pgraham9999

Strange new behavior TDBEdit

I have a db application, running for almost 20 years, regularly added-to as the need arises.  Several years ago I added a helper form to an address field, forcing some consistency in the data entry.  OnClick of the TDBEdit opens a new form with separate fields for parts of the address.  ln the last several days this helper form does not trigger.  But only on the development machine, Win 10-64 home, up to date (but no updates show for the last several weeks).  If I transport the compiled program to the production system, Win-7, everything works normally, as before.

I don't know where to begin looking.  I have started to cobble something to make it work, but that's not the right answer.

Any thoughts?

Phil

It's not a code change.  

the same executable, on a zip drive, behaves normally on a win 7 system, but is not "correct" on win 10 system with no win updates.

3 hours ago, pgraham9999 said:

the same executable, on a zip drive, behaves normally on a win 7 system, but is not "correct" on win 10 system with no win updates.

Does the executable stopped working on your own computer or on many Win10 computers?

You said a form doesn't show, it is the only flaw?

Are the form's position and size saved somewhere for the next run? If yes, maybe you added or removed a screen or changed layout of multiple screens and now the saved position and size are out of view?

Does recompiling the application change anything?

4 hours ago, FPiette said:

Does the executable stopped working on your own computer or on many Win10 computers?

Have not tried on  other Win 10 comps.  App requires extensive database in specific folders (not good, I know).  Very difficult to set up on new machine

You said a form doesn't show, it is the only flaw?

That I am aware of, yes.

Are the form's position and size saved somewhere for the next run? 

No positions saved.

Does recompiling the application change anything?

Doesn't seem to.

1 hour ago, David Heffernan said:

Why aren't you debugging? 

Not sure how to attack this! (I have used interactive debugging since Cobol in mid '80s, working mostly Pascal since Turbo Pascal 1.0)  I think I may try to replicate the problem with a small test program without all the baggage of big app.

as some "controls" is a "shortcut" (Delphi in fact use "catch" the control definition from OS, do you know about? for another dont existent on OS, it is created in OP - Delphi, some like this) of O.S. controls, then, I would try do the sample with same logic in current IDE and doing same access to components and data and test it in YOUR developer environment and target environment.

Another tip, create a new Project (empty) add your units/forms, delete all files generate by IDE/Compiler (see on HELP  - is a little list) and REBUILD it and test.

ANOTHER IMPORT TIP:

ALWAYS IS IMPORTANT TRY SHOW YOUR CODE FOR ANALIZE, same a little part where the " thing" occurr... where begin and where end... if possible where the process pass by.

some details, like: the second form is created on-the-fly or in AutoCreate, you use catch the Exceptions, etc... details

hug

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, pgraham9999 said:

Not sure how to attack this!

i think that recompile your project with Debug (F9) you'll can trace it... but is possible do it remotely (on target machine) using PAServer.. please see on HELP about PAServer remote.

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/Remote_Debugging_-_Old-Style_Procedures

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/Installing_a_Debugger_on_a_Remote_Machine

and others topics about

Edited by Guest

I would put a breakpoint on the helper form.show line. Or simply drag the mainform around to see if the form is lurking behind. 

Edited by Pat Foley

Solved (sort of, I think!).  The TDBEdit was 2nd on the tab order, and burrier in the VCL  code it was being given the focus.  Moved it in the tab order.  It now doesn't have focus and onenter (yes - another mistake in my original description) seems to work find.  

Sometimes just explaining the problem to others helps you think about a problem.  (It's been a long time since the TP newsgroups!)

Thanks All

Phil