC so I configured a task scripter on phone to catch messages and write them to a file which is accessible from PC

3 hours ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

I didn't found a way to read messages from PC so I configured a task scripter on phone to catch messages and write them to a file which is accessible from PC

We only found one phone, Nokia C2-01 was the test phone, that did not support reading messages.  It might apply to all Nokia phones.

We have not had any customers with phones/modems unable to be used.

Set the message area AT+CPMS

Read all the messages AT+CMGL="ALL"

Delete all messages AT+CMGD=0,4'

19 minutes ago, Mark- said:

Set the message area AT+CPMS

Read all the messages AT+CMGL="ALL"

Delete all messages AT+CMGD=0,4'

Good point! Probably I had found it but it didn't fit my needs. In my case it was my personal smartphone with thousands of SMS's stored so "Read all" would likely die in agony 🙂

21 minutes ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

In my case it was my personal smartphone with thousands of SMS's stored so "Read all" would likely die in agony 🙂

Yeah we did lots of testing and used the "read all" because we have total control of the device, it is only used for our SMS access, but could have used other commands to read the messages. All our messages are text only and the connection is serial, the data flow rate is not so high as to be an issue.